My '65 Comet Caliente

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
falcon428

My '65 Comet Caliente

Post by falcon428 »

Here are a few pics of the comet, I posted a few in intro section, but think I should of put them here. Sorry if any inconvience. I can delete the others if needed.

b.guggenmos

Re: My '65 Comet Caliente

Post by b.guggenmos »

That is a nice looking car. I think I see ladder bars under the rear? Give us some details an the mechanicals for us gear heads? Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Looks great, how about a picture of that FE under the hood?
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Brian;no ladder bars,Caltraks,this was built by Robert Pond. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

falcon428

Post by falcon428 »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Brian;no ladder bars,Caltraks,this was built by Robert Pond. ROY.
Roy is right, this was built by Robert Pond, Its still wearing its original paint, she is solid through out. He did an excellent job on it spared no expenses. It one of his aluminum blocks, edelbrock heads worked over, solid roller cam, one of his crate motors. He built this for himself, didnt get time to have fun with it as much as he liked so decided to let it go. It has a C6, aluminum driveshaft, currie 9" with 3:70 gears. Interior was redone back to basically stock look, heater and radio delete, still shifted on the column, all stock gauges, and an old Shelby tach. Shock towers were cut back and plated, removable crossmember, aluminum radiator, drop springs in front, Caltracs and split mono at the rear. Motor dynoed 622 hp. /602 ft. lb. torque on 93 octane gas.

It drives great, has really good manners on the street and loves to haze the tires at will, even running MT et streets. I have been to the track one time so far, run 11.50 @ 118 mph. 1.80 60 ft. spinning coming out. She has alot more potential, need to get the column shifter dialed in , need to get her to hook better. Only has 2600 or so stall (guestimate), but wouldnt handle alot more than that with 8.5" tires. Its alot of fun and I didnt buy it for a drag car, so wont be making to many changes.

I was looking for a '64 or '65 Comet Cyclone to do an AFX clone. I also wanted a 427 side oiler for the power plant, been looking forward to the day that I could build a 427. Only cars I could find were really rusty (Typical Ohio cars), then I stumbled across this on E-bay, its was everything I wanted and more, not the exact style....LOL but I fell in love with it. Tried to get it out of my mind, then I made the mistake of calling Robert and talking to him, after that I was doomed. Have put other projects on hold for this and sold a past project to get it, but I have had a blast since.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

I saw the Comet right after he bought it when it was all stock!!! It is a very solid Comet,was WAY out of my price range when I saw it come up for sale. I really like your Starliner,one of the best looking "Big" Fords!! ROY.

falcon428

Post by falcon428 »

Thanks Roy, The '61 Starliner is probably my favorite Ford car, if I could only have one that would be my choice. I hope to do a frame up rotisserie restoration on it in a few years. George Poteet did a Starliner the way I would like to do mine, I dont know if I would use the same tire/wheel size combo, but love the rest of the build, especially the Cammer.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

falcon428 wrote:Thanks Roy, The '61 Starliner is probably my favorite Ford car, if I could only have one that would be my choice. I hope to do a frame up rotisserie restoration on it in a few years. George Poteet did a Starliner the way I would like to do mine, I dont know if I would use the same tire/wheel size combo, but love the rest of the build, especially the Cammer.
I love 61 Starliners also! My favorite is also powered by a Cammer but owned by John Vermeersch. Here is a picture, check out the front license plate, Michigan plate and SOHC two cool things!
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

I'm not a fan of the big wheel-short tire look on older cars.The Poteet Starliner is a beautiful car,just con't get into the wheels!!! Too each his own,and it is his car!! ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

falcon428 wrote:Thanks Roy, The '61 Starliner is probably my favorite Ford car, if I could only have one that would be my choice. I hope to do a frame up rotisserie restoration on it in a few years. George Poteet did a Starliner the way I would like to do mine, I dont know if I would use the same tire/wheel size combo, but love the rest of the build, especially the Cammer.
Did you have your Starliner at the Norwalk Dragway Ford event a few years ago? I always talk to the owner of these cars when I see them at the track and I remember talking to a guy with a Black Starliner with a 352 or 390 back in 2007 or 2008. If that was you I guess we already meet. :shock: I am one who will remember a car over someones face. :P Anyway, when you get a chance post a picture of your Starliner, I would love to see it.

Here is a picture of my 65 Cyclone taken at Norwalk at that event, maybe you recognize it?

Larry

64 289

Post by 64 289 »

man that starliner is doing it great looking car
Only push bikes and mobility scooters have two pedals

falcon428

Post by falcon428 »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
I love 61 Starliners also! My favorite is also powered by a Cammer but owned by John Vermeersch. Here is a picture, check out the front license plate, Michigan plate and SOHC two cool things!

Roy,
Thats what I was talking about on tire/wheel combo, not my taste either, I like the look of John V. Starliner also, have seen that car amny of times, much better tire/wheel combo ( old school).

falcon428

Post by falcon428 »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Did you have your Starliner at the Norwalk Dragway Ford event a few years ago? I always talk to the owner of these cars when I see them at the track and I remember talking to a guy with a Black Starliner with a 352 or 390 back in 2007 or 2008. If that was you I guess we already meet. :shock: I am one who will remember a car over someones face. :P Anyway, when you get a chance post a picture of your Starliner, I would love to see it.

Here is a picture of my 65 Cyclone taken at Norwalk at that event, maybe you recognize it?

No I did not have the Starliner there, this year was my first year to make it and I had the Comet.

JP2323

Post by JP2323 »

I have to tell you that I just started a 65' caliente and hope it looks as good as yours upon completion! This is a great looking car, thanks for showing it off!

JP

falcon428

Post by falcon428 »

Here are a few more pics of the '65