Pop's Cobra build.

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
popscomet

Re: Pop's Cobra build.

Post by popscomet »

WE ain't done just a whole lot during the holidays,,but in the last couple of days we foundout those whls don't work with disc brks,so we had to use a spacer there fore the lug bolts had to be longer,DWAYNE changed them all out and put the correct ones in the hub,,all is good now,we have used spacers for yrs on these race cars so ,it is nothing that worries us,,this is not our 1st rodeo !!!...right now work is alittle slow,,but after so many yrs,,,,we take it in stride.....this is gonna be one awesome COBRA,,,PUT TOGETHER WITH ALL NEW EVERYTHING...RIGHT DOWN WITH NEW BOLTS NUTS AND WASHERS,,,,THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.....POP AND DWAYNE …..
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

popscomet wrote:....this is gonna be one awesome COBRA,,,PUT TOGETHER WITH ALL NEW EVERYTHING...RIGHT DOWN WITH NEW BOLTS NUTS AND WASHERS,,,,THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.....POP AND DWAYNE …..
Lol I believe it will be great,,,, but all that new hardware,,, is it really necessary?
I'm sure your like me and you go rummaging in a big old box a junk for that special nut only to find that you have to hunt down a tap to chase the threads cause they're hurt, then you have to go for a pee, then someone calls happy hour and all productive activity ceases. I forget your wife's name at the moment but she comes along and mentions that errand you promised to run earlier. That store happens to have a hardware section and you think to yourself,, I shoulda got a new one there but half way home now! Too late now guess I'll just chase that old nut tomorrow,,
Man, now that I think about it I should start filling up that bolt bin I have,,,, :lol: :lol:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SASSY wrote:
popscomet wrote:....this is gonna be one awesome COBRA,,,PUT TOGETHER WITH ALL NEW EVERYTHING...RIGHT DOWN WITH NEW BOLTS NUTS AND WASHERS,,,,THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.....POP AND DWAYNE …..
Lol I believe it will be great,,,, but all that new hardware,,, is it really necessary?
I'm sure your like me and you go rummaging in a big old box a junk for that special nut only to find that you have to hunt down a tap to chase the threads cause they're hurt, then you have to go for a pee, then someone calls happy hour and all productive activity ceases. I forget your wife's name at the moment but she comes along and mentions that errand you promised to run earlier. That store happens to have a hardware section and you think to yourself,, I shoulda got a new one there but half way home now! Too late now guess I'll just chase that old nut tomorrow,,
Man, now that I think about it I should start filling up that bolt bin I have,,,, :lol: :lol:
THAT'S all true to a point,,,, :shock: :lol: and in a few times we will chase a thread,,,but over all,we are trying to use mostly new fasterners,,,FRED,you have to remember,OL POP has waited over 21 yrs for this cobra to be built,,have been thru yrs of show car building and yrs of car shows,yrs of drag racing and more yrs of dirt track racing,,not to mention deer hunting,work,building a new home and a much bigger and nicer shop...and just doing for other people....I've waited ,now it is POP's turn for this cobra to be built,,so all feet and hands are thrown out in full force to make it happen...I've worked and saved for this cobra and bidded my time....the time is here,,,her name is glenda///,,,,thanks POP
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

One of the things my dad left me was an extensive used nut and bolt collection. He grew up in the Depression and was a firm believer that you never discarded anything that may have the slightest possible usefulness to it. He built a large metal rack with multiple shelves, each filled with metal bread loaf pans (a salvage yard find) full of nuts and bolts. It's like going to the hardware section in Lowe's except everything has a rusty patina. He's been gone for 7 years now, but I thank him all the time for saving me a trip to the hardware store. :lol:

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:One of the things my dad left me was an extensive used nut and bolt collection. He grew up in the Depression and was a firm believer that you never discarded anything that may have the slightest possible usefulness to it. He built a large metal rack with multiple shelves, each filled with metal bread loaf pans (a salvage yard find) full of nuts and bolts. It's like going to the hardware section in Lowe's except everything has a rusty patina. He's been gone for 7 years now, but I thank him all the time for saving me a trip to the hardware store. :lol:

Jim
I have a wooden box with single bins built in it that my DAD brought back from germany in 1960,,when we he got transferred back to FT HOOD ,texas,,it's been a GOD SENT MANY TIMES,with different nuts and bolts and such many times,,,not ever boltnut an washer on the cobra is new,,but many are....we don't short change this cobra build...but we are not stupid ,,,,we don't have a budget,,,,but we aren't wasteful !!!! common sense has to take front and center sometimes.....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

update !! brk lines are run to all 4whls..take sunday off !! Monday,will hook master cyl up ..we work alittle each night,,altho during holidays we didn't spend hardly anytime working...ought to have brks in a day or 3..brk lines are timeing consuming when you do not want any unions then have to be....this cobra has a 4.5 ride height..thats low !! so tonight we decided to put a skid plate under it under oil pan ,trans almost to rear end,,,so that's more work,,,,we will have to build it from scratch...we hope to test fit the body in 2 wks to get pictured in our mind how it will fit...PIC's will come soon,but we are really not into posting pic's.just when we happen to think about them...we don't look for a pat or a word..hope no one takes that the wrong way...we just do what we've always done,,we build what ever,we don't try to impress,we just do what we like to do ...build stuff !! thanks POP,and son...….
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:PIC's will come soon,but we are really not into posting pic's.just when we happen to think about them
It is tough to remember to take pictures for me when I get in the groove working but I do it for a couple of reasons, first my memory is not the best and I like having a visual record I can reference back to. And second I like to show rather than try and explain what I have done when I share them on here (I try to do both) certainly not looking for kudos either, sometimes I am a little reluctant to show some stuff because I do something different than folks think it should be done and being told how I am doing it wrong when really it is a different way (relates to a discussion I had with my late uncle on skinning a squirrel :roll: )

Anyhow glad to hear you guys are progressing and can't wait for pictures :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Right on! Enjoy the build.
Doubt that I impress many but linking a pic is easier than explaining anything with my single finger typing! :lol:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

sounds like you guys know where POP is coming from... 8) 8) thanks for checking in on our progress....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

believe it or not,there has been lots of work done..went to a spacer on the front whls so that whls won't rub calipers,,then lug bolts were to short,,changed out them and trimmed to length,,cluch cable installed and the manual adjuster mounted on fire wall to adjust clutch under hood ,,not on back under it,,,,,did not want emercy cables,,so son used a set up that ties into rear brk lines,,kinda like a line lock for the front......and the adjustable brk bias is mounted,,,,SON made a nice panel for the gas regulater and starter sol,,they are mounted...DWAYNE said in about 2 wks we are gonna put body on for checking different measurements,,got to check openings in side for side pipes to come thru,,might have to massage alittle,,and to install dash panel....we hope the 4post lift will come in handy for that,,raise it up and strap body to bottom side and lift high enuff and roll frame under it and let down body,,,,if it works out that way ,,then him and me can handle....if not will call in some back up help,,,,,that's about it for now,,,DWAYNE said he'll post pic's soon....thanks....POP
pop/glenda

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

Some pictures of the progress since I last posted. Brake & fuel lines, body on chassis etc.
2-1G.jpg
2-1G.jpg (191.14 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
2-1H.jpg
2-1H.jpg (151.53 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
2-1I.jpg
2-1I.jpg (191.91 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
2-1J.jpg
2-1J.jpg (169.06 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
2-1A.jpg
2-1A.jpg (195.8 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
2-1B.jpg
2-1B.jpg (198.91 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
2-1C.jpg
2-1C.jpg (199.79 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
2-1D.jpg
2-1D.jpg (175.07 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
2-1E.jpg
2-1E.jpg (177.87 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
2-1F.jpg
2-1F.jpg (194.26 KiB) Viewed 2678 times

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Coolness 8) starting to look like a car.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

MAN! That's lookin' GOOD! 8)

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you have no idea just how much work it has taken to get it to just this stage...and make it RIGHT !!…. THE BODY WILL COME BACK OFF in a week or so and put back on the body buck...we needed some measurements...this is a kit car ...you build and make it all work together.....this ain't no toy ! anybody can take a comet apart and put it back with new parts or a bunch of welding and metal work....but to start with a blank piece of paper and build a car ??...their instruction book sucks.....this is a chore !! to us it has to be perfect..or it won't past muster.....thanks for looking.....POP
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Great to see pics of the progress, looks great, digging the unibody too
Last edited by SASSY on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.