65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
Jims65cyclone

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You're absolutely right, Johno! I reread what I wrote, and I stated it basackwards. :oops: Too many laps around the sun since I did this on a regular basis at a tire/alignment store when I was in college. I recall that I used to use the rationale that the side with the more negative caster was putting the tire contact on that side of the car slightly ahead of the more positive side, causing the car to want to "rotate" around the more forward contact point. Whether there's any truth in that theory I don't know, but it helped me make sense of it back then. Actually, I think it has to do with the fact that the more negative the caster, the more unstable the steering, so it pulls to the more unstable side that's wanting to wander. So, Dan, try adding +.25 to the LEFT side and see if it helps. Also, you said your camber was -.25 "or so". If the "or so" is slightly more positive on the LH side, that can contribute to the pull to the left, too. Sorry for the bum tip earlier. And thanks, Johno, for giving my little gray cells a shot of PB Blaster. I guess those laps around the sun must cause corrosion. :roll:

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Jim/Johnno - I've always been told a car will pull to the side with less caster, but I've never put it to the test. Finished squaring everything with the wheelbase tonight and ended up at +2.5 each side, camber R0, L-.25. Toe I still set at 1/16. Took it on its first evening drive and it was much, much better - tiniest pull left, but almost nothing. I may still tweak a little here and there, but it's mileage times now!

After I adjust the headlights, that is :mrgreen:

Thanks for looking -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Dan I'd drive it on a newer highway or interstate before I changed it, it may be perfect for major hwy's which seem to have more crown to drain the rain. & that is where it seems to get monotonous, & tiring on a long ride.

Jim I have to look at the notes every movement when adjusting or even thinking about it. :roll: so easy to get mixed up because of similar words.

The older I get the less I trust my memory. learned that from experience :lol: experience is what you get right after you need it. :lol:
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Johnno - i'm not going to do anything hasty, that's for sure. Like my oldest said - it's gonna pull one way or the other! LOL In all seriousness, I drove it pretty hard. No movement on big bumps, nice and smooth steering, nothing unpredictable. Hopefully I can get the oil changed engine/ rear this weekend, and then i'll take a 50 mile cruise or so on these beautiful country roads around here and see how she does. I just like to get everything shaken out before a long ride!

Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Time for a little update. Work has been ridiculous - tons of hours - getting ready for our annual outage. That kills Falcon time . . . .

But, I've stolen a little time here and there. Still adjusting on the electric choke settings, and it's almost dialed in where I want it. Alignment specs are pretty much perfect, and it still isn't as tight as I'd like for 80mph cruises - but we're up to about 200 miles on the old girl so we're enjoying it and tweaking it in at the same time.

Our local cruise in started yesterday, and went well. The little Falcon was a hit, except to the Ch#$y guys, who seemed pretty jealous of the hateful rumble this little car puts down. I even met the fella that snatched up a 65 comet (he claims cyclone, but that's up for debate) that was hiding a mile from me for next to nothing after I tried multiple times to get it. The coolest part of the cruise in this year is it's being held in the lot where my 16 year old works, so he was able to work and hang out a bit.

All in all, still just trying to get it complete as I can, hoping to be able to run up to PF in June.

Thanks for looking-

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Up to about 250 miles on the 65 now here and there. I did an initial oil change at about 50 miles when I had "the leak," so I'm about ready for another then I'll run till 2500 miles or so. I've not really ran it too hard yet trying to baby the rear end durint break in, but my plan has always been to change the oil in the rear gear right around 250 miles or so and call it good, so we're almost there. No odd noises or anything like that to report, but it's warm after a 25 mile cruise or so (you can still lay your hand on it though). Huge outage at work coming up, so it'll be parked the next two weeks anyway. Closer to "daily" status every day!

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Well, the saga that is the 65 continues. Still getting everything dialed in and dealing with hiccups along the way.

First oil change since the intake leak/ top end pull apart, and was pleased with how clean everything was. Changed the rear end gear oil also to keep the truetrac happy; no issues there either. Especially glad I have a 57 housing with a drain plug . . . :mrgreen:

Took my Dad on his first ridealong this weekend - he's been working doing disaster relief with a charity since he retired so he's gone a bit, but since he caused this "obsession" it was nice to cruise with him a while. Even at 43 I still didn't really want to open it up with him on board though! :mrgreen: Well, maybe a little. ;)

Only real issue I've had is the built in rev limit for the MSD dizzy; the Pro-Billets use a wire routed to the dash that is grounded out at half of your desired rpm limit to set. I've had it at 4500 since I got it running, so yesterday decided to go ahead and bump it to 5500. I had wired it to a switch on the dash, and figured that was smarter than a wire hidden somewhere - that was, until I hit the switch at idle and set my rpm limit at 1600 like a bone head. Took a little tweaking to get it right again but was pretty aggravated for a minute or two.

Had a little leak on the TKO also; I had Tremec install the short input shaft when I bought it to work with a stock (toploader) depth BH. Of course, one of the case joints was seeping ever so slowly, but that's fixed also now.

Pretty happy with alignment, but headed to my buddies shop with an alignment machine to get it dialed in 100% before we start getting serious miles on the old girl. I'm fairly sure it's right, but I used wheel dollies instead of turning plates, so we can fine tune it there. Then it's time for a good 100 mile drive to see how she does. . .

All in all, still having a blast with it and trying to wrap up some interior bits, but that might have to wait till winter . . . .

More later.

Thanks for looking-

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cool to hear dan.

IMO it is not a bad idea to get it aligned fully, I am not even going to attempt doing that myself and will take it in town and just have them do all 4 wheels.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Dan good to hear the kinks are gettin worked out & break in is winding down. waiting on WOT day :lol: :lol: :D :P :P :P
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Glad to hear the car is working out for you and your happy with it. Can't wait to get mine on the road; thought it was going to be this week, but I'm staring out the window at snow coming down. We might get 2' :(
tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Lavron - I have a pretty good alignment level (fast traxx?) but I definitely want it checked at least, especially since I can't rotate the tires.

Johnno - as for WOT, it's seen almost 5k in a quick blip at the edge of town through 3rd gear- I let out at 85 cause the kiddo was getting nervous :mrgreen: . It absolutely comes alive around 3k or so and will set you back - but not too much till that 500 miles break in is done on the rear.

Tom, sorry buddy. I couldn't imagine snow right now. I took the boat to ther river this morning in a t- shirt! It'll warm up soon enough for you.

Thanks for looking, fellas.

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

bigdan wrote:I have a pretty good alignment level (fast traxx?) but I definitely want it checked at least, especially since I can't rotate the tires.
Dan...it will be interesting to see how close your do-it-at-home alignment tool compares to the pro. :?
tomb22 wrote:I'm staring out the window at snow coming down. We might get 2' :( tom

Tom...that's why I live in SC. :lol:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Tom we got about 2'' of pollen here in west Tn.. I left the comet out about 4-5 hours yesterday & it is light green now, looks like a dern mopar color :roll: :roll:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you fire one up and break the cam in and then you drive it like you stole it....this break in time is crap to cover the maker of the parts,,,,it's got enuff miles on it already to get out there and rattle the rods,,if not then you ain't sure of how you put it together,,,,JMO….drive it and enjoy...…..pop
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

popscomet wrote:you fire one up and break the cam in and then you drive it like you stole it....this break in time is crap to cover the maker of the parts,,,,it's got enuff miles on it already to get out there and rattle the rods,,if not then you ain't sure of how you put it together,,,,JMO….drive it and enjoy...…..pop
I hear you, Pop. No cam break in with a roller, so my plan was to ease around a while until the first oil change on engine and rear. I just like giving everything a chance to settle in. Today, long ride to my buddies shop, check alignment- tomorrow, it's time to have some serious fun.

Dan