mini tubs or full tubs

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
pro64

mini tubs or full tubs

Post by pro64 »

anyone out there running a mini or full tub on there 64, if so would appreciate any pros n cons on the options. im considering minis with a 4 link coilover system, using 13 by 30 tire .. would like to keep back seat n intereoir intact....

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: mini tubs or full tubs

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I have huge tubs in my 65,could run a 33X16 tire if I needed it,no issues with a back seat,my Comet is back-halved,narrowed frame rails.If you look at the rear bulkhead there is a small rounded pop out,not sure why,then look at where the rear torque boxes are,you will see that tubs will not come into the back seat area.I ran a 13.5X31X15 tire on mine,no problem.I don't run a back seat because of the cage,but in my buddies Comet we mini-tubbed it for 30X10.5X15 slicks with stock frame rails,he runs stock back seat with his . ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

My car is a little of both,, but 275-60's on 10 in. rims is about the max.
IMO, I wouldn't do full tubs unless u put in some other reinforsement ( cage and rails)
because the stock tubs are part of the overall strength. Mini tubs, maintain
the sturcture for the most part.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

On this old 64 pro street project I got sitting out back,it has 40 in tubs and 33x19.50"s on the rear and it has the back seat in it,and sub frames are tied together. POP
pop/glenda

pro64

Post by pro64 »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:I have huge tubs in my 65,could run a 33X16 tire if I needed it,no issues with a back seat,my Comet is back-halved,narrowed frame rails.If you look at the rear bulkhead there is a small rounded pop out,not sure why,then look at where the rear torque boxes are,you will see that tubs will not come into the back seat area.I ran a 13.5X31X15 tire on mine,no problem.I don't run a back seat because of the cage,but in my buddies Comet we mini-tubbed it for 30X10.5X15 slicks with stock frame rails,he runs stock back seat with his . ROY.
hey appreciate ur input , ur 65 must look awsome. thnx

pro64

Post by pro64 »

popscomet wrote:On this old 64 pro street project I got sitting out back,it has 40 in tubs and 33x19.50"s on the rear and it has the back seat in it,and sub frames are tied together. POP
hey pop sounds like u have some serious rubber on that 64.

pro64

Post by pro64 »

SASSY wrote:My car is a little of both,, but 275-60's on 10 in. rims is about the max.
IMO, I wouldn't do full tubs unless u put in some other reinforsement ( cage and rails)
because the stock tubs are part of the overall strength. Mini tubs, maintain
the sturcture for the most part.
Fred
yea i have some thinking to do would like to keep interoer complete pro street for my 500 big block

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

PRO64,,,when you bend down and look from the rear ,it has the apperence of 55gal.drum on each side.looks cool as heck! I had all this stuff I had bought from a machine shop owner who was getting ready to PRO street his 64 2dr 202,but sold the body before he started on it.A semi retired matal fab friend of mine said to me one day,ROBERT,I ain"t never PRO STREET anything,being you have all this stuff already built for a 64 comet,and you have a nice 64 2dr ht extra just sitting there,let me take everything home and see what I can come up with,,,so we hauled it all about 60mi to his place.YEAR or so went by,by now I had forgot all about it,then one day he called and said come get your comet.He did a nice job.this was way back in the 90"s. I wish I was good as most of the y"all about posting pics.I don"t know if I"ll ever do anything with it.my son wants it today,tomorrow he"s changed his mind,been that way for yrs.so it just sits there.Between my trucks tractors and cobra kit car,I"ll never do anything with it. WHO KNOWS I might get a wild hair some day!!!I bought a brand new B M super charger to use on it ,never have used it.thanks for your time,,POP
pop/glenda

pro64

Post by pro64 »

popscomet wrote:PRO64,,,when you bend down and look from the rear ,it has the apperence of 55gal.drum on each side.looks cool as heck! I had all this stuff I had bought from a machine shop owner who was getting ready to PRO street his 64 2dr 202,but sold the body before he started on it.A semi retired matal fab friend of mine said to me one day,ROBERT,I ain"t never PRO STREET anything,being you have all this stuff already built for a 64 comet,and you have a nice 64 2dr ht extra just sitting there,let me take everything home and see what I can come up with,,,so we hauled it all about 60mi to his place.YEAR or so went by,by now I had forgot all about it,then one day he called and said come get your comet.He did a nice job.this was way back in the 90"s. I wish I was good as most of the y"all about posting pics.I don"t know if I"ll ever do anything with it.my son wants it today,tomorrow he"s changed his mind,been that way for yrs.so it just sits there.Between my trucks tractors and cobra kit car,I"ll never do anything with it. WHO KNOWS I might get a wild hair some day!!!I bought a brand new B M super charger to use on it ,never have used it.thanks for your time,,POP
cool story pop, would love to c pics if u figure it out thnx....

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I post that little story,to clerify any thoughts of me building it,my friend did a very nice job on it,and I deserve no credit,its all his.One day I'll get it up on my lift and take picsand post them....thank-you pop
pop/glenda