65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, Andy. I'm pushing hard to finish/ drive it before next April; wanting to take it to the spring rod run in pigeon forge just to cruise a bit. That'll be around 8 years from when I brought it home, so not too bad I guess.

Funny part is now, with mockup long over, I'm realizing how many little items need to be addressed because this is final assembly. So, wheel bearings and seals on the way, etc, etc. If all goes well it should be stopping on its own, back on all 4 wheels soon. Can't wait!

Thanks for looking -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:That'll be around 8 years from when I brought it home, so not too bad I guess.
I would guess not :P :roll: One day I need to see this car in person (and the owner) it would be like meeting a celebrity :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:
bigdan wrote:That'll be around 8 years from when I brought it home, so not too bad I guess.
I would guess not :P :roll: One day I need to see this car in person (and the owner) it would be like meeting a celebrity :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
I don't hardly deserve that status but I'll ill take it as a compliment! I'm just a guy that enjoys these little cars. It definitely has its issues, but it'll be a driver first and foremost. If it makes a maiden voyage to PF for the spring grand next year maybe you fellas will let a non-Comet pull a drive by since I'm only 2 hours away . . . . Thanks for looking -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:next year maybe you fellas will let a non-Comet pull a drive by since I'm only 2 hours away
I would say you could probably come hang out for a while. I won't be there next year however, I have to officiate a wedding on Thursday before hand and I am a lot further than 2 hours away :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I'll do my best to get there for sure.

Another milestone - engine parts! Plans are still slightly evolving day by day, but pretty firmly set on a 331, AFR 185 heads, full roller, carb for now. No racing plans, but goals are around 325-350 HP to the wheels, so maybe we'll get there. Stroker components are on the way . . . . .

Dan

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Cool!! Engine stuff will always be my favorite. A buddy rolled 356-RWHP with a pretty mild 347 (9.8:1CR, TW11R190 Heads, RPM intake, 650DP) so your goal should right in there!! :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

bigdan wrote:maybe you fellas will let a non-Comet pull a drive by
Don't just drive by. Come and stay. Comets and Falcons are sisters with different dresses and jewelry, but the DNA is the same. You've done a great job on your car, and I'm sure we can learn a lot from your experience. I'm looking forward to meeting you and checking out your car in person. 8)
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

No doubt!! The All Ford show I went to earlier this year was sponsored by the Mid America Falcon Club. I asked ‘em about their shows & you can’t bring a Comet to the Falcon-specific shows. I was like “Why not, it’s like a Falcon only cooler!” :D :D :D Just kiddin’ Dan!! Mostly!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks for the invite fellas! I know the 65 isn't a Comet, but close LOL.

I'm seriously bent to get this thing done. It won't be a high end ride - manual everything, no radio, no air, bare bones. It'll have defrost at some point, but that might be a little later on. I can't wait! Front suspension is going back together this weekend, and I might even have working brakes soon. All in all, closer every day.

Again, thanks for looking.

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:I'm seriously bent to get this thing done. It won't be a high end ride - manual everything, no radio, no air, bare bones. It'll have defrost at some point, but that might be a little later on. I can't wait!
I love all manual everything, somewhat like my Comet except I will, at some point, have air because my wife wants it. I have vehicles that are pretty cushy, I want one that is anti-technology :roll: one of my main visions I have had for a very long time, every time I see commercials for cars that parallel park for you, I want my car even more basic :P

Keep it up.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks to everyone for the interest. Pretty busy trying to get the brakes finished up, and then move on. So, brakes are 100% minus fill/ bleed, but the kiddo went running off to the lake with his girlfriend so we couldn't start that part. Most of the front end is assembled again, I'll get the shocks and springs on this week and go from there. The little strips on the aprons outside the tower brace are essentially washers made from 1/8" SS since my apron flanges have had such a tough go of it. Hard to see, but I jeweled them and polished them up a little. Oh, and the majority of fasteners are raw, yes, but 316SS as well. Moving along -

Dan

Excuse the color of the rotors - they've been mocked up several times for multiple years.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Those are some good lookin' tubing bends. 8)
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Those are some good lookin' tubing bends. 8)
Jim
Thanks, Jim. I tried to make it a clean as possible, but there could definitely be improvements. In my quest to get it done I never bench bled the master, so I'll have to do that first whichever afternoon this week I have time to get started. Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Oh boy! Now the fun begins. I was able to get the brake master cylinder off, bench bled and back on the car yesterday. Was home today for some personal reasons, but was able to get the brakes bled (only one flare leaked, bent up a new one and good to go) and . . . Without further ado, brakes are complete and operational. Good firm pedal, no leaks anywhere, moving on for now. There may be issues to tweak (proportional valve adjustments, etc) later on, but we're in great shape for now. Since I had the time, I went ahead and painted the last 2 wheels also.

Like eating an elephant, we're just gonna keep plugging along, one bite at a time.

Dan

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looking great Dan
Tom
tomb's 65