65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

Poboy and Lou -

Its seemed since I started this car its always been 20 things at once! :mrgreen: I changed jobs back in the fall and now have all weekends off for the first time in recent memory, so my oldest son and I set a goal of driving the 65 to the Spring Grand rod run in PF next April. So, paint needs to be complete before fall, which means we're racing to have it ready. I'm not a painter at all but I get enjoyment out of blocking, so ill get it flat as I can and my buddy will shoot it. With this car's beat up past, I'll be happy with a 20 footer LOL. It'll be weird waiting on the dash piece made by someone else, but I've got other stuff to do! I already have a little TIG'd stainless bracket in mind for the sway bar reinforcement also. Thanks for looking guys.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Not much to report, but a little. Front end is reassembled and rough aligned, back on the ground. Fiberglass rear bumper brackets are mocked up, so hopefully we can get that installed tomorrow. And . . . . .

Paint. 3 years ago, give or take, I stripped the car to bare metal then got to work on filler. I got it as close as I could, and then decided to detour and build my big shop. I ignorantly shot rustoleum primer over the filler to "protect" it while I was building, even though it stays inside. :evil: Now that I know better, it's all coming back off. Starting with the fenders, I'm sanding all the rustoleum off, reapplying filler then shooting epoxy primer before bringing it to my buddy to shoot. And, finally, first fender done today. I'm using PPG's ShopLine products FYI. It's not much, but it seems like a big step for me.

More to come.

Dan

Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Not quite sure how long this had been available, but apparently you can special order with Falcon/Comet lengths. Interesting. $$$, but nothing's free!

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/p ... 03/FR1497Q

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

bigdan wrote: . . . . .

Paint. 3 years ago, give or take, I stripped the car to bare metal then got to work on filler. I got it as close as I could, and then decided to detour and build my big shop. I ignorantly shot rustoleum primer over the filler to "protect" it while I was building, even though it stays inside. :evil: Now that I know better, it's all coming back off. Starting with the fenders, I'm sanding all the rustoleum off, reapplying filler then shooting epoxy primer before bringing it to my buddy to shoot. And, finally, first fender done today. I'm using PPG's ShopLine products FYI. It's not much, but it seems like a big step for me...........
Looks good Dan !

Are you going to spray the primer/surfacer before sending to your buddy/painter? The reason I am asking is with the Shopline epoxy there is a 72 hour window to spray over the epoxy without sanding it. After 72 hours the epoxy needs to be sanded and reapplied for the next steps with primer/surfacer. Would save time and money/material to spray the primer/surfacer now while still in the window.

When I get panels in epoxy and primer/surfacer I also feel it is a big step. One of those "feel good" moments!

Going to be a Nice ride!

Lou

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Lou's Comet wrote:
bigdan wrote: . . . . .

Paint. 3 years ago, give or take, I stripped the car to bare metal then got to work on filler. I got it as close as I could, and then decided to detour and build my big shop. I ignorantly shot rustoleum primer over the filler to "protect" it while I was building, even though it stays inside. :evil: Now that I know better, it's all coming back off. Starting with the fenders, I'm sanding all the rustoleum off, reapplying filler then shooting epoxy primer before bringing it to my buddy to shoot. And, finally, first fender done today. I'm using PPG's ShopLine products FYI. It's not much, but it seems like a big step for me...........
Looks good Dan !

Are you going to spray the primer/surfacer before sending to your buddy/painter? The reason I am asking is with the Shopline epoxy there is a 72 hour window to spray over the epoxy without sanding it. After 72 hours the epoxy needs to be sanded and reapplied for the next steps with primer/surfacer. Would save time and money/material to spray the primer/surfacer now while still in the window.

When I get panels in epoxy and primer/surfacer I also feel it is a big step. One of those "feel good" moments!

Going to be a Nice ride!

Lou
Lou - My plan was to start getting everything in epoxy as I corrected my little uh-oh. In the fenders, which have minor filler work, I sanded down until I was sure the R#$toleum was gone, leaving a little filler to save time later. Now they're safe to handle while fitting my bumper (fiberglass) so i won't worry about hand prints and the like. I'm using Rage Gold, which is pretty easy to tell when you're through my initial screw up without completely starting over ( just 95% :evil: ).

Here's my plan, since my buddy is as busy as I am. Once the bumper is fitted, I'll get the doors handled, then the main body of the car. When everything is in epoxy, I'll scuff it all, epoxy again and shoot the whole thing in high build, then finish up my blocking. After I'm done, I'll probably disassemble and shoot the jambs, hood and trunk lips, cowl under the hood, etc in color, reassemble and let him have it. That's the plan anyway. Thanks for looking!

Edit - Continued on this morning. Have to run out to my deer lease this afternoon, but had to make some progress! DA'd the drivers fender bare, then wax/grease remover, ready. The fender i sprayed yesterday had a few runs (operator error) so I knocked them down quick, scuffed, more of my favorite wax/grease remover and shot them both. Better today; no runs, just orange peel. :mrgreen:. Still, learning slowly, and, of course, progress.

Dan

Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Looks like your moving right along! Don't worry too much about the uh-ohs even those of us that have been doing it for years get them. Just learn from it and move on.
Going to be cool!

Matt

comethead

Post by comethead »

bigdan wrote:Not quite sure how long this had been available, but apparently you can special order with Falcon/Comet lengths. Interesting. $$$, but nothing's free!

Looking good Dan!!!
Good info on that steering gear. Damn the prices have gone up!!
I've heard good and bad on those boxes. I believe they're made in Brazil and metal quality and QA aren't that good. Plenty of them out there though.
For that price hunting down a decent original Falcon PS box may be worth it. From the Stanger website he says the PS boxes tend to wear better over time than the MS boxes because of the power assist taking the load off the gears whereas a manual box transfers the torque through the box to the linkage. Makes sense.
Anyhow...

Looking forward to your progress!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

comethead wrote:
bigdan wrote:Not quite sure how long this had been available, but apparently you can special order with Falcon/Comet lengths. Interesting. $$$, but nothing's free!

Looking good Dan!!!
Good info on that steering gear. Damn the prices have gone up!!
I've heard good and bad on those boxes. I believe they're made in Brazil and metal quality and QA aren't that good. Plenty of them out there though.
For that price hunting down a decent original Falcon PS box may be worth it. From the Stanger website he says the PS boxes tend to wear better over time than the MS boxes because of the power assist taking the load off the gears whereas a manual box transfers the torque through the box to the linkage. Makes sense.
Anyhow...

Looking forward to your progress!

Joe
Thanks, Joe. I stumbled onto the flaming river box searching for a rebuild kit for mine (manual, 1" sector shaft) which I fully plan on using right now. Not sure I'll need a rebuild yet though; I might just be lucky enough for a good clean/inspect/reassemble. It's pretty tight, so i might be ok - as if i don't have enough going on! I'm going to keep racing towards getting this car in color before it gets cold then ill worry about the steering box again i guess. A LOT to do to be burning rubber by April . . . .

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Had big plans today, but the weather thought otherwise. I was able to get the fenders fitted up, and then started playing with the front bumper a bit. Wanted to get the hood epoxied early, but didn't get any clear weather till late, so at least it's done now so hopefully I can finish fitting everything up front tomorrow. Also started fitting the rear bumper, which is also fiberglass. I do have to add some glass to the bumpers a bit to close up some gaps; maybe tomorrow. Might go fishing . . .

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

STICK A FORK IN THAT FALCON..and take those kids fishin....that falcon will still be there after you clean the fish......... :shock: :lol: :wink: pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I thought I heard you say something about a fiberglass bumper but I thought you meant you molded it from you other one. They both look good! it's taking shape!!!
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Pop - The only reason I wouldn't go is weather. They'll wet a line if at all possible! Both my 15 and my 8 year old love to go and we have a blast, especially since the youngest usually "wins."

Johno - I initially was just going to run the rear bumper fiberglass and keep my own up front. I like the way mine came out, but it still needs a ton of tweaking before I was ready to call it done. Then my oldest and I decided to set a target of driving this project to Pigeon Forge next spring for the Grand Rod Run for his 16th birthday, which meant I'd have to streamline things a bit. I like the fiberglass pieces (made by Munssey Speed), and they're a lot closer to complete! Ill have to tweak them a bit but just minor issues. Getting closer every day!

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So front end mockup is complete, moving on to the rest of the car. One bite at a time . . . .

Dan

Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Looking good! Really like the hood and bumper.

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

bigdan wrote:So front end mockup is complete, moving on to the rest of the car. One bite at a time . . . .

Dan

That would make a good sig pic ! with that flag :wink: :)
Johno