‘64 Falcon Track Project

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
comethead

Re: 64 Falcon Track Car

Post by comethead »

I hear ya Pop! :lol:
I’ll get to the cage soon enough. Kinda been dragging ass on it but it’s time. I’m keeping all the glass and guts just in case :wink:
It’ll be tough to get this one back to complete street driver status but I guess it could be done...not by me! It’ll have to be the next sucker cursing me and calling me a dummy!! :lol:
If I ever get to wanting to drive this on the street I’ll get in the Comet! This one has one single purpose- to go down a road race track as safely and quickly as possible 8)
Busch light!!!?? :x :lol:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

lavron wrote:Yeah! Pictures :lol:

Good to see progress.

See Ya,
Mike
Thanks Mike! Man in my world ANY progress is good! It’s been slow going for sure but I’m really not in a rush. It’s just a “wonder if I can do this” kinda thing haha! :D

Joe

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

comethead wrote:
SASSY wrote:I always thought a cage was an early part of a race car build? How many race cars U built anyway? :mrgreen: :P
I’ll put a dang cage in when I WANT to put a dang cage in!!!! :lol:
Seriously, this is still “early” in the project. Most the interior stuff is coming out for the cage so...yeah

To date I have built exactly...0 (zero) race cars. To be clear this isn’t a “race” car. I won’t be competitively racing anything or anybody. Just a dedicated track day car :mrgreen:

Joe
I figgered! :) :lol: :mrgreen:
Well we'll see if a race doesn't happen when a camaro pulls up beside you on a "track" day,,, :P
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:I hear ya Pop! :lol:
I’ll get to the cage soon enough. Kinda been dragging ass on it but it’s time. I’m keeping all the glass and guts just in case :wink:
It’ll be tough to get this one back to complete street driver status but I guess it could be done...not by me! It’ll have to be the next sucker cursing me and calling me a dummy!! :lol:
If I ever get to wanting to drive this on the street I’ll get in the Comet! This one has one single purpose- to go down a road race track as safely and quickly as possible 8)
Busch light!!!?? :x :lol:
do you have busch light out there ??…...GLENDA keeps asking me how many do I need to drive ??? she said the other day,,after over hearing me and son talking about putting OL RUSTY street legal,she said ROBERT,you have 3 trucks 4,after you replace the clutch in your ranger,,your comet and soon the cobra,,,just how many does it take ?your retired,you don't have to be anywhere at a certain time...I said shoot fire babe,I'm kinda like the highway dept when you pass by them working on the roads...1 man working 5 leaning on a shovel watching him work and 2 talking on a cell phone,and besides I really need one for every day of the week,so I need to fix my f350 flat bed cause unlike most I don't rest on sunday...she rolled those green eyes and walked away,,talking to her self,all I made out was something like lord help me in this next 52yrs))(((pop sure loves that woman,,,just don't ever mention it to her))))(((( :wink:
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys sure know how to https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bu ... %27s+balls
#2 and #3

:mrgreen:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I'll say this for sure,and it can be took to the BANK....POP's heart beats for the sole purpose for that time a dang camero pulls next to that light weight cobra...I may not be as good as I once was..but I'll be good once as I ever was..just tonight,me and son was talkin about this very thing,,he said DADDY ANY TIME you say it ain't fast,,he said we'll jerk that 289 out ,work on it or go back bigger..... :!: :shock:
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Fred and Pop, on the roll cage I had read that welding it in with the drive train installed and weight on the wheels is ideal because chassis flex and all that.
What do you think?
I’m sure plenty of cages have been installed both on bare body shells and on complete cars being made into track cars.
Just wondering on your opinions

Joe

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JOE,that's a very good question..in our case it depends on the driver of the car and by that I mean this...on my car that we built for me then I later gave it to son,we rolled it on it's side and welded each and every spot weld we laced that thing together also installed sub frame connecters and with the cage it has no flex, it's as riged as can be in the turns,,I liked it and son did also and the same car has won 3or4 championships between us and many many 1st places,,,,,,,,but on the other hand CORY my grd son does not like his that stiff he likes the flex in the turns he prefers just the stiffness the cage alone puts in it and his does not have SF connecters,also his car is a championship and many a race winner also,,,so we build our cars just for whom ever drives it...we do not build any for other people,,just for us..my answer may not have helped you in your case but it's the only way I knew ….
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Pop! Every little bit helps. Especially from someone who’s done it!

I’ll be ordering up the pre-bent cage tubing soon and jump right in!! :wink:

Joe

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe, I only "bust your balls" cause I like you,,, :wink:

Don't think it will matter motor in or out the chassis won't be in a jig so it will move some when welded either way.
I think it should be stiff though . I've always been told n read that shocks and springs should do the work.
I circle tracked a Falcon on pavement and it held the track qualifing record for several years against a fleet of camaros.
6 point cage that was just bolted onto the car so those little Falcons are stiff to start with!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yeah I know Fred! :lol:Thanks!!
I sure do miss the king of ball busting...ol Roy! When he was having a bad day boy the world of “scrubs” knew it :lol: But he’d give you the shirt off his back!
Your Falcon must have been cool beans to watch on the track. I’m thinking a big part of it keeping the record for that long was the mad man at the wheel! :twisted:

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

popscomet wrote:JOE,that's a very good question..in our case it depends on the driver of the car and by that I mean this...on my car that we built for me then I later gave it to son,we rolled it on it's side and welded each and every spot weld we laced that thing together also installed sub frame connecters and with the cage it has no flex, it's as riged as can be in the turns,,I liked it and son did also and the same car has won 3or4 championships between us and many many 1st places,,,,,,,,but on the other hand CORY my grd son does not like his that stiff he likes the flex in the turns he prefers just the stiffness the cage alone puts in it and his does not have SF connecters,also his car is a championship and many a race winner also,,,so we build our cars just for whom ever drives it...we do not build any for other people,,just for us..my answer may not have helped you in your case but it's the only way I knew ….
Hey Pop since this is my thread and we can bs all we want here-
I drove my kids up to a small copper mining town in the mountains of northern Nevada to visit a railway museum. They have around 15 running locomotives from the early 1900s steam engines to a few 1950s Diesel engines. It was cool to see and we got to ride for about an hour through the snow covered mountains and visited the engine house. There were a few old union boys still working there maintaining the machines. I thought of you when I was walking through that shop.
My kids had an unforgettable experience! :D

Joe

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

COOL !! thank you for the thought....some of those old guys live and breath those old locomotives,,,and they have all of my respect,,they laid the track for the rest of us...your thread my thread his thread...who really cares ? there is a short list of thread hi-jackers on here and ME and YOU are at the top...I know I am..and I like it that way !!!.....thank you again and take care of those kids......pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

popscomet wrote:COOL !! thank you for the thought....some of those old guys live and breath those old locomotives,,,and they have all of my respect,,they laid the track for the rest of us...your thread my thread his thread...who really cares ? there is a short list of thread hi-jackers on here and ME and YOU are at the top...I know I am..and I like it that way !!!.....thank you again and take care of those kids......pop
Ah no,, I think it's 3wide at the top,, :mrgreen:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Ah no,, I think it's 3wide at the top,, :mrgreen:[/quote]
well,welcome cause there's plenty of room always for one more.... :lol: 8) :lol: pop
pop/glenda