New to the Forum, maybe new to Comets soon

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Groover

New to the Forum, maybe new to Comets soon

Post by Groover »

Hi, Cometers,

I'm new to this forum, but not entirely new to the car hobby. I've been looking for, and thinking of picking up a late 60's Galaxie for about a year. My 13 year old son is "gear ready" and we need a project.

Then recently I saw for sale a 1964 Comet Caliente Convertible and I immediately started researching. I found this forum and some other sites and must say that I had no idea there was such a devoted group of enthusiastic Comet collectors. For that matter I had never even seen a Caliente that I knew of until I started researching.

It's carnival red, white top, with the 260 automatic that hasn't been run in at least 20 years. I've worked on a couple of engine rebuilds before and I have the space for that if/when necessary. I've never done any bodywork, however, and the undercarriage has some rust/integrity issues that concern me. The exterior body is all there (with all the chrome). Rocker panels have been filled, patched and painted, but they're brittle. Several holes in the floor pans have been patched, but not to perfection. Rear frame rail on the passenger side is soft in a few places under the trunk (above the axle).

I've seen the guy online who sells the floor pans and I'm already looking for the rockers (any leads)?

The questions are:

1. Are the rockers from the 1960-65 Falcon the same as for the Comets?
2. Assuming they are, and I find some to go along with a new floor pans, how many hours would it take to cut out the floor pans and rockers and weld in the new?

I'm trying to decide (worst case) how much money I'm getting into with this body? I've cross posted a similar question on the body forum.

Any help, advice, words of encouragement are enthusiastically appreciated. This looks like a great group and I'd love to be among the Cometers. At the same time, I need to be realistic about what I'm getting into. One reason I was after the Galaxie was the readily available parts and higher production numbers. Of course that makes the Galaxie far less unique.

If I end up making the purchase I'll be sure to post photos and share our progress.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: New to the Forum, maybe new to Comets soon

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Groover;welcome to the site! Falcons and Comets share alot of parts but I believe the rockers would be too short as a 64-65 Comet has a 114" wheelbase verses 109" for a 64-65 Falcon.Floor pans are available but I have not seen repo rockers.Frame rails are not being repopped so you would need to find a set or patch what you have.I repaired the floors in my 65 wagon,but if I had known had bad they really were I would have replaced them.All the work you mention is very time consuming even before you start the actual repairs as you basically need to strip the interior and running gear,plus clean everything where you will be welding!!Most shops around here[So.CA.] charge $90 to $100 an hour or more,so it adds up quick!! You need to deside if that is really the car you want to build or maybe try finding one that needs less structural repair. JMO,ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Groover

Post by Groover »

Thanks CA Caliente,

Would it matter if I said the price was only $1,000 (you can tell I'm trying to rationalize my way to yes ;)

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

If that Comet is what you REALLY want and the rest of the car is solid then go for it.You need to know that on unibody cars like a Comet,the rockers are a very important structural member,there is no frame to tie the car together,so replacing them can be quite a task.In fact the way the cars were built there is a reason for every brace and substructure especially on a convertible where you have no roof to help support the car. ROY.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Thanks again,

I found a body guy who's going to look at it for a local professional opinion.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Well, it took a little longer than I thought, but we're finally in!

My 14 year old son and I purchased this 1964 Comet Caliente Convertible today. The plan is to keep it as close to original as possible without going overboard, substituting elbow grease for dollars wherever possible, and have it cruising by this summer. As a backstory, I was looking for a Galaxie, but when I found this Comet, my son thought it was much cooler and I couldn't really disagree. The body lines are very unique and the reasonable condition of this felt like the right project for us. I'd like to add, that I doubt I would have gone this route if it hadn't been for this forum. After spending the past six months here, it clinched the deal for me, knowing you all were available to answer questions.

We'll keep you all posted as we progress. First major work session will come over Christmas break from school. Plan to tear down the engine and get started.

Here's a link to the photobucket.

http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee5 ... eCaliente/

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome!!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Nice V8 ragtop. Some body has no taste in engine colors though! :mrgreen:

Groover

Post by Groover »

I'm not an expert (yet ;) but it looks as though the engine color is correct according to this research article at Comet East.

http://cometeastcarclub.org/PDF_Files/enginecolor.pdf

??

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Groover wrote:I'm not an expert (yet ;) but it looks as though the engine color is correct according to this research article at Comet East.

??
Well, kind of. The 64 comet 260 still had a black engine like all the other V8's just the valve covers and air cleaner were orange red that year. Looks like someone sprayed your whole motor while in the car with that paint. The car looks pretty complete and should make a nice project. Keep us updated on progress.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Groover

Post by Groover »

Yep, like most other places, here under the shade trees of Southern Illinois we call that in-the-car-engine-paint-job a "rebuild" ;)

I'm looking forward to the project. My 14 year old son and I are taking it on. Trying to foster more of his already superior to my mechanical aptitude. I rebuilt a Ford 302 about 20 years ago in my Ranch Wagon, but that was out of necessity.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Groover wrote:Yep, like most other places, here under the shade trees of Southern Illinois we call that in-the-car-engine-paint-job a "rebuild" ;)

Ha! I think that applies in Southern Michigan also, :lol:
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Groover wrote:I'm not an expert (yet ;) but it looks as though the engine color is correct according to this research article at Comet East.

??
Thanks for the article. I scratched the Ford blue paint on my '64 200 valve cover, and sure enough, under it was white. My snorkel air cleaner seems to be undeniably black though. Of course that could have easily been swapped.

chris

Post by chris »

New to comets as well, and to the forum. Welcome to the site! WOOT WOOT!