My 63 project

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
rjones35

Re: My 63 project

Post by rjones35 »

Took the car for a spin the other day, for the first time in a while. Man it was fun! I noticed though that the clutch seemed like it needed a little adjustment. It was kinda tough getting into gear. So I got to messing with it, did the planned adjustment, and while I was doing that I realized that my clutch pedal linkage needed some attention. It was at a weird angle and had extra slop because of that. Evidently at the time when I put it together, it seemed like the thing to do? I don't know. Anyway, after squeezing myself between the wall of my little garage/basement and taking it all apart and putting it back together it seems to be working alot better. Haven't actually driven it yet, just back and forth in and out of the garage. Goofy that I thought that linkage was right when I put it in initially. Could have been alcohol involved in suppose...

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Good deal man - always nice when hard work pays off. Hear you on tight quarters. I still think somebody oughtta develop quick-detach seat mounts. You wouldn't look FORWARD to working under the dash, but it'd sure help!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Quick release seats would be cool. Wonder if those quick release pins would work? Might be tough to keep them tight enough I suppose.

Went for a little drive tonite. Clutch definitely works better!! Woohoo!!

Next is the exhaust leak, or leaks maybe. Doesn't sound bad from outside, but inside it sounds terrible. Hmm, maybe I just need some sound deadening stuff on the metal floor. And I'm sure all the holes in the firewall don't help either......

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

From the drive the other day.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Been awhile. Haven't really done anything new to the car except advertise it for sale. Drove it a couple times last week, still loads o fun. I've been thinking that if I don't sell it, there are some things on the list to do. Thought about the crites kit to move the springs in so I can put a little wider tire. If I'm going to do that, I would probably go ahead and replace the leaf springs while I'm at it. I saw some listed on Macs with a 1 or 2 inch drop, problem is I have no idea where stock would sit on my car. Also listed 4, 5, or 6 leafs? My guess would be 2" drop with 5 leafs, just a guess though. Along with that stuff, new rear shackles. And I still need to come up with a parking brake, since I have none, and am a little nervous parking anywhere that's not too flat. Door locks is another one. Again Macs lists them. It would be nice to be able to lock the doors AND be able to get back in, easily. This stuff is on top of all the other stuff - tires, sound deadener stuff inside, export bars (which I still need to shorten and install!). And all kinds of little stuff - trim, exhaust leak, piece to cover blower motor hole......

I did get a thumbs up from a guy in traffic the other day, that's always neat

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Car is definitely cool - I'd keep it! :D So how much of the p-brake stuff do you have?? Get a wheel chock 'til you get it working! :D :D Also, I forget - is yours a 63.5 V8 car? IIRC they started the 2.5" wide leaf springs...didn't think there were that many options! I hear ya on the door locks!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Rocket989 wrote:Car is definitely cool - I'd keep it! :D So how much of the p-brake stuff do you have?? Get a wheel chock 'til you get it working! :D :D Also, I forget - is yours a 63.5 V8 car? IIRC they started the 2.5" wide leaf springs...didn't think there were that many options! I hear ya on the door locks!!

Thanks! I do carry around a piece of 4x4 just in case. Yeah, 63.5 v8. I know! I expected 1 or 2 options, so many to choose from!!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Rocket989 wrote:Car is definitely cool - I'd keep it! :D So how much of the p-brake stuff do you have?? Get a wheel chock 'til you get it working! :D :D Also, I forget - is yours a 63.5 V8 car? IIRC they started the 2.5" wide leaf springs...didn't think there were that many options! I hear ya on the door locks!!

Forgot - I have none of the parking brake stuff except the handle. I'm not even sure if the parts in the rearend are there.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I think I can get springs, bushings and shackles through macs with shipping for about the same price as getting them through general spring here in kc and picking them up. Still need to figure out the height. I'm thinking a 1" drop 5 leaf sounds right. Still don't know how high stock would be, but I don't want it too low!!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

So the carpet process has begun. Well I've taken it out of the box anyway.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:lol: Funny how you say you're gonna sell it, then go buy something for it. :lol: :lol: Too bad you aren't close I have a set of 68 stang/torino rally wheels with dog dish caps that would look good on there!
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

poboyjo65 wrote::lol: Funny how you say you're gonna sell it, then go buy something for it. :lol: :lol: Too bad you aren't close I have a set of 68 stang/torino rally wheels with dog dish caps that would look good on there!
Yeah, selling it wasn't going anywhere so figured I'd keep it and make it better. Carpet to make quieter and cooler inside, hopefully. New leafs for a better ride. Funny you brought up wheels, they're on the list too. Originally planned on just keeping the rusty black ones, but I really liked the way the white wheels looked on it when I got it, so I might go back that way, then tires, then who knows....

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL POP is a fan of the white whls also.....but not the lug nuts or the hub......those being painted ruins it
pop/glenda

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

popscomet wrote:OL POP is a fan of the white whls also.....but not the lug nuts or the hub......those being painted ruins it
Yeah I agree. That's how it was when I got it. It won't be like that when I do it.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

A little closer to having carpet. Snowed here today. Next weekend is supposed to be sunny and warm I think, then I'll warm the carpet in the sun, make it nice and pliable and put it in there.