65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

Another minor update. Pedal upgrade and master cylinders are installed, just waiting on deciding on a final location for the clutch reservoir. Cut and buff is almost complete, one fender left, then ill finally have that behind me. It gets times consuming; went with 1000 and 2000 on a firm foam block, then 2500 and 3000 on a soft foam block. But, i haven't cut through, have fixed tons of little minor issues and it's looking pretty good to me!

More to follow -

Dan

In progress buffing out a fender.

Kid took this pic and was amazed!
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:and it's looking pretty good to me!
That is the most important thing, but it looks pretty good to me as well.

Glad you have decided to come hang out with us here and share this project, it helps inspire me on mine.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote: Glad you have decided to come hang out with us here and share this project, it helps inspire me on mine.

See Ya,
Mike

I found you guys when I still had my 64 convertible several years back, and thoroughly enjoy being here! I was on TFFN but came back over here when it looked like they were going away - they haven't, and i try to stay updated over there, but I like it here! :D Maybe this car will be ready to do a drive by next comet gathering, since I'm only 2 hours away :wink:

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

bigdan wrote:Maybe this car will be ready to do a drive by next comet gathering, since I'm only 2 hours away :wink:
Shoot! Don't just drive by, come and stay. It might take us a while to "absorb" all you've done. :D That is one heck of a finish you're putting on that bird! 8) Neat way to double your money. :wink:
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looks awesome Dan
Tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

A little progress this weekend. Initial cut/buff work is done. There were alot more sneaky little runs and issues in the clear coat than a fella would realize until you touch every inch of the car! I'll still have to go over with compound a little for a few sanding scratches here and there, but that's minimal, and once it gets polished it should really pop. Playing with the brake/clutch routing now, and of course ran out of brake line, but we're getting there. Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Pretty busy this week routing front brake lines and such. Had to wait on another roll of tubing so that slowed me down a bit, plus long hours at work . . . Regardless, progress is still being made.

My 16 year old picked up a non-Ford little 93 4.3 pickup last week (his first vehicle that's his own) so we're detouring from the 65 for the weekend to do a complete brake system rebuild. He already snagged my Dad to help with a complete tune up during the week, so he's cracking the whip! :D Ford or not, it's American made so I'll let it slide I guess.

That being said, back on the 65 tomorrow I hope. Might even start a little glass and trim to quit the under side work for a while. More to follow -

Dan

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

The brake lines, master cyl. & clutch master, etc. look fantastic Dan! :D So you used 2-lb. residual valves on both front & rear?
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Rocket989 wrote:The brake lines, master cyl. & clutch master, etc. look fantastic Dan! :D So you used 2-lb. residual valves on both front & rear?
Yep, 2# rsv's on both front and rear. Front is the 11" disc Kelsey Hayes setup, rear is an 11" single piston disc after market 9" setup with e-brake calipers. Manual proportional valve will be somewhere easy to access towards the rear end. Should stop fine, but if I decide it needs more than a manual master cylinder I have a plan. ;)

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So the assembly continues. Finished routing brake lines with the exception of the front flex hoses. Plans next involve disassembling the front suspension from "mock up" status, installing grease fittings, touch up paint in the engine compartment, etc. So, still moving along.

I also had the paint shop mix up a few rattle cans in body color for a few remaining items also.

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So I went ahead and exploded the front suspension and engine compartment to sand, paint, and clean up in general. I need to address several items, and since the rear suspension and brakes are completely done now, i can get to it. After a little pondering, I'm thinking about painting the aprons and firewall body color, and leave the core support black. Need to get the surface rust off the rotors, re-pack the bearings, install grease fittings on all the ball joints, replace the upper control arm bolts (I trimmed mine for the earlier 351C attempt, but I'm still going to install them from the engine compartment side for clearance), install calipers, plug a few holes, paint the tower support, add a stitch weld to the sway bar brackets (Johnno), etc, etc, etc. Lots of fun, still miles to go. More to follow -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JMO,,I think body color under the hood ,including the core support is the way to go,,,,good luck looking good !! pop
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

popscomet wrote:JMO,,I think body color under the hood ,including the core support is the way to go,,,,good luck looking good !! pop
I agree, Pop. That's the way I'm heading. Had a lot going on today and then decided to get a little time in shooting the bow before the season, so not much accomplished. I did get my 7 7/16" control arm spacer cut, a few grease fittings installed and a little sanding. More to come . . .

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

PROGRESS! Not really picture worthy, or at least not worth the hassle, but progress nonetheless. I spent the last few weekends working on my 16 year olds truck; had quite a lot to do to make momma happy - tune up, brakes front to back, suspension, etc.

But, that being behind us now, I've been able to get back on the 65. Brakes are now final up to the front calipers. Rear end is complete, full of lube, ready to go. Engine compartment is painted, master cylinders installed, steering column is in, upper control arms installed, etc, etc. Hope to have the front suspension installed this week, then fenders back on and get it back on the ground. Then it's 331 build time ;).

Getting excited now . . . . .

Dan

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Keep up the good work Dan. Everything is coming together. You call your car a long term project and I can tell you I bought my 1965 Comet Cyclone in February of 2000 and I just starting driving it this year. I still have to do paint work yet. This year I'm going to put some miles on it. Sometimes life just gets in the way. Anyway you are making tremendous progress and your paint looks beautiful!!! Andy