65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
lavron
Site Admin

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:Daze has a write-up on using a Fox 'Stang lever, etc. that looks promising.
I picked up one of those E-Brake handles off a fox body and am going to install it in my Comet if I ever get there, after having to use the under dash handle twice to stop my car (when I blew the front wheel cylinders) I wanted something more convenient and with a bit more leverage.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:Hindsight; If I had it to do again I'd have it exit in front of the back wheel.
I had 3" side pipes that exited just in front of the rear wheels on my first 65 Cyclone. It sounded great (I was 19 and the more drone the better 8) ). but the problem was the impact of the products of combustion on my rear wheels. I had American mags all around, and over a period of months, the rear mags would start to look dull and discolored. They were the dickens to get clean again. My current car has the pipes exiting just BEHIND the rear wheels, but I think I'll eventually reroute them to the rear due to concern for long term impact on the rear quarters.
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

A few more updates. Remembering I needed to get one of my boys in the back seat, I decided that the door bar was not helping. So, I decided to redo the door bars to open up access . Which meant I needed to detour and make my bender air over hydraulic . . . But, in the end, problem solved. The trunk floor was hammered out by my oldest son after we made the stencils for another paying project, so it's his input to the finished project. More to follow -

Dan

Definitely room for improvement.
Improvement!
Additional brace.
Slight detour during the cage redo . . .
The boys trunk floor.
Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Nice LONG weekend to get all the Flags out and flying proud and then work on the 65! Opentracker racing Lower control arm camber kit / fiberglass bumper mockup are the goals for this weekend. Happy birthday America!

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Some progress, but not as much as I'd hoped. I got distracted building a welding cart for a little stick/tig setup I have, so chasing squirrels as usual. :mrgreen: Finished welding up the trunk floor, then removed my bumper brackets from my old beat up bumpers to fit the fiberglass bumper up. Blasted the brackets then shot a little paint. Lower camber kit showed up from Opentracker, so I'll tackle that tomorrow and hopefully get the rear bumper fitted as well. More too come.

Dan

Pitted with age, but aren't we all? :mrgreen:
Lower camber kit. Very good service from Opentracker.
Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

More to report. Started to fit up the rear bumper and discovered my brackets were tweaked quite a bit to the left, so spent some time straightening those before my oldest was of to cut the grass and I ran out of extra hands LOL. So, lower camber kit. Got the car back up in the air again, stripped, and started fitting the plates/ shims. Best I can tell the end result will give approximately 7/8" adjustment on the LCA. More to come.

Dan

A pile of front end stuff again. Can't count how many times I've had this apart and back together now!
Tacked in, ground, ready to weld.
Tacked in, ground, ready to weld.
Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Someone said after installing a big 1'' sway bar & some spirited driving that their sway bar mounts started to detach or tear. I only wish I would have read it while mine was all apart, but it'd be a good time to beef them up for you.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

poboyjo65 wrote:Someone said after installing a big 1'' sway bar & some spirited driving that their sway bar mounts started to detach or tear. I only wish I would have read it while mine was all apart, but it'd be a good time to beef them up for you.
John - it would be pretty simple to stitch weld the brackets and add a gusset for reinforcement. Kind of silly I missed it; both aprons have been stitched inside and out at the firewall, both shock towers stitched inside and out, and any other place I could think of or find a spot welded seam. Thanks for the adding to the list :mrgreen: - Ill get right on it.

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Dan it's better to have something on the ''to do'' list than the ''wished I'd done it'' list. I used the vario centric kit too. It made alignments easier with the 2 adjustments separated. I also made adjustable strut rods that really helped make fine tuning the final caster adjustments easy.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

poboyjo65 wrote:Dan it's better to have something on the ''to do'' list than the ''wished I'd done it'' list. I used the vario centric kit too. It made alignments easier with the 2 adjustments separated. I also made adjustable strut rods that really helped make fine tuning the final caster adjustments easy.
I agree wholeheartedly! I'd never thought of the sway bar deal so thanks for the tip. I'm using the 63 style strut rod to keep it simple on me and save on the endless fabrication :mrgreen: . All in all, making progress. Camber kit is complete, going back together. Moving along.

And your 65 is absolutely perfect. Love the sig pic.
I let one slip through my fingers years ago and I'm still kicking myself!

Dan

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Hey big dan that's some nice work,going to be a sweet ride. Do you have any ideas on a color combination

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

pro64 wrote:Hey big dan that's some nice work,going to be a sweet ride. Do you have any ideas on a color combination
The current plan, which hasn't changed in a few years, is a gunmetal grey body, all factory trim, with gloss black steel wheels with chrome spiders/rings. Thanks for checking it out.

And just to keep twenty things going at once, I finished the camber kit this morning, then started reassembly of the front suspension. And then completely had to shift gears, as a buddy of mine is wanting to contribute to the effort by making a gauge panel for me. So, had to get him a better sketch then laid it out on the dash. Keep in mind the dash is rough, i.e. no body work yet. Gauges are on hand already (Autometer ultra-lites), so I can get good measurements at least. He's planning to mill it out of aluminum, so we'll see how it looks.

More to follow -

Dan

Fuel level, oil pressure, water temp and volts are all 2 5/8", speedometer and tachometer are 3 3/8".

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Nice looking dash, I learned building my 64 its always nice to have a plan and doing 20 things at once seems to be a every day chore. ive also learned taking your time sure can be helpful sometimes. Its been 5 yrs welding and hammering on this car and I can honestly say I can see a glimmer of lite in this 64 comet TUNNEL.... Anyway happy 4rth 8) 8)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The good thing about working on 20 things at once is you always have something to do, & with a variable degree of difficulties to choose from depending on how you feel or whatever. & if one thing gets held up because you need a part, or anything you can move on . Or if you get a chance for free or cheap labor on a certain task. :lol:
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Dan,, the dash looks good! I really like the smooth dash, doing something similar on my 65.

I think 20 things at once is pretty much the norm on a build. As Pro said having a plan is good start. Like you my plan has evolved?? Over the years but always had a plan! I have poster paper taped on the wall in my shop I use to write ideas down as I get them. And the never ending to do list :)

Also relate to what John said, sometimes it is a good thing. You can do what your in the mood for. Some days the challenging stuff other days the easy stuff. Other times moving on to something else gives you more time to think about the challenging stuff.

But anyways nice work, looking forward to seeing the milled piece!

Lou