65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
loman

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by loman »

Dan, I have only installed one headliner and it was in a 63 galaxie. While it turned out ok, i had one issue. When the windows were down and cruising along at 65mph or so the middle bow would somehow flip down and forward causing the headliner to hang real low. I could gently push up on it and it would pop back in place once I slowed down to 55 or so. With the windows up, I never had a problem. I talked to a local guy who installed headliners and he gave me a tip. He told me to install a couple of screws on each side of the headliner bows on both sides of the car to create a stop so the bows can't pivot. I did that and I also stuffed some insulation up in the trunk toward the sail panel thinking somehow air flow was being funneled up above the headliner and the pressure was causing my issue. The fix did help, but on occasion it would still pop down. In retrospect, I'm guessing I didn't have the liner stretched tight enough.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks for the tips loman. I've got it pretty tight at the front, but I do have a few minor wrinkles I wish I could improve above the quarter glass, but i'm not done yet. That being said, i'll give it my best effort and see what happens. Worst case scenario i'll have to have it redone but a professional later! I do have it pretty tight, so we'll see what happens when it's finished.

Thanks for looking -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So after a ridiculously busy week, I can report the headliner is complete, just not perfect :mrgreen: . But, it's behind us. The only slight wrinkles are in the top rear corners, but the roll cage hides them. Picked up a battery, filled it with coolant, and started burping it here and there. Pulled the distributor and started prelube; i'll pull the valve covers tomorrow and check rocker oil, then check all the fuel fittings . . . . . And maybe hit the key. If time permits. Fingers crossed -

Dan

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I'll be waiting for a report!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

5, 4, 3, 2........ :shock: :D
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that close !! you make time..... 8) :D :D pop
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

Gentlemen, start your engine!!!!!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Gentlemen, without any further excuses, IT'S ALIVE!

Only a few minor issues; the CVR compact starter I used had a lug that needed a signal from the "S" terminal/ neutral safety switch which I didn't hook up initially, but that was a quick fix. Initially I set timing at 10 degrees at idle (no advance), and of course still fighting the choke high idle, it dieseled a bit shutting down. A few tweaks ended up at 12 degrees at idle and 800 rpm, no dieseling, ran beautifully. Might have to get a new temp switch for the fan (running a 185 on / 175 off), it kicked on fine, but never got it below 175 - at least not enough to shut off. It might now that I've got it idled down and timed, so we'll wait and see. While I'd love to have took it around the block, no registration yet, or seat, or windshield. But who am I kidding - if it had a windshield in it, we'd have hit the road! So now i'll look hard for a hardtop windshield close (I really want original 65 glass instead of new if I can) to me, and keep plugging along on trim, exterior and interior. I have no idea how to post a video on the forum, but i'll try to figure it out. On an odd side note, my kid got on the web and did some ciphering and discovered that February 12, 2012 (when I brought it home) till today is exactly 2500 days, which seems about right for a complete tear down, rebuild, etc. or so it seems to me.

Still a long way to go, but we're getting closer.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Congrats!!
Yes a drive down the street if you had a windshield,, w-a-i-t,,, how about a welding helmet with the lenses up ?? :lol: :lol:
Ya had to drive mine cause I had a windshield but the seat wasn't bolted down, grabbed a gear,, almost ended up in the back seat :shock:
Good luck on the windshield.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

In the end, not too many glitches to work out. Engine runs beautifully. My throttle pedal is a little sticky, so that'll have to be resolved. Also, once I pulled it back inside the shop I noticed a fuel leak on a flared fitting underneath, so had to drain the tank ( just a gallon or so) and start figure out how to resolve that. All in all, I'm stoked and ready to get on the road!

Dsn

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Congrats, Dan!! One step closer to driving that girl to PF this summer so we can all slobber all over her. :lol: I think we all feel a pride in what you've accomplished since we all built it with you, in virtual reality, through your posts. I want to meet the car and the man who built her. 8)
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cool, a great inspiration to us that are somewhere behind you :roll: If you figure out the video would love to see it running :)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks for the kind words, fellas.

It's been a long haul for sure, but there's still plenty left to go! I was definitely tickled to hear her light off with no real issues and dial in pretty quick. It'll take another month or so to be completely "road worthy" I would guess, but I have 5 days off at Christmas and 9 days after New Years, so hopefully it's completely finished by then. Other than the little fuel leak and the throttle pedal sticking a little, exterior trim is next. That ought to be fun. I'm sure we'll have other little items to sort out, but its all down hill from here.

As for PF, I'd love to be able to hang out for the weekend, but that probably won't be able to happen with work. But . . . . That doesn't mean a little grey falcon won't come rolling in Saturday morning to say hello since i'm only 2 hours away! Back to work today, itching to get back to finishing the rest. I see late nights polishing side trim in my future . . . . .

I'll try to figure out a video if I can. Been in contact with Melvin's in Atlanta on FB and he offered to meet me on Saturday so I could pick up a windshield, so that helps.

Thanks again for following along -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL,we'll take what we can get,make the 2hr drive on Saturday morning,we all will be waiting to see the falcon and shake your hand,,POP has been making friends for many years ,,just from these old cars,,and I'd like to have another....can't wait to see ya !!
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, Pop. I'll do my dead level best to be there bright and early!

I spent a nice evening laying on my back re-flaring that leaking fuel line, so that should be good now. I'll try to figure out the throttle sticking tomorrow if time permits, then it's windshield and trim. Thanks for following along -

Dan