65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

I'll have to start calling around once the headliner arrives, Johno, and like you, I definitely plan to install myself. I've held out for a while looking for an original windshield, but haven't found one in good enough shape. I just didn't want to buy one with all the rest of the glass original, but oh well. I definitely have time!

Thanks for looking -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So, talked to the machine shop today; dropping everything off tomorrow morning. Got the drivers vent window installed, then back over to the passenger side, one thing led to another, and - Pow. Glass, latch, lock, handle, done. Just gonna keep plugging along -

I do wish my glass was a little better since it's scratched up pretty good here and there from PO's in the past, but it's nothing I can't live with.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Small update. Door and quarter glass and weatherstrip are complete. Short block is at the machine shop, so starting to lay out the harness for that fun portion of the project while waiting for the final few pieces of the puzzle. It's a painless 21 circuit harness, seems well thought out for sure. Step one is to lay out all the different circuits, separate then and get a few measurements. It's designed to install on the drivers side through the firewall, but that's a little tight due to all the other items crowding that corner, so my plan is to install it in the old fan motor hole area instead, as long as the instrument panel circuit is long enough.

I need to start fabbing up a few little trim brackets as well; I'll probably start with the lower sail panel pieces based off of a donated piece from Johno years back . . . See the little piece bottom right?

More later -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cool, keep us well informed on the wiring, I will have to do that sometime soon so I will be watching.

Keep it up Dan.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:Cool, keep us well informed on the wiring, I will have to do that sometime soon so I will be watching.
Definitely. I spent the morning getting everything separated out and getting to know how it's supposed to work, so I can deviate from it LOL. In all seriousness, my biggest concern was wire lengths switching the fuse panel to the right side, especially the instrument panel wiring and the left headlight/turn signal wiring. Doesn't appear to be any issues since these cars are so small - they definitely include enough wire length!

Some circuits will never get used (cruise control for instance) and some will be later on (radio, heat) but it doesn't appear to be too bad thus far. Time will tell i guess.

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Dan.....did you go with the P/N-10123 kit?
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Dan.....did you go with the P/N-10123 kit?
Jim
I'm using the 20103, "universal" muscle car harness.

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Quick update before a few long weeks at work. Since I'm not reusing the factory fan box/plenum, and the left side of my firewall is so busy, I decided to use the existing fan motor hole for the bulkhead penetration. I had whipped up a block off plate a while back, so i drilled the plate out and got both sides of the harness installed after separating all the circuits. Spent the afternoon carefully pulling each circuit to make sure all were long enough. The only circuit that was close was the headlight switch, but there's still an extra 18" there. So, I'll start wrapping/ routing/ hiding what I can while waiting on the machine shop. More to follow -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Last few pieces of the puzzle slowly showing up . . .

Dan

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Wow!! Nice looking heads :D
tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, fellas. I'm stoked to have most of the parts here, ready to go, waiting on the machine shop. To bring everyone up to speed, here's the engine plans.

Factory roller block, 0.030, with an Eagle 3.25 stroker crank (331), forged Mahle pistons, 28 oz balance. Spent a little time with AFR's gurus explaining goals (350 - ish to to the wheels) and went with the Comp XE cam (roller) they recommended. 1.6 Harlan Sharps, AFR 185 heads with 2.02/1.60's, all ARP hardware, 8 quart milodon deep sump pan.

Waiting to measure pushrods, but ready to get it together and in the car. In the meantime, I'll route and wrap wiring circuits and wait on my headliner!

More later -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

In the interest of finishing one day, I stole a table from my wife and got busy. Trying to take every chance I get to keep moving forward. Burnt a little midnight oil last night and got the trunk trim on, trunk weatherstrip, trunk lock, headlight buckets, wrapped the headlight circuit, etc. Since I'll be using H4 bulbs/tri-bar headlights with integrated turn signals, I piddled with that fitment as well. Just trying to eat this elephant, one bite at the time LOL :lol: -

Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So I've spent a few days playing with the wiring harness deciding final routing, wrapping with wire loom, etc. Was able to get the instrument cluster wired up and ready to install also. As soon as I insulate the firewall, I'll start installing switches, cluster, etc for good.

Still waiting on the block to be ready, but hopefully I can pick it up this weekend.

More to follow -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Didn't have to burn the midnight oil at work tonight, so was able to start firewall insulation and continue with the wiring.

And now to wait for a few days off for some good fun . . .

Dan