65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

Thanks fellas. I am ready to get it on the road but there's a long road ahead! Should be able to make progress on final color sanding this weekend while waiting on more parts to show up. Weatherstrip is all here, locker and ring/ pinion are on the way then another order or 10 it seems. Fun to be working with clean stuff now though!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Fun to be working with clean stuff now though!

Definitely better grunting it out on clean(er) stuff man!! My wife will quickly point out that i basically have no “safe” clothes...just varying degrees of “ruined”. Meh, better now than when I started!! :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

loman

Post by loman »

Rocket989 wrote:Fun to be working with clean stuff now though!

Definitely better grunting it out on clean(er) stuff man!! My wife will quickly point out that i basically have no “safe” clothes...just varying degrees of “ruined”. Meh, better now than when I started!! :D :lol: :lol:
But those "ruined" clothes tell stories. The grease stain on your shoulder reminds you of when you bash your head underneath the car and try to roll out from under there and your shoulder gets a hunk of grease from a ball joint or tie rod. Or those burn holes from welding underneath the car and all those hot marbles landing on you and scalding your skin. Then there are rips in those shirts that appear and you look at them and wonder how the heck they got there. :lol:

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

It is definitely nice to be finished welding. I usually only get weld scars from work but this little car has provided plenty!

Parts have started rolling in, so started assembling the 3rd member. Halfway through I discovered my ring gear bolts are too short for the detroit trutrac flange, so hurry up and wait again. Oh well - that gives me time to swap to a spacer/ shim setup on the pinion instead of the crush sleeve.

And I got to work on the cut/ buff on the hood, which is already looking amazing.

At least now I have plenty to do!

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

The best part right now is that there's never a lack of stuff to do! Since I'm waiting on a few rear end parts anyway, I got a good cleanup done in the shop, then stripped the axle. It being a '57 model, there was probably 10 layers of paint on it, including mine from the 4 link upgrade. I knew I had a small seep in the weld dead center of the pumpkin, so I welded that up, ran a tap/die through all the threads and just gave it a good once over. I'll shoot some paint on it later this week.

Also pulled and stashed the fenders, cleaned and polished the roof rail stainless and took the trailer tires off for hopefully the last time, Pop! Moving along -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you sure are moving right along....now you can put the trailer tires back on the trailer :!: :lol: you have done GOOD (and the boys)…..sure hope to see it some day.... 8) :) :D ...pop
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Slowly picking up a little steam here . . . 9 inch is rebuilt, Detroit trutrac with 3.50 gears, Currie axles, etc, etc. Minus a vent its ready to go back in. Moving along . . .

Thanks for looking -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

That looks almost too pretty to put under there :P You do nice work Dan.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks! Parts are still rolling in, but it gives me a few more pics to post. Wheel trim is here, so working on gloss black so I can install them for good. I originally planned for chrome spiders, but changed my mind over time. This should explain the final idea - clean and simple.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Very nice Dan. I like it.
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Wheels will look good ,,I can feel it. :lol: :lol: rear looks great ,nice clean job bending those lines. :wink:
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks again fellas. I'm just trying to make sure when I reinstall something, it doesn't have to come back off! Since the rear wheels are a pain to install, I fooled with them today. Should've had them powder coated, but oh well. So, extremely tedious masking and shooting instead. But, now I'm almost ready to reinstall the axle FOR THE LAST TIME! I hope . . . .

I do think it'll look . . . . Sinister. Loving it!

More soon -

Thanks for looking.

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POWDER COATING those whls ain't (to me) what it's cracked up to be,,I had the crome whls on my bronco coated yrs ago,,looked super for awhile ,then all of a sudden they started to appear dull,as they do today,,,and also I had the rear bumper on my 76 f100..it too turned dull,,,,maybe in their defense,I didn't keep them clean e'nuff,,that wouldn't be the case with you,,looking good ,BIGDAN...……………...POP
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

More progress. Reinstalled the rear suspension; coil overs, sway bar, 4 link, etc. Somehow in the 4 or so years since I fabbed the 4 link stuff I forgot a few locations, so I'll have to reroute the brake lines. Other than that, all went well. I'll finish the brake next then start the fuel cell.

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Aw sweet Danno! :D I think the black is a good contrast to the grey. but maybe after you get it all together we can find someone to photoshop the wheels grey just to see how it would look but black is going to be hard to beat! :D :D
Johno