1965 Comet 202 project

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
lavron
Site Admin

Re: 1965 Comet 202 project

Post by lavron »

ArkansasComet wrote:I'm not sure who would want to steal a Comet sedan door so hopefully it is just a mistake by Greyhound & they can locate it.
We all know the high value of the 2 door Comet sedan doors :lol:

Good luck and hopefully they will find it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Sounds like a few issues, but, hey, that's hotroddin'. The fun is half in the driving and half in the tinkering. We're lucky here to have several stations within a couple of miles of my house with 90 octane ethanol-free gas. That's what I put in the Comet and all my small-engine tools like lawn mower, chainsaw, etc.
Jim
JIM..I put 87 in my comet,,,I tuned it yrs ago to run on that cheap gas..it starts and dies good,,runs cool,just never gives a problem....put the gear drive in way back in the 90's and have not never touched it since... and I timed it by ear and drove it and adj till it was where I wanted it..if I was to ever super tune it and maybe start using better gas,,,,I might be SHOCKED ! but for it's purpose ,,it will stay as is.....good luck.........pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That double sucks! will Greyhound reimburse you for all the money that you're out? You would think they would need some ID to get the door, I dont see how someone could be ready for that.Hopefully it will turn up, perhaps a package mix up,someone got the wrong package.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SURE THERE WAS A PAKAGE MIX UP !!!! someone was waiting on a new wristwatch to come in the mail and they took a door instead...... :!: :!: don't be surprised if the where abouts of the door don't come with a hefty ransom...... :? :shock:
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

x3 what the h*** is an unintended recipient gonna do with THAT?? :roll: IMO they’re full of crap...keep squeezin’ ‘em!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Fortunately the lady I spoke to at Greyhound customer service was very polite & tried to be as helpful as possible (after she confirmed it was not a prank call & I was who I said I was!). The seller sent me a pic of the door all boxed up so I e-mailed that to Greyhound to help them locate the box, they are hoping it is sitting in a distribution warehouse nearby, so I'll keep my fingers crossed! In the meantime I'll take my frustrations out by hammering on my old door, by the time I feel better it will probably be pretty straight! :D

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

My dad had a 28 Model A roadster rumble seat lid shipped from the mid-west to Atlanta back in the late 60's. It was never seen again once it left the seller's custody. It shipped motor freight boxed up in a wooden crate. :roll:
Jim

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

I took a break from working on the Comet after some bad luck gathering parts but I am back on it now! I did a few hours of welding on the engine bay/shock towers this weekend. I also scored a good deal on an Edelbrock F4B intake to replace the one I lost in a fire, & I picked up a used Holley 600 cfm carb for it. Here are some pics...

My Comet surrounded by my brother's projects...

I still have some grinding & welding to do on my battery tray delete panel but I got tired of grinding & decided to do some welding on the shock towers instead. I'll be adding reinforcement plates to the shock towers next (hopefully this week).

I rosette/plug welded the firewall crossmember I added to help tie everything together & fill in the holes I made drilling out the spot welds on the stock shock tower braces. The holes that remain are where the new shock tower brace bolts on. There is a 1" piece of box tubing running underneath the lip that will tie into the bracing I did on the outer kick panels. I also added some gussets on the underside of the crossmember to attach it to the firewall.

The Edelbrock F4B intake cost me the same as a new Weiand stealth intake, but since the Weiand is now cast in China & finish machined in the USA I decided to keep it old school & get the Edelbrock intake. I have seen the new Weiand intakes & was not impressed with the quality.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Weldin’ looks good!! :D That looks like an 1850 carb, but the thingy in the center of front float bowl? Any part #’s on the air horn??

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Thanks Rocket! You are correct, it is an 1850, the thing on the primary bowl was for a fuel bowl vent valve, it looks like my carb had one & it has been plugged to eliminate the vent. As you can see from the pics. this carb is pretty dirty & will be getting a rebuild in the near future!

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Picked up a "new" passenger door yesterday! It has a few holes I need to fill but that will be a lot easier than trying to straighten out my old door

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Heck yah! For any sheet metal you can find & that's ready available...less work = better in my book! :D

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:lol: I'm just trying to imagine how goofy that mirror looked on the side of that door! :lol: but that's a good looking door! & the last body panel that you needed, right???? little by little, bit by bit, it's getting closer. should be a lot tighter with all the stitch welds & adding the bracing. keep after it!!!!!
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:I'm just trying to imagine how goofy that mirror looked on the side of that door!
My thoughts as well, must have had a tall arm on it :roll:

Can you ask for more it is even red :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Ya I assume the doors had big towing mirrors or something on them? They came off of a Ranchero but luckily the guy has normal mirrors on his Ranchero now. This was the last major body panel I needed, my only big hurtle left is getting the rear quarters welded on which I have been holding off until I figure out how I want to do the inner wheel wells. The door is red like the rest of the car but to be honest I am tired of the red haha, hopefully soon I can get the car stripped & primered a different color as I am not a fan of red! Anything to help motivate me to keep moving forward! haha