rare 66 big block caliente

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
fryedaddy

Re: rare 66 big block caliente

Post by fryedaddy »

i might have alot more hp than i think.ive seen all those builders claim 550-600-650 i compair specs all the time and more than not my set up compared.plus my engine wasnt just slapped together. its been balanced,blue printed with alot of machine work.my uncle roger and s and g machine shop got together and built it for me. heres you a little story, bulls gap tn. worlds fastest 1/4 dirt track hobby stock class,chevy can run 454,dodge can run 440s but fords are limited to 390.my cousin would run my uncle rogers 390s. sometimes they [my uncle and cousin] would show up late not get to qualify,have to start at the rear of the field.you talking bout fun to watch,he would run throurh the field like swattin flies in the window,no wonder fords and mercurys werent aloud over 390ci. my cousin is win,wreck, or blow no other options
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Granddaddy, what night is that on at Bristol? Would love to come up for that one night, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

all most every thursday evening,5 to watch.10 to race street legal cars but if you have to trailer it it will cost you 15. they give a few decent prizes away to
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i put a little video of me warming my old comet up if anyone wants to see it theres a youtube link on the first page of this topic. these old FEs are cold natured. takes mine about 5 minutes till it smooths out and gets crisp.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

in the pic. on the first page it still had air shocks and street tires. got rid of the shocks and put on slicks. it looks much better now,down low with the bigger tires. dont forget to check out the video at the first of this topic
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

you cant see much in the video but the interior is all original except carpet over the luggage tray, no cracks in the dash. it still has the original carpet and floor mats.my driverside front bucket seat is coming apart at the seams. other than that. it still has a decent looking original interior!
fryedaddy

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Mighty cool Comet Fryedaddy! I'm not as familiar with FE's - what's the scoop on the Canadian heads? I would've thought big $ for heads and leaned towards like the Edelbrock aluminum stuff.

JH
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

when the cobra-jet factory drag cars won the winter nationals in 68,they used a different head than what came on the cars sold to the public.they made about 80 more horse power than the stock heads. when confronted by the officals,ford claimed they were canadaian heads sold on the cars in canada.the officals bought the explaination. now dove makes a alu. version of this head. im not too crazy about all of edelbrock stuff. i may go with the survival motorsports heads with the heart shaped combustion chambers. they are more modern but more$
fryedaddy

1966comet

Post by 1966comet »

I can't see the video. I also have a 66 390 with a 4 speed. It's all stock, my dad just parked it about 22 years ago and I took it out of the mothballs. New gas tank, sending unit, MSD wires, New coil and plugs. I also put a new Eddy 600 performer but the motor, tranny, rear end is all the way it came from when my parents bought it in 67. My dad found the original shifter and hubcaps so I've put them back on. I'm currently trying to figure out the wiring to the pertronix ignition and whether or not it's a resistance wire from the factory or not.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hey 1966Comet! Welcome to the forum! You can find out anything you want to know right here, just by asking. :D If you copy your post (except the video reference) to the Introduce Yourself thread, we can all get to know you and welcome you aboard. :wink:
Jim

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

the big million dollar question is, is it a cyclone or a caliente?the video is on page one of this topic.just click on the youtube video below the picture of my car
fryedaddy

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yup, welcome to the Forum!! It'll have a resistance wire. The original Pertronix unit will work fine with it. If your Eddy carb is electric choke - might be tough to find an ignition switched 12V though...if you hook + to say the coil, it'll open slow.

JH
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i dont know how my big block caliente topic turned into a introduce yourself topic. youtube video still on page 1.i wanted to do a video at the dragstrip,but they are closed for the season.i may do a street video if i can get my son to ride with me and film
fryedaddy

1966comet

Post by 1966comet »

Frydaddy, sorry, I was introducing myself as I have a 390 4 speed with a bench. Nice to see other 390's in a Caliente.