Loman's '65 race car

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
loman

Re: My stable of ongoing Comet projects

Post by loman »

I was able to get the dash back in today. Then I reconnected the battery and tested everything and all is functioning the way it should. The best part was being able to stand outside of the car and operate the throttle with one hand while reaching in the car and hitting the start button with the other.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2234.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2234.jpg (20.42 KiB) Viewed 6862 times

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ON all our race cars,we always mount a starter button under the hood in the middle under the windshield,,,comes in handy when you just need to bump the motor over...does away with a remote starter button in your hand....an old drag racer showed me back in the early 70's his on his drag truck,adj valves...pop
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

popscomet wrote:ON all our race cars,we always mount a starter button under the hood in the middle under the windshield,,,comes in handy when you just need to bump the motor over...does away with a remote starter button in your hand....an old drag racer showed me back in the early 70's his on his drag truck,adj valves...pop
A friend of mine has a remote button under his hood and I was always going to do that, but I was a bit lazy and never installed one. Moving the switches to the roll bar was something i've been wanting to do for a while but always put it off. Although one simple remote button would have been a heck of a lot easier than relocating all the switches. With the switch relocation there is a few more ulterior motives involved and hopefully they will be revealed this spring. The next thing that might/hopefully happen is a passenger seat be installed.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

loman wrote:
popscomet wrote:. With the switch relocation there is a few more ulterior motives involved and hopefully they will be revealed this spring. The next thing that might/hopefully happen is a passenger seat be installed.
Tags? 8) :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

TAGS>/////???????....we have just about made up our minds to make the RUSTY RELIC street legal and just drive it ,,in fact we are going to put street gears under it today if we get around to putting it on the lift,,those wide tires do make it a chore for sure,,pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Don't get me wrong, I love race cars! And with enough money I might even own a race only car but I love to drive just drive.
Out for burger or across the country doesn't matter and in my Comet just makes it the best.
Ya big rear tires,,, mine are no where near as big as the Relic's but some of the same problems.
I have one tall skinny spare that will fit on the front and is close to dia of rear, a small hyd floor jack and the stock bumper jack along when on the road but have never used them.
Besides driving Sassy for the last 44 plus years has kept me young! :lol: :roll:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

my son and my grd son(along with this 3yro grt grd son) keep OL POP young and hoppin everyday...along with a race car and hot rod thrown in from time to time...but I told son the other night after he told me he really didn't want no part of the rusty,it was all mine and he invested his time and money strictly for me,cause WE started it way over 20 odd years ago and I've always wanted a car like it,that I at going on 71 yrso would have more fun from it rather then taking it to a drag strip,just to drive it on the street....so we changed the gears today,,the lift and the cherry picker help make it a 2hr job and at that we weren't in no hurry...FRED,,, we plan on starting the cobra just after xmas,like the 1st of the year..it won't take long and it'll be on the road,,full bore with both 4bbl's sucking air......everytime I start to slack alittle,,,son tugs on my shirt sleeve and says pick the pace up just a tad,POP…..grd son just called,,said we are going to deer camp Tuesday morning for a few days,,,,POP has no chance of slowing down or getting OLD with this bunch that surrounds me everyday...what a blessing pop has not to mention this woman for 50 plus yrs.....thanks POP
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Like I said earlier, once you retire, you wonder when you ever had time to work! :lol:
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

told wife not to long ago,I need to find me a part time job just to level off my allotted time,might get more done around here,but have been retired so long that the thought of another alarm clock don't sit well with me,,,so reckon I'll stay like I am :!: I've gotten used to just depending on hungar pains to tell what time it is :shock: :wink: y'all have a great day ,,OL POP is for sure,in fact am loading up my old huntin truck to go back to deer camp in the morning for a few days with grd son,,I like to be down there during the week,better ...not as many people......got the entire lease all to myself.....POP
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Cool deal on Rusty. I don't know if you've ever done any drag racing but I think you should take it to the track and run the street class after you have her all street legal and ready. And launch as soon as you see that last yellow come on.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP has drag raced for yrs and yrs,street raced behind the airport and at many a red light,.MUDD drag race for a few yrs,raced everything,dang ner raised my son at a drag strip,,still have my 64 stang that I raced,in fact the 4spd in Rusty came from it,still own my 84 5.0 mercury capri that we built over 20 yrs ago just for me to race on the strip and on the street from time to time...my son was driving his 67 fst back that I built him when he was 10yrso when he was 15 on the drag strip...POP never got into dirt raceing til this grd son got to about 14 ,he wanted to that instead of drag raceing,,so me and son put all drag raceing on the back burner,and put all the attention on him..POP was 60 yrso when he 1st drove a dirt car and I won the championship that very year,,,,Rusty will go to the drag strip sooner or later,,and in away that scares me just a tad,,I may want to go back...to often..at almost 71 I told son that I may not be able to OL RUSTY just,,,that;s the big reason pop is just leanin toward street driven it to shows and the like.....thanks for the advice anyway,,,please don't take this wrong,,,this ain't OL POP's first dog fight....thanks ….POP
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Cool.

And I understand about waking the old desire. I've said racing is kind of like a drug habit.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lip Ripper wrote:Cool.

And I understand about waking the old desire. I've said racing is kind of like a drug habit.
yes sir it sure is...nothing like the smell of a drag strip....thanks STACEY......pop
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

SASSY wrote:
loman wrote:
popscomet wrote:. With the switch relocation there is a few more ulterior motives involved and hopefully they will be revealed this spring. The next thing that might/hopefully happen is a passenger seat be installed.
Tags? 8) :mrgreen:
Tags, hmmmm...most likely not.
There is a track in southwest Mo that twice a year they have a day they call Ride Along Friday. They just released their tentative schedule for 2019. The Ride Along Friday is on the schedule again. One in spring and one in fall. My plan/idea was to give crew chief aka dad, a ride or let him drive and I ride or both. Now that I seen the schedule, I need to ask him if he is game for the idea. If so, a couple of weekends of work I should be able to have a passenger seat and harness mounts installed. Also, I haven't mentioned it, but a couple of presents must have fell out of Santa's sleigh that I didn't tell the crew chief about yet. An extra seat and fire jacket amazing landed in my yard.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

loman wrote:There is a track in southwest Mo that twice a year they have a day they call Ride Along Friday.
Where? And if you do it, and it is close I would try to come see you run.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058