65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
tomb22

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by tomb22 »

Praying Dan that our Lord touches your body and heels you quickly, so that you can get back to it.
Tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

tomb22 wrote:Praying Dan that our Lord touches your body and heels you quickly, so that you can get back to it.
Tom
Thank you, Tom. I appreciate that.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Well, back at about 75%, but still above ground. My lifelong argument with my pancreas tries to get me from time to time, but hasn't won just quite yet. Enough griping, though, back to the 65!

Finally have alignment close enough for another test drive. Camber is at -0.25 degrees, caster is at +2.25 degrees. The opentracker LCA mod definitely helped, so i'm glad we went that way.

I used 2# residual pressure valves on both front and rear brakes, but that ended up causing some dragging I didn't like. Pulled them off and routed "new temporary" lines to see if that improved. I had several Earl's prefab hoses on hand; stainless braid 4000# units, so that's the temp solution right now until I get new hard lines bent up.

Still need to resolve the temp issue, which is really less of an issue but more of an annoyance. Decided to leave my fan switch alone and leave the electrical side as is; going to try a 160 thermostat and see if the increased flow helps.

All in all, just getting everything dialed in for a nice long road trip in the near future!

More later -

Dan

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Good to hear your up and about Dan.
Tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

glad your up and about ,DAN,...……...pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Feel better Dan! Checking your progress all the time

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Don't let it wup ya, Dan. We want to see that bird in PF in June. :D 8)
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, fellas. It's been a rough week but appears to be behind us for now.

And I definitely still plan to try my best to make it to PF!

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Finally felt well enough to piddle around in the shop a bit.

Finished the alignment, so i'm ready to test that. Finished the residual pressure valve removal also and bled the brakes, so ready to try them out also.

And, step one of my cooling troubleshooting, I installed a 160F thermostat as option one. The engine warmed up to 185 or so before the fan kicked on initially, but that was in the shop, hood open, around 2000-2500 rpm. Fan kicked on, brought it down to 172-ish and shut itself back off - perfect. At idle, in the shop, hood open on a 60 degree day, it stayed right at 176 or so from then on, with minor fluctuations as the thermostat opened and shut. I'm happy right now, but we'll cruise it a while tomorrow to see how it does on the road, if this blasted rain will stop!

Glad to be tinkering a bit again for sure! Thanks for looking -

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Glad to hear you're feeling better Dan. I hear ya bout the rain. we just got another Tstorm /w downpour & hard for over an hour straight. it finally just let up to a regular rain :roll: I think we broke some records for rain this month & year for rainfall. :roll: But hey it 69°!!! :D
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

poboyjo65 wrote:Glad to hear you're feeling better Dan. I hear ya bout the rain. we just got another Tstorm /w downpour & hard for over an hour straight. it finally just let up to a regular rain :roll: I think we broke some records for rain this month & year for rainfall. :roll: But hey it 69°!!! :D
Johnno - My oldest and I decided to upgrade our fishing boat from my 21' G3 to a Ranger this spring, so I picked it up Wednesday. Our joke was I drove the truck to the dealer and pulled it home with the boat. Almost the truth this week!

Dan

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I see you guys are getting a lot of rain while up here in Wisconsin where getting pounded with snow. I'm running out of places to push it. I'm hoping it warms up soon.
tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Closer to DD status fellas. . . . Put another 30-45 minutes work in cruising around yesterday afternoon. Temps and cooling system are operating exactly like I want - around 170-180 cruising around and the fan never even kicked on. Heat/ defrost is perfect. I pulled into our Lowe's lot and eased around to stimulate traffic and at 190 on, pulled smoothly down to 175, fan off. Perfect for me.

Still making final tweaks to the alignment. Toe is 1/16, caster +2.5, camber -0.25 or so. I still have a slight pull to the left, I think the pull is due to a wheel base difference R to L. The car was smacked in the RH front at some point, so the frame rails are ever- so- slightly tweaked to the right. Body dimensions per the factory manual are correct, it's out maybe a 1/16th, but once caster is set the wheelbase differs about 3/16 R to L. I'll sort that out with a shim/ strut rod combo move and we'll drive it again.

Closer every day -

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Dan....try adding +.25 caster to the RH side and see if it helps. If there is a bias between the sides on caster, a car will tend to pull to the more positive side. You may have them dead even, but given its history of damage, you may have to crank in some extra + caster on the right to compensate.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Dan....try adding +.25 caster to the RH side and see if it helps. If there is a bias between the sides on caster, a car will tend to pull to the more positive side. You may have them dead even, but given its history of damage, you may have to crank in some extra + caster on the right to compensate.
Jim
Are you sure Jim? I think that it will pull to the side with less caster or more camber. that's how I wrote it down,,,since it would be so easy to get mixed up.
Johno