Loman's '65 race car

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
loman

Loman's '65 race car

Post by loman »

I thought I'd start a thread for my Comet stable since I have started working on another 65 (this is my 4th one). This past weekend I got the new quarter skin tacked in. Next step is to get the trunk drop replaced and replace the rest of the rust on the inner wheel well.

Last edited by loman on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Groover

Re: My stable of ongoing Comet projects

Post by Groover »

lookin good. What the long term plan? Another drag racer or something else?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lookin' good (in an ugly sort of way). :lol: :lol:
Jim

loman

Post by loman »

The plan on this one is to make a driver out of it. The car was rearended pretty badly. I bought the car for a parts car 20 years ago, but before i took any parts off of it my dad and I decided to see if it would run. We put a battery in it and all the electrical stuff worked, headlights blinkers, horn, heater blower, etc. We fiddled with the carb and eventually got it running. Put it up on jackstands, added some trans fluid and voila, trans and rearend worked. I never took any parts off it since I owned it, but have borrowed a couple here and there. I junked my original 65 Comet the other year but saved what was left of the rust and bondo rear quarters and thought I would try to put them on this car. If it works out, I will do the mechanicals and make a driver out of it. If it doesn't work out, it will still be a parts car. The patch panel I put on the other day is one I bought off of ebay a couple of months back.

loman

Post by loman »

I'm also trying to get my leaf springs to settle down on my other car. I'm using my snow weights until I need them this winter. The concrete tires have been in since last Monday.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That's a neat idea I haven't seen before. Did you make those for that purpose, or to hold a tent down? They probably weigh 300 or 400 lbs each? :shock:
Jim

loman

Post by loman »

I made them for that purpose. I have never had 4WD vehicle until this year. First sign of snow, I backed up to the shed grabbed the engine puller and loaded up. Never have been stuck. People I work with in the city have asked me how I get around living in the country with 2wd. I just laugh at them. This will probably come back and bite me now. I'm not sure how much they weigh. I made them many years ago and don't remember how much Quickrete i used. There might even be an empty beer can or 2 in the concrete. :lol:

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Nice Comets and a great idea! I never had a problem before I went 4WD either - enough weight and decent snow tires will usually do the job!! :) :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

five0merc

Post by five0merc »

Where did you get the trunk floor pan? From a parts car or new ones? I have found falcon ones, but it says that they won't fit in the comet.
65 comet caliente 418 windsor/t6/9"

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

We don't have much snow down here, but a number of years ago we had a storm that dropped about an inch of sleet covered by 2" or 3" of snow while I was at work. Before I left the plant, I shoveled the bed of my truck about half full of the stuff. :idea: Didn't have a bit of trouble getting home.
Jim

loman

Post by loman »

five0merc wrote:Where did you get the trunk floor pan? From a parts car or new ones? I have found falcon ones, but it says that they won't fit in the comet.
I haven't looked that far ahead. But since this is going to be a driver, i'm not worried about originality. I'll buy some sheetmetal and make my own pieces.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Wow you got some work to do!
Looking good!
When I swapped springs it took a few months driving with concrete bags in the trunk to get it to settle.
Makes me wonder...when a Comet rolled off the assembly line were they ass high and settled over time? Or are spring makers making generic springs with the wrong arch? :|

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Nice work! You did a great job on that rear quarter panel, makes me feel better about working on mine!

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

loman

Post by loman »

I took the concrete tires out of the car yesterday and took a measurement. The drivers side came down about 5/8" and the passenger side came down 1/4". It has been a week and 1/2 since I first put the weight in the car. I put the concrete tires back in and I'll wait another week or two unless it snows and I need the concrete for my truck.

comet guy

Post by comet guy »

Hi: Nice work on your 65. Keep the pictures coming as you proceed with your work.

Robert