65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
lavron
Site Admin

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by lavron »

I do kinda like the bumper you built but I would have to see both painted, I would probably feel safer with a heavy bumper in case something "bumped" into me.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I like the one you built better. To me, it looks like it's made for the car because it follows the lines of the grill. The fiberglass one has that drop in the middle that leaves a gap below the center of the grill, like something's missing or it's made for a different car. If the grill had even a hint of drop in the center that followed the line of the bumper, even if it didn't close the whole gap, it would look more like the two were meant to go together. Sorry if that's the wrong answer, but it's my $0.02 worth, and you asked for it. :roll: Either way, it's going to be a great looking Falcon. 8)
Jim

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

I like the one you built. Do you have a straight on front shot?
Great looking Falcon!
NP Dave

comethead

Post by comethead »

I like the 'glass apron better. Looks track ready
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks for the input thus far guys! I think I'm leaning towards my "design" now after seeing it all one color, it seems like it flows together a lot better. The Shelby - style creates a surprisingly large "shelf" out front that I'm not sure about. Either one will be painted body color, a dark grey metallic, so I'm thinking I've finally got a good look at it. Above all, I like things to be different and love fabricated items on these old cars, so ill probably stay with mine, but paint booth when the time comes LOL. Any other input is fine - lemme hear it!

Anyway, I plan to get her all back apart this weekend and start the final filler/ sanding work, so, moving along. Thanks again -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So another step further along. No where near close to done, but shot a sealer coat of epoxy this morning on the body and doors (scuffed with a red scotchbrite pad), then 2 coats of high build. It's not perfect, but moving along!

Still have fenders, hood, etc to do a little more filler work on . . . .
Dan

Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LOOKING good love those white wheels.......many yrs ago,in the 60's when I was a teen,,,nobody hardly had MAG WHLS on their car,,they cost to much for us so everyone painted their whls black and left the hub caps off....NOT POP mine were painted an off white without caps....mainly to just be different...you and those boys are doing great work !! :D :D
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looks awesome Dan. Back in the day we would put fake whitewalls on and and some baby moon hubcaps. Every once in a while I think of those days and how cool we thought the car looked.
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

tomb22 wrote:Looks awesome Dan. Back in the day we would put fake whitewalls on and and some baby moon hubcaps. Every once in a while I think of those days and how cool we thought the car looked.
FORGOT about those fake white walls...weren't they called PORT-A-WALLS or something like that? :? :wink:
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Yeah, they were called Port-O-Walls. A lot of times after a year or so of curb scraping, heat and UV rays, they would get wavy shaped and not seat against the tire properly. The wind would get behind them and they'd start slapping the tire sidewalls. Sounded like a bicycle with baseball cards in the spokes. :lol: :lol:
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Just glad to be moving ahead, fellas.

Pop, tomb, thanks for the comments on the steelies also. I think they're a little more subtle than mags! :mrgreen: Of course, I still have to get trim rings and spider caps, and paint them. . . . .

Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So . . . . . After making done blistering progress on the 65 so far this summer (At least in my opinion! :mrgreen: ) it looks like I may have to revise my goal of driving it in the spring. The paper mill I work at (in TN) is owned by a Canadian company that has decided to close half the mill and lay off a bunch, so that's a bummer. Worst part is they claimed "market conditions" as the reason, then announced the startup of a mill in Canada due to extra orders exactly 1 day after our shutdown date. Coincidence? Probably not. Hard to plunk down serious $$$ building my motor with no job! Momma might not approve either . . . Regardless, I'm still going to keep blazing along as fast as I can on body work and still try to be in color this fall, so we'll see what pans out.

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

That is a bummer Dan, I worked at a newspaper for 22 years and business just keeps tanking (for newspapers) so a few years ago they told me not to come back from vacation :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That's a crock man!! Sorry to hear about that!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

Best of luck getting a new gig Dan! That old Falcon can wait for the money flow to resume.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed