65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
Jims65cyclone

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Can't wait to see your report on its maiden voyage. :D
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks again, fellas.

Looking for a little input. Playing around with fuel lines and I decided to mock everything up with my fuel log facing forward (why route the fuel line across a hot manifold if I don't have to?) too see how it worked out. Looks like it'll work just fine.

My biggest concern, though, is the pump. The inlet elbow ever-so-gently touches the radiator hose. The pump housing can be clocked, but doesn't help, as that would just jam the outlet into the oil filter. I'm not super-concerned since the fittings are smooth and not actually pushing on the hose, but thoughts? Let it ride or come up with something else?

Thanks for looking -

Dan

Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

bigdan wrote:Thanks again, fellas.

Looking for a little input. Playing around with fuel lines and I decided to mock everything up with my fuel log facing forward (why route the fuel line across a hot manifold if I don't have to?) too see how it worked out. Looks like it'll work just fine.

My biggest concern, though, is the pump. The inlet elbow ever-so-gently touches the radiator hose. The pump housing can be clocked, but doesn't help, as that would just jam the outlet into the oil filter. I'm not super-concerned since the fittings are smooth and not actually pushing on the hose, but thoughts? Let it ride or come up with something else?

Thanks for looking -

Dan

Dan,
Have you tried a 45 degree fitting instead of the 90? I just plumbed my fuel pump and remote oil filter and found that using 45’s worked better plus they have less restriction compared to the 90.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

A/FX wrote:Have you tried a 45 degree fitting instead of the 90? I just plumbed my fuel pump and remote oil filter and found that using 45’s worked better plus they have less restriction compared to the 90.
Or pointing it up instead of toward the back? Jim's idea is probably better.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Could you just shorten the rad hose about 1/4'' so it will push on the rad a little further?
Beautiful engine & bay ! :D
Johno

loman

Post by loman »

I like the idea of using the 45 degree fitting. Then if you still need a little space, I would do what Johno suggested by shortening the hose.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I'll try both the fitting and the hose and see if that helps, but that means a few days waiting on a fitting. If that doesn't clear it I may have to go to a barbed aluminum 45 in the radiator hose. Little things now - should be full of oil, water, etc this weekend!

Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So it's been a busy, productive week!

I mainly just tinker after work or after everyone goes to bed, but it's progress. Since Sunday week ago, I finished up the wipers, defroster duct, throttle cable, gas pedal, steering wheel, fuel line and hard line, driveshaft, exhaust, h-pipe, fuel cell vent line, fenders, vacuum lines, engine oil, atf in the trans, etc., etc. Progress!

It occurred to me this afternoon with a battery, coolant and gas we're ready to hit the key. After all this time, I think we'll make it to firing it off before Christmas. Gonna play with the headliner this week then possibly finish up the trim so I can get the interior in.

Closer every day -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Both of my thumbs are pointing up! It is looking really good.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

bigdan wrote:...................

It occurred to me this afternoon with a battery, coolant and gas we're ready to hit the key. After all this time, I think we'll make it to firing it off before Christmas. Gonna play with the headliner this week then possibly finish up the trim so I can get the interior in.

Closer every day -

Dan
Car looks awesome, badass!! But if batt,coolant and gas is all you need why isn't the car running. When I get that close I ain't leaving the shop till I hear noise...lol

Seriously you really have something to be proud of!

Lou

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks fellas. I'm itching to fire it up, but want to make sure and do a good once- over top to bottom, front to back again before I do, just in case :mrgreen: . Plus, making sure I have time to walk my 16 year old through pre-lube, etc., etc. On top of that, I have a bunch of 12+ hour days I'm in the middle of, so I'll probably have to wait for that long 5 day weekend at Christmas. It'll happen sooner than later, though. Thanks again for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Still moving along. My plan is still to fire the engine on 12/22 (start of a long 5 days off) so i'm still trying to grab some time as I can. I've been filling 2 roles at work for the last week or two (both planner and boss) and will until after the holidays, so that cuts into the shop time a little. But, I make time when I can, so started fiddling with the headliner. I'm no interior guy, but I'll take a stab at it LOL. Was lucky all the header bows were still with the car! Still moving along - one clip at a time !

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Spent the weekend trudging along with the headliner. Glued the front windshield portion, then pulled it tight and glued the rear upper glass portion, making progress. That's where it derailed; I realized if I attached the C-pillar headliner I wouldn't be able to bolt on the lower sail panel trim, so i had to divert from the headliner for a little while to whip up brackets for the sail panel trim pieces, which meant I had to attach the driver's drip rail trim, you get the idea :D . Regardless, still moving along, just slower than I'd like.

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Dan I just thought I'd mention,though I dont have experience with these headliners I did notice in my pics that there is a small stiff wire at the back, 2 of them I would think, that hold the back bow to the rear. I suppose it helps take the pressure off the very rear . there may have been some in the front? maybe someone knows?
also this pic still has the rusty coat hook in place but if you want to put the coat hooks back in the tape measure is to help locate those holes after the liner is in place . you can feel the bulge where the hole for the hook is.
but here is the pic of the wire hanging down.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Johnno- Oddly enough, the same wire was still hanging on my roof panel ! There are 2 of them that locate the rear bow; there may be more, but I couldn't locate a spot for them. I ordered replacements from Mac's sand they sent 4 packs of 4 for some reason, so I replaced them with backups on hand . . . . . Thanks for the tip on the coat hook, I may install later on. I'm just ready to get this headliner in the rear view; i'm fine with electricals, mechanicals and the like, but this is too tedious for me! I just keep reminding myself "it'll be a driver, not a show car" and that helps some :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On a completely different note, this is the first winter I've ever had a completely insulated shop to work in (the boys and I finished it up last February/March). We're doing a test this year to see if a blow- through salamander style kerosene heater is enough, and/or cost effective; if not, we'll figure out more permanent heat before next winter. All that to say I spent a ton of time out in the shop this weekend, 30 outside, 70 inside - and loving it. I'm up to about $75 in kerosene since October, but wow it's been nice!!!!!! Some nagging health issues have kept me out of the deer woods this year :evil: but we're adapting I guess. At least we're getting things done!

Thanks for looking -

Dan