Loman's '65 race car

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
Rocket989

Re: My stable of ongoing Comet projects

Post by Rocket989 »

x2 on the extinguisher man! Too many close calls! Keep one in the car too! Brother had an injector pop out driving his 'Stang home this past weekend. 'Bout 40-psi will move A LOT of gas FAST! :shock: :shock: :D :D :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Rocket989 wrote:x2 on the extinguisher man! Too many close calls! Keep one in the car too! Brother had an injector pop out driving his 'Stang home this past weekend. 'Bout 40-psi will move A LOT of gas FAST! :shock: :shock: :D :D :mrgreen:
saw a race car crash one night,had an 'lectric fuel pump,fire broke out,,,he did not have the safety switch on the motor,,,that pump fed the fuel to that flame as fast as it could,,,car nearly burnt to the ground.......but not having the SS ON THE MOTOR WASN'T this dummy's 1st mistake,,when he climbed out of that flameing car..HE WAS WEARING SHORTS AND TENNIES AND A TEE-SHIRT,the only safty item he had on was a helmet....when that track owner saw that,he flew out of the tower and went to the wrecker driver,had him load that burnt piece of junk on the man's trailer,then went to the said dummy,told him to leave and never come back to his track again......rule of thumb...if you can't be safe ,,you can't be NOTHING....
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

I haven't posted in a while because sometimes life just gets in the way. A quick update. I have rebuilt the carb on the project car and now you hit the key and the 2 bbl just purrs along without trying to burn down the shed.
A month or so ago, I had the original steering box rebuilt by
Chockostang (great guy and good person to deal with)on my blue/green car. The steering is nice and tight now. I took it to the track and the car was still drifting out of the groove. I'm thinking the slick sidwalls are just that wore out and the car is moving around because of that. We checked the ball joints and tie rods and everything seems good. Makes me appreciate how straight my black car goes at fast speeds. Anyway, I bought Cal Tracs for the slow car and I'm in the process of installing them. I gave up on putting weight on the car over the winter to get the leaf springs to settle down. After some trial and error of removing various leaves, I've removed one leaf and the car should sit more level once I get everything bolted back together.
As for the black car, I made it to the semi's a few weeks back and lost. Then last night, I made it to the finals and then proceeded to red light. Unfortunately I had a brain fart on the starting line and was a severe red. I launched the car and ran it only to half track since I red lit. If I would have had a green light, it is a good chance I would have broke out because that was the best 60' time of the day which I would never have expected at that time of the night and with the engine good and warm.

Pro Final
Driver
Hometown
Model
R/T
Dial-In
ET
Speed
Winner Rob Fisher Humboldt, IL 66 Chevelle Wagon .522 7.42 9.195 51.29
Runner-up Curt Hoeft Wright City, MO 65 Comet Foul 6.56 6.736 84.43

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Alignment maybe on the "drifter"?? Sucks on the red light...had my share! Always bugged me more when it was a Brand-X in the other lane too!! :) :lol:

You're right on about your black Comet...a lot of folks don't get how tough it is to build/ rebuild a ride much less get everything in order to do well on a drag strip. A LOT of time and typically a lot of $$!!

loman

Post by loman »

I'm testing the new picture upload attachment thingy.
I finally got my new trans and converter that I bought as a backup installed in the race car. I had a couple of issues with the converter. This converter is a real pain in the a$$ to get installed in the tranny. Then I installed the trans and found I didn't have enough clearance between the converter mounting pads and flexplate. Took everything out and sent converter to machine shop. Got unit back and reinstalled. Went to install converter bolts and one hole won't line up. Took trans back out and removed flexplate and modified to fit. Hopefully today I can get everything else reinstalled and fire it up and test it in the driveway. Bad part is, I don't know if I will have an opportunity to test at track being so late in the year.
Attachments
resize.jpg
resize.jpg (101.43 KiB) Viewed 4188 times

loman

Post by loman »

I got new wheels and tires for the slow car. They are Jeg's sport stars 15 x 7 with 4" backspacing. Pretty tight on drivers side but plenty of room on passenger side.
Attachments
resize tire clearance.jpg
resize tire clearance.jpg (70.69 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
resize tire clearance 2.jpg
resize tire clearance 2.jpg (75.12 KiB) Viewed 4186 times

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

A 6.56 in the 1/8 and you lifted? What does it ET on a full pass? That's gettin her down the track now.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

loman

Post by loman »

Stacy,

6.56 was my dial. I lifted and ran a 6.73 at 84 mph. If i didn't lift it probably would have been around 105 106mph.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

What's the mill?
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

loman

Post by loman »

The mill in the fast car is a 460 stroker. The slower car is a mild 351W.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Factory welded perches on the tire pic?? I know mine were a little off on both rear ends. :roll:

loman

Post by loman »

I tore down the race motor today. I had a lot of thrust bearing issues when I first ran the motor. I finally got that sorted out a couple of years ago. After 3 seasons of beating on it, the thrust bearing showed no signs of wear. :D . I am very happy about that. However, I did notice what I believe to be main cap walk. I noticed it on 3 of the 5 caps. I also noticed some wear in a couple of cylinders. Hopefully I can take it by the machine shop in the next couple of weeks and decide what needs to be done.

loman

Post by loman »

Today I installed a new dual reservoir master cylinder on my white project car. Installed new brake lines,wheel cylinders, and shoes on passenger side, but need 1 more part to finish drivers side. I was going to do that tomorrow but I heard one of the 1/8 mile outlaw tracks near me has decided to open tomorrow. So I took the car off jackstands and shoved it in the corner and dug out my slow race car so I can try out the new street slicks and cal tracs. I think I might have an attention span problem. :D

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

What 1/8- mile track around here?? I didn’t think there was anything left anywhere close. Nothing wrong with attention more focused on fun than work!!! :mrgreen:

loman

Post by loman »

Rocket, the track is about 1:45 minutes for me. It is in Bonne Terre Mo. It used to be a sand drag track up til' a few years ago. I don't know if it is the same owner but they layed some asphalt and started bracket racing. The track is narrow and very short shut down. They posted on their Facebook page on Wednesday that they were going to be open for today. Soon as I drink my coffee, I'm loading up.