65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, Lavron. Still creeping along; ignore the messy shop!

Got the 331 up to a comfortable height for a 6'6" dude, then made sure it couldn't get away LOL. Ran out of time tonight, but first on the agenda for - hopefully - tomorrow will be a quick run out check on the BH, then should be able to assemble the release bearing and start heading towards that final install . . . Soon, I hope.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Continuing along. Finished measuring run out between the BH and the flywheel. Depending on where you start your dial sweep, it can be fairly obvious (or not) what's required to correct a misalignment. Starting the dial at 6 o'clock gave the clearest readings, so now I'm waiting on offset block dowels. Generally they're available in 0.007, 0.014 and 0.021, so pretty cut and dried that 0.014 offset should get me straight and true. Moving along.

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Hydraulic release bearing is next on the list.

American Powertrain is very specific and repetitive about dimensions and the possibility of over extending the bearing itself if you're not careful with your pedal travel, which can apparently cause it to explode, become inoperative, soak everything in brake fluid, void the warranty, and generally wreck your day. I don't think it's that serious, but I want any bugs sorted out before it goes in the car regardless. I'll probably build a quick 6' or 8' AN3 hose to allow testing it beside the car, rather than in it before install. That being said, started playing with it this morning.

Moving along -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

All such purdy stuff :P

Great stuff Dan, keep up the good work.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:All such purdy stuff :P
Thanks, lavron. It is definitely nice being finished with the dirty jobs, but I have to be so dang careful not to ruin something now I almost miss the dirty stuff.

On the "purdy" stuff, I've been doing paying side projects for years to pay for and stockpile parts for this little 65. I drug a '57 C###y out of a field in Georgia several years back, titled it, replaced floors, rockers, toe boards, trunk floor, lower quarters, yada yada yada . . . You get the idea - and banked enough to pay for the TKO, Kirkey buckets, wheels, tires, etc. The guys on the "other" side love those cars. At last count 13? 14? cars have come through here to fund this little 65, mainly floors and rust repair no one wants to do, and it kept the parts coming in, piling up and me out of momma's checkbook. That's a win - win for sure.

More soon -

Thanks for looking -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

know the feeling of side work or working overtime to pay for my doings ,,and never touch the family check book....good luck and your work is over the top....can't wait to see it......POP
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

popscomet wrote:know the feeling of side work or working overtime to pay for my doings ,,and never touch the family check book....good luck and your work is over the top....can't wait to see it......POP
Thanks, POP. I wouldn't consider it "over the top", but I'll take the compliment! I have found myself adding a few features here and there though . . . Heck, I've even decided in the last week to have heat/ defrost in the old girl!

Thanks for looking, fellas. Getting closer every day.

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

A little update. Tying up loose ends this week, an hour here and there. Offset block dowels are installed, largest variation in run out is 0.003" now, so perfect. Pulleys are installed after having to re- thread and shorten a few bolts; front dress is pretty much complete other than a belt. Release bearing is installed, and spent yesterday getting the neutral safety switch wired and routed (weatherpacks with solder, which i hate) then hiding / routing more wiring. Still need to install the heater, determine hose penetrations for the heater, route the positive battery cable from the trunk, and route the rest of the engine compartment wiring outside the apron prior to dropping the engine/ trans in. Also, and hopefully this will eliminate issues later, I picked up a 48" braided AN3 hose to allow setting stroke and pedal travel for the release bearing / clutch pedal. Lots of irons in the fire, but definitely not getting bored. Busy busy, but getting stuff done. More later -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Looking good, a little here and a little there gets the job done.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Wiring, wiring, wiring. Starting from scratch makes it a little easier, of course, but lots and lots still to do. As of today's update from the last few days, most of the wiring is complete except trunk/ taillights, distributor, alternator, and the heater. As far as I know I'm ready to test the tri - bar headlights, all I lack is the nerve right now LOL. I routed all the engine compartment wiring outside the apron and the battery will be in the trunk, but what you see on the apron is essentially all engine compartment wiring, so it's fairly organized and out of the way. Moving along -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SO NEAT...SO NEAT !!!!!
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am going to ask this, just in case I have been misinformed, but can't the starter solenoid move to the trunk as well when you move the battery? Seems like there was a discussion someplace on that :roll:

Anyway looking super good Dan.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

lavron wrote:I am going to ask this, just in case I have been misinformed, but can't the starter solenoid move to the trunk as well when you move the battery? Seems like there was a discussion someplace on that :roll:

Anyway looking super good Dan.

See Ya,
Mike
the reason we keep the SS as close to the starter is to have a short cable from the ss to the starter,,,,that's our reason for not having SS in trunk,,,it'll make the starter cable to long..... :wink:
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Yes, you can, lavron, but like POP said, it'd make for some long cables. Thanks, fellas. That being said, caution aside, I hiked my skirt up and did some testing :mrgreen: nerves and all. So far, everything worked perfectly . . .

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

with those bright lights to light up your path,,,you ought to see that possum crossing the hwy :!: :roll: :shock:
pop/glenda