65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
loman

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by loman »

When I was working on my Galaxie a few years back, I tried the oven cleaner also on a extra bent up piece of trim. I had mixed results, so I didn't do it to the trim I put back on the car. I probably didn't put enough time and effort in it.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Well, all in all it made for a productive weekend - finally! I was able to get the radiator, fan and shroud installed, fan relay circuit wired up, routed radiator hoses, water temp sender, stripped/ painted/ assembled/ wired/ installed the taillights, installed and wired up the horn and steering wheel, finally got the heater hoses installed, tested the heater fan, horn, taillights, etc, built a plug wire . . . . .

I also had to "clearance" for the distributor; the dizzy was closer than I'd like to the intake on the LH side, so I dressed the intake down a little. Not much, just essentially smoothed out the texture, but I can see daylight through the crack now so should be fine.

All in all I'm stoked when I can mark stuff off the list, so we're getting closer every day to making noise.

Maybe this 5 day weekend I have coming up will get med that much closer.

Thanks for looking -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Still moving along, just enjoying the process now. Big goals for this long weekend, and thus far we've been able to strip and paint the grille, finish a few more odds and ends in the engine compartment, started playing with interior items, etc. Hope to finish the fuel hard line in the next day or so, and that should have us really close, other than fabbing an overflow tank for the coolant.

Oh - wiring harness, switches, etc, is COMPLETE. Since I'm using a temp switch for the fan, I added an "emergency run " fan switch just in case the temp switch fails.

It does feel like I'm bouncing around alot now, but it's all progress!

Hard to see, but clutch hose is routed and bled, and all wiring is behind us. Carb is simple - 600 Holley 4160 with vacuum secondaries.

The Kirkey buckets I've had forever. My 16 year old has taken these over as his contribution.

Last bit of stripping and painting anodized parts!

Thanks for looking -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It is all looking good Dan.
bigdan wrote:It does feel like I'm bouncing around alot now, but it's all progress!
Progress is good, I will be glad just to get my ugly torque box repaired, I have yet to dive into it any way I look at it, it is going to be dirty and uncomfortable welding positions, oh well it will make it all the better when it is finished :roll:

You have come a long way on this little bird so I am glad you are enjoying the process currently.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Another item off the list. Figured I'd play in the shop a while then decorate the tree with my boys.

Needed a catch can for the radiator, so . . . In keeping with fabbing what I can, and especially after the last few months off having to buy stuff I can't whip up here, decided to whip one up with my oldest to be a little different. It's all stainless, TIG welded, and - even better - NOT off the shelf somewhere, and pieces I had laying around, so free. I need to make sure it's at the right height before its permanent, then I'll sand it uniform, shoot a little clear on it and then on to the next piece. Total volume is just under a half gallon (0.42 exactly) don that should be plenty I hope.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

everything looks so nice and neat......BUT BUT ,OL POP is waiting to see what your going to do with that can of worms you are using for spark plug wires :!: :wink: :wink: you and those boys have done a super job...hat's off to y'all..pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Looking great!
I need to get to making a catch can. I've been using a plastic pop bottle with a hole in the cap for 4 years (on this bottle :roll: ).
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lookin' great, Dan! 8)
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looking very sharp Dan
Tom
tomb's 65

loman

Post by loman »

Everything looks good! What kind of truck do you have that your seat is setting in?

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, fellas. I appreciate it.

And yes, Pop, I'm trying to figure out plug wiring now. I haven't given it much thought yet, though, since I still have to pull the distributor again to prelube anyway. The distributor actually came with cut - to - fit plug wires, but I didn't use them in the end. 2 of the 8 wires had wild ohm readings even before crimping, so they shipped me this set, but they're fairly long. I'll figure something out though, I hope. If anyone has any input or examples feel free to post pics!

Thanks for looking -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL POP knew that can of worms wasn't going to last long,,, :lol:
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

popscomet wrote:OL POP knew that can of worms wasn't going to last long,,, :lol:
We'll see what we can come up with Pop. Didn't have much to show for today, but good progress nonetheless.

I installed the catch can and plumbed it in then debated on possibly adding a sight glass to it, but that'll have to be later. I'll try to round up some tube fittings, but since the can itself is a piece a schedule 10, there's not much to tap. I may drill it and weld in some 1/4" npt bushings and just plug them until I find tube fittings.

Biggest accomplishment was coil springs. The 65 had been riding on some cut - off mockup springs till now, so pulled them and installed Falcon V8 springs (Moog 8088's) minus 1.25 coils.

Still waiting on hard line and a few fittings to finish up the fuel line, so it might be time to go ahead and get these fenders hung, then head to the interior.

Moving along -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Since I'm still waiting on fuel hard line to finish the engine compartment plumbing, and everyone here was gone, I figured I'd keep knocking out this list. So . . .

Now we have wipers, after trial and error, so that's good. Since the springs are on, engine in, I did a string alignment so we're ready to go there. Finished floor insulation under the back seat so we're ready for carpet. Since everything is wired, I routed the defroster and heater hose and tested them out. Cooling fan is tested also.

So, at this point, after quite a few years, it's a simple matter of throttle cable, fuel line plumbing, fluids - then fire this little 65 up. Can't believe we're this close!

Thanks for looking -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CONGRATS BIGDAN !! know the feeling well..me and son worked 3.5 yrs on GLENDA'S 56 ford,,somewhere in there we took a break from the 56 and redid my comet in 3 mos...the smile on her face made it all worth it,when she drove it the 1st time and received the first of very many awards ,,,thanks for keeping us informed on your (boys) work,,y'all done good POP
pop/glenda