Pics of Pops Comet

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
popscomet

Re: Pics of Pops Comet

Post by popscomet »

your correct JOHN,,I'll have him take more pic's,,y'all wait to see how this car is put together,all hand polished one at a time stainless steel bolts and washers and nuts,,,this ford took me and DWAYNE 3.5 YRS TO BUILD,,it has a 1976 351w with alumn heads,custom built alumn rad and custom built SS FUEL TANK,,Dwayne made every knob on the dash but the 2 on the radio,on a lathe,,and all the alumn work under the hood,,,,,the front end componants ,the drive shaft the custom cross member under the trans the rear end housing and backing plates have all been blasted and powder coated,,,,it has the AT and the rear end out of my comet,,,there is too much to mention,,,son will be out here in a day or so and if weather is nice ,will back it out of it's climate controlled room and have him take more pic's,,GLENDA is very picky when it comes to this old ford....WE completed it in april of 96,it was a gift to her from us for always helping and being with us on all our raceing ,mudd trucks,4whl drive stuff what ever we wanted to do or take part in or build she always supported us in every way she could,,so the 56 represents our thanks to her,,,,and she's very proud of it....truth be known,all it ever started out to be was for her to have something different to drive to SONIC on sundays for a burger and fries....OH ! IT HAS MSD SHIFT KIT IN THE C4 AND a small stall converter with a small cam...pic's will come
pop/glenda

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

That's a nice looking '56 Pop! Reminds me of my brother's old '56 (though his was not nearly as nice). Looking forward to seeing more pics. of it!

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thanks,back in it's day of showing it every week end ,,it was a show stopper for sure,,,,but she never let me trailer it,she always drove it.....back in the day of showing it,,,,she would have me put it on the lift and she cleaned and polished the bottom side,,she even waxed the exhaust system,,used many pkg's of Q-TIPS TO get in all the tight spots,,,,,many thanks to JOHN AND SON FOR coming up with a way to post some pic's...we'll get ur {pic's}done.... :D
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

For me the '56 Ford was the nicest looking car from the 50s, it seemed that it hit a perfect style for the time.

In the 60s I am pretty sure it is the '64 Comet :P if I was picking just one :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yes that's a beautiful 56!!
Great story on the car. Pop your lucky to have her and she's lucky to have you!!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

albert

Post by albert »

Nice story Pop and very nice car. Want to see the new pics when your son does them. Sounds like the whole family was deeply involved in that build. I always like the red and white combo. I miss my 56 Meteor (Canadian Ford) which was a 2 door sedan with a thunderbird 312 in a two tone green combo.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THANKS ALBERT,this ford had the 4bbl 225 hp thunderbird special,with the dual exhaust exiting thru the rear bumper,with a 3spd AT transmission......the color is 90mustang white and red,,I flat refused to paint it myself ,,reason being she was and still is so picky,I had it painted and told her if she finds a flaw somewhere,,,,,take it back to THEM !! after 3.5 yrs we were tired of it...but I had it painted white 1st so the red would be very bright....and had all the SS TRIM hand polished to a bright glem and also the car was took all apart everything even the dash came out,then put back together like a toy model car,,me and son done without a lot of sleep for those 3.5 or so yrs..but the end result was well worth it and GLENDA'S reaction to it was priceless........
pop/glenda

albert

Post by albert »

POP you must be proud of doing all that work with your son and then be rewarded with a loving response from Glenda. My 56 Meteor Rideau had the same setup with the Thunderbird 312, 4BBL and yes also the dual exhaust through the bumper. The 56 Meteor would have been exactly like your car except the grille and some trim was different. See pics on link below

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=19 ... ORM=IQFRML
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AND I like the grill and side trim a lot,the crown vic and the 2drht is very sharp,those were mighty pretty cars...was asked at the STREET MACHINE NATONALS,what all it took to get the exhaust to come thru the rear bumper so neat and clean and how many rear bumpers I had to use up before I got it perfect......they were shocked when I told them it was factory,,that ford done it if the car came with that motor set up and the club sedan trim.....{ I think the town sedan with that engine also had that rear bumper} thanks ALBERT......POP
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Pretty gosh darn awesome...dunno how I've missed this thread!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

albert

Post by albert »

popscomet wrote:AND I like the grill and side trim a lot,the crown vic and the 2drht is very sharp,those were mighty pretty cars...was asked at the STREET MACHINE NATONALS,what all it took to get the exhaust to come thru the rear bumper so neat and clean and how many rear bumpers I had to use up before I got it perfect......they were shocked when I told them it was factory,,that ford done it if the car came with that motor set up and the club sedan trim.....{ I think the town sedan with that engine also had that rear bumper} thanks ALBERT......POP
POP, I am amazed at how many cars that you and I have had that are similar if not the same. here is my short list of my favorite Fords that I have had: 1956 Meteor Rideau (same as Ford Club Sedan) 312 4 BBL auto, 1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie XL 390 fastback - Rangoon red (my dad's car which I drove more than he did), 1964 Comet Caliente - red- 289 with 3 on the tree, converted to Hurst floor shift, 1965 Comet Caliente Convertible - burgundy/white top 289 auto, 1967 Ford Fairlaine Convertible -springtime yellow/black top 289 auto, 1977 Ford F100 - orange/white stripes 302 auto, 1977 Monarch Sport edition. white 302 auto, 1963 1/2 Falcon Sprint Convertible- white/white top/red interior, 260 factory four speed, and finally my current 1965 Comet Caliente. Owned a few Chevys including a Corvette and lots of English sports cars but always like Fords because I worked for them for several years as a young man, as did my dad. Later in my business life drove only Lincolns, one of the best cars ever made.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP is not going to start listing all I've had...I too have owned a few chevys at different times..but at the same time I always had a ford for dependable back up..I just could not keep a chevy under me,,,I could take a roll of bailin wire and some elect tape and drive a old ford around the world....thanks ALBERT.................POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:POP is not going to start listing all I've had...I too have owned a few chevys at different times..but at the same time I always had a ford for dependable back up..I just could not keep a chevy under me,,,I could take a roll of bailin wire and some elect tape and drive a old ford around the world....thanks ALBERT.................POP
FORGOT TO MENTION,GLENDA'S 56 HAS DISC BRKS ALSO....... :shock: :D
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Re: Pics of Pops Comets

Post by poboyjo65 »

Some pics of Pops' prostreet 64

Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

this was started 23 or 24 yrs ago,,,life got in the way and it was shoved to the side,,the floors are great as the qtrs....I still have every piece of this old comet....
pop/glenda