65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Postby lavron » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:37 pm

I like it 8) I am a fan of black wheels with a chrome ring (I may have said that already)

See Ya,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, My first car, I have owned it since 1979!
Restoration/Upgrade on a BUDGET - Working on; 250-6, T-5, 8.8 LSD, MII, Air Ride - Whatever I do it will be awesome!
lavron
Site Admin

Postby bigdan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks, fellas! The black looks really good to me so it'll stay for now. Almost have new brake lines bent to replace the ones I jacked up, and since the saw horse is out of the way dropped the tank half in to start fitting that up.

Cut/ buff on the hood is finished, so ill start on the roof next and work my way down. It'll probably only need 2500/3000 then the pad, but the quarters, doors and fenders will take a little work. Still, moving along. One last pic -

Dan
Currently diligently patiently trying to complete my 65 Futura long term project . . .

bigdan

Postby loman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:02 pm

Dan,

Everything is looking good. You are going to have one nice ride when you are done.
loman

Postby bigdan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Ok, fellas. Looking for engineering expertise :mrgreen: . In my install of my rear end I left off the vent for the housing. It never occurred to me that it would be an issue, but, it is. :evil: Every style of vent that I have on hand, both aftermarket and stock, is too tall (1 1/2" or so) and gets really close to my coil overs. I don't want to pull the housing, disassemble, plug the hole, drill and tap another, yada yada yada unless i have to.

I did come up with a plan of sorts, however. Since the vent hole is tapped 7/16-20, my thought is to cross drill the hex head of a flywheel bolt, cut it down to 1/2" or so, gun drill it 5/16 and voila! Vent! Thoughts?

Dan
Currently diligently patiently trying to complete my 65 Futura long term project . . .

bigdan

Postby poboyjo65 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:35 pm

That should work! I got in the same predicament. although I did plan ahead :roll: before I carried my rearend to guy to shorten I noticed the old hole was going to land where the ubolts would be. So I welded it up & drilled & tapped a new one. Einstein pulled the tubes from the center to shorten them,(who woulda thunk it? :? :? ) which put the hole closer to the center & then he put the tubes in the wrong side, among other mistakes. so I put a short one in it like this one from curry;
https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-9028

but unfortunately it leaks :roll: :roll: :x not terrible but it seeps some. may be because it is too close to the center.
347, 4sp, 9''
JOHNO
poboyjo65

Postby bigdan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:45 pm

I've got one similar to the Currie and it's a little close; it's almost 1 1/2" long too. I guess we can't think of everything LOL! I think since its out towards the end of the housing i shouldn't have many seepage issues. I guess I'll try this and see what happens.

Dan

bigdan

Postby Rocket989 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Nice rear!! :D :D I think that'll be plenty of vent. I went & looked at my old stock one...doubt it's as effective as your creation. Shucks, any air pst those through-holes will be like a siphon! Might work too well...........nah!! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic!! :)
Rocket989

Postby bigdan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:13 am

I decided, before building my brake system, to go with all AN fittings this go round. IMO they're simpler to flare and less prone to leaks, so that's the way I went. I spent a few evenings plotting it out front to back to make sure I had everything ordered, then got started. Just one issue - better get it all right because I can't source fittings locally . . .

So . . . . I forgot one fitting. One! LOL

I did decide to use a longer flex hose from the axle to the body, so ill wait on both. Fuel cell is in, fuel line is routed through/under all the way to the firewall, so i can strike that from the list for now.

Now onto a quick steering box rebuild and then the cut/buff begins in earnest.

More later -

Dan

bigdan

Postby lavron » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:39 am

I guess I didn't know you could use AN for brake line. I still need to get the flex line from axle to body (and all new hard lines) I bought new flex lines for the axle already but I need to make the hard line that goes between them, I was waiting until all the brackets got welded on and everything re-painted (which is close).

bigdan wrote:then the cut/buff begins in earnest.

Glad I am not too worried about my body right now, mechanical stuff is enough for me :roll:

Everything is looking good Dan.

See Ya,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, My first car, I have owned it since 1979!
Restoration/Upgrade on a BUDGET - Working on; 250-6, T-5, 8.8 LSD, MII, Air Ride - Whatever I do it will be awesome!
lavron
Site Admin

Postby bigdan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:46 am

Lavron - The calipers and master cylinder are still inverted flare. No matter how hard i try, the bubble flare seemed to have an 80% success rate for me, and since i made approximately 1,000,000 AN flares during my shipyard days, I went that way. Speedway had pretty much everything needed.

On the paint, I'm not looking for a show car, but there's a few runs and a little peel here and there I want to correct is all. A solid 10- footer is fine by me!

Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Previous

Return to All in the Family, Comet's Ford Sisters