65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
Loner

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by Loner »

Better listen to him bigdan...Johno is a signature pic master.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BIGDAN,that sucker is more better everytime you post a pic.....it wouldn't bother OL POP when you get that falcon all done ,if by chance you was to vist PIGION FORGE IN JUNE AND JUST HAPPEN TO STOP BY for a cool drink and several handshakes....with all that being said....I SURE HOPE YOU PUT THOSE WHITE SPOKE WHLS BACK ON YOUR TRAILER :!: :shock: :roll: :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks for the input fellas! Haven't figured out the signature pic yet, but it seems like a perfect idea. I just wish the flag was bigger.

And Pop, yes, the trailer wheels will come off. They drive me crazy too, but I had them laying around, and they're dry rotted anyway . . . Just didn't want to be scrubbing overspray and primer dust off of the final tires and wheels! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Dan

Edit - I figured it out, Johno! Sig pic works.
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I pretty well knew why it had trailer whls on it :!: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

popscomet wrote:I pretty well knew why it had trailer whls on it :!: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I know, pop, I know. :mrgreen: My boys beat me up all afternoon about not putting the "fat wheels" back on it this afternoon for a photo op, but I was playing catch up from fishing in the morning and still had the trunk lid to strip. Weekends are too short! Gotta make hay while the sun's shining!

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Another minor update, but still plugging along. Got out early this morning and stripped the passenger side door prepping for epoxy. Had some minor repairs to make and - as much as I've avoided it - pulled the glass, vent window and handle. I figured I'd put it of as close to paint as possible so I'd remember how to put it back together :mrgreen: . Plan is to shoot both doors and the trunk lid tomorrow, but there's a cruise-in local this evening, so off to check it out. I'll strip the drivers door tonight and be ready for tomorrow - i hope. More to follow-

Dan

Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A plug here ,a plug there, as long as you keep pluggin along ! hood looks good from this angle. sigpic looks good too! you can change it when you get the trailer tires off, but that is a good spot for a photo shoot. we have a cruise in today too but it's too hot, I'm gonna do a drive by on the way to get a milkshake just to make sure no comets or falcons sneak in on me.Our court square is have work done on it so they are having it at the local chevy dealership. I just can't see sitting around a chevy parking lot in this heat. Dan I'm gonna send this heat over your way! :lol: & you don't have to thank me! :lol:
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

poboyjo65 wrote:A plug here ,a plug there, as long as you keep pluggin along ! hood looks good from this angle. sigpic looks good too! you can change it when you get the trailer tires off, but that is a good spot for a photo shoot. we have a cruise in today too but it's too hot, I'm gonna do a drive by on the way to get a milkshake just to make sure no comets or falcons sneak in on me.Our court square is have work done on it so they are having it at the local chevy dealership. I just can't see sitting around a chevy parking lot in this heat. Dan I'm gonna send this heat over your way! :lol: & you don't have to thank me! :lol:
Send it on, Johno! I'm a millwright in a paper mill - hot is what I do! :mrgreen: We went to the cruise in but someone changed the times so it was over when we got there, so oh well. Came home and stripped about 50% of the other door. Thanks for looking -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I cannot picture in my MIND a man sitting around a chevy lot and nothing else to look at,but bowties,,think I'd rather have a ROOT CANAL,,,,, :shock: :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Hey big dan keep up the good work man that's going to look sweet when done.Even if you only work on it for 15 mins you did something towards the final product. Always loved the 64 65 falcon and comets, The best part is for every 10 Camaros you see at a show you see 1 falcon and up here in the north no comets. Anyway hey POP I like the saying This is ford country on a quit nite you can listen to the bowties ROT.... nice car.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Pop and Pro64 -
I agree on the Ch##y thing with one exception; my 53 3100. I'm sure you fellas have noticed it hiding in the background in a few of the pics. It was my Dad's for 25 years and I ended up with it to keep it for my boys, so I allow it to share shop space with my 65. Anything else, yes, can rot!

On to the 65. Up early again stripping and prepping. Was VERY lucky and got both doors and the trunk lid sprayed before this storm hit. I'm still getting some tiger striping, however faint, but that's my fault and its less every time. It'll never show anyway. But, now to break the car back down and get the main body epoxied. Thanks for looking.

Dan

pro64

Post by pro64 »

I am also priming and block sanding the 64. After skim coating entire car and blocking with 80 grit,I applied 2 coats epoxy. Since I went out of my workable window of 72 hrs I went back and scuffing entire car with 220. Next I will apply 3 coats of high build 2 k primer, then I will wet sand entire car up to 600 grit paint has metal flake and pearl.Its been 5 yrs on this no sense rushing now. Anyway peace

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Pro64 -

I'm still a little ways away from blocking, but getting there. Now that all the removable parts are epoxied, i can proceed on the main body. Plan is to keep getting all that top layer of rustoleum off then shoot the entire car. I'll reassemble and start the 2k high build then. I'm lucky the car is pretty close to smooth from my earlier efforts, and I'm lucky there's no rustoleum underneath it! Live and learn, i guess. Even got a quarter stripped after supper, so moving along.

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So I have a day off during the middle of the week, so time to keep going. Pulled the quarter glass out then picked up more epoxy to finish. Lots of stripping to do, but a beautiful sunny day to keep working on it! And, a pic of my "stripping area" :mrgreen: just because I like the pic. These cars look fast sitting still! And yes, the trailer wheels will be gone soon! :mrgreen: Thanks for looking.

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Beautiful day in south east Tennessee . . . And used it to its full extent! Finished round one of epoxy, finally. Thanks for looking.

Dan

Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.