Ant's 65 Comet Build

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
ants875

Re: Ant's 65 Comet Build

Post by ants875 »

Got this last week and today the builder came out to the shop to help me get it all dialed in, I'm super happy with how it runs with this carb. he had to change the idle air bleeds up from a 70 to a 73, he really wanted a 75 but he was out of those in his kit so we may need to change that again but for the moment it is running perfect, the plugs look great at idle and down the road as well. My timing light crapped the bed today and we have a slight bit of valve ping under load so I think I need to move it a little bit once I get my light fixed (or replaced). Anyway it was what I needed to get this running how it should, in fact the builder was impressed with the amount of power that this little motor makes!!

I know your going to ask, (Roy don't hate me for this) its a 750 double pumper and it is all that they said it would be. one thing that surprised me was how light these thing are, In fact when they handed me the box I asked if they were just giving me and empty box or what the deal was!!

Ant

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Ant - good deal man; glad to hear it's running good! Can't quite tell from the pic...is that the annular booster (AN) SS carb? I believe they rate those ~40-50cfm less due to the size of the boosters. Bet throttle response is great!!

And yea, the first time I picked up an all aluminum carb, I was shocked!

JH
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Rocket989 wrote:Ant - good deal man; glad to hear it's running good! Can't quite tell from the pic...is that the annular booster (AN) SS carb? I believe they rate those ~40-50cfm less due to the size of the boosters. Bet throttle response is great!!

And yea, the first time I picked up an all aluminum carb, I was shocked!

JH
Its a down leg booster, we talked it around for a while and I have read some mixed things about the annular ones and they were another $60 they are already almost $600!!) so I went with the down leg and I'm super happy

Ant

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Anthony;good luck with that carb,A LOT of money,but it should be a good carb!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

ants875

Post by ants875 »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Anthony;good luck with that carb,A LOT of money,but it should be a good carb!! ROY.
Roy,

It was a lot but almost all the new carbs are in that bracket and my builder got it for me at his cost which was almost a hundred less the anyone online. After he played with it today it is running great, though he gave me the disclaimer that we may need to tweak it some more and that we'd only know after driving it, my only problem is the wonderful Washington patented liquid sunshine has started and it's really not a lot of fun in the rain! I am impressed so far neither of my it other carbs ran half this good.

Ant

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Ant - didn't you use MOOG 8090's and swap out for the 8088's? I can't make a decision...want the nose up a bit but not mile high!!

Thanks...JH

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Jh,

I have the 8090's in my car I never did swap them since they have settled a lot since installing them. I got calverts to send me their plus 1.5" rear leafs and I am now very happy with the ride height, I will say that the rear leafs are pretty stiff, the car has a pretty bouncy feel going over bumps but I am used to it already.

Ant

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Rocket989;if you want the nose high,try using 390 Mustang Springs,fit very well,been there,done that!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thicker upper spring isolators will raise the nose too!

Ant good to hear your running strong with the new carb!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Rocket989;if you want the nose high,try using 390 Mustang Springs,fit very well,been there,done that!!! ROY.
Years ago I swapped all the 6cyl 4lug stuff to a 64289 AT,in a 63 falcon,I tried 390 springs and they were to much for my likeing so I went with the 65 289 springs out of the ranchero that I robbed the 5lug stuff from......but that's jmo..and you can put a dollar 3.85 6bits and a quarter with and go micky D's :lol: :shock: pop
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks guys - pretty much want it to sit at stock height! Will be doing Shelby drop and I hear it'll only drop the height ~1/2" or so since you're basically just lowering the control arm. I don't want a super stiff spring, just to keep ride height at stock or a wee higher!

JH

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Drove the car today, ran real good but I still have some valve rattle under load. I finally changed the rest of the spark plugs since we put the new carb on, we changed the number one and used it to tune the car when we installed it. With the broken hand I have not had the ability to do much on it until now. Anyway when I was done with the plugs I checked the timing and it was at 22 initial with 44 total, I backed it down to 14 and 36 but that as too much. I can tell it's not as snappy so tomorrow will bump it up and see what it does.

Ant

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

Just read your entire buil thread. Very good work! Dont feel bad about the thrust bearings, i went through 3 sets, and 1 crank. Turns out that my convertor snout wasnt machined deep enough and would bottom out on the crank, pushing it forwards instead of the flex plate flexing. Everyone I talked to pin pointed it to the trans or converter as that was the only thing I changed. Everyone kept saying to check the converter endplay once the trans was bolted up, but no one thought of the foreward endplay that you can measure. Ended up spacing the converter back and so far everything has been good. The first time i dropped the pan it looked like an alaskan gold rush full of copper chips!

ants875

Post by ants875 »

65clevorcyclone wrote:Just read your entire buil thread. Very good work! Dont feel bad about the thrust bearings, i went through 3 sets, and 1 crank. Turns out that my convertor snout wasnt machined deep enough and would bottom out on the crank, pushing it forwards instead of the flex plate flexing. Everyone I talked to pin pointed it to the trans or converter as that was the only thing I changed. Everyone kept saying to check the converter endplay once the trans was bolted up, but no one thought of the foreward endplay that you can measure. Ended up spacing the converter back and so far everything has been good. The first time i dropped the pan it looked like an alaskan gold rush full of copper chips!

I know how you feel! The thing that still baffles me is that my car is a stick so I should not have that issue, anyway so far it seems to be OK.

Here's to hoping we both are past this issue!
Ant