Pop's Cobra build.

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
popscomet

Re: Pop's Cobra build.

Post by popscomet »

AND THAT HAT IS NOT FOR SALE !!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65 wrote:I'd bet Pop was giving Mike one of these looks, :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

Looks like a (good) poker player to me :lol:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

just took my alumn heads to the head shop to have them checked out,,motor has been built for over 19yrs just sitting,,had a couple of valves with some tenshion on them,,wanted to make sure all springs were the same,,no rust on a seat,,they are new never used,,,I just want to cover myself on all base's,,don't want no surprises.....had thought about a stout 347,,but last night after the tear down,,everything looks still brand new ,,bore job pistons etc.decided to stay with first plan....65 289 ,2x4's same cam as in OL RED,,pretty much same engine,,just with alumn heads,,,different style of headers....ought to move that plastic body pretty easy along with a 3.55 ls rear gear and a 5spd tremec…..if not...can always go to plan B...pop
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Like button hit.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you know,,when you get right down to it,,,OL POP will be 71 yrso by the time this cobra is on the road,,, :lol: :roll: am thankful for my younger genes that I've retained thru out the yrs.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: pop has a hell've DNA from my hot roddin dad...and it's been passed onto my son,DWAYNE,,aka frdpwr...pop can't wait to rattle the rods in this 289 cobra..I wasn't scared in my younger days when affording to get out a tight spot was harder,,,now all these yrs later when I can afford it much better,,OL POP still don't give a big rats butt :shock: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:just took my alumn heads to the head shop to have them checked out,,motor has been built for over 19yrs just sitting,,had a couple of valves with some tenshion on them,,wanted to make sure all springs were the same,,no rust on a seat,,they are new never used,,,I just want to cover myself on all base's,,don't want no surprises.....had thought about a stout 347,,but last night after the tear down,,everything looks still brand new ,,bore job pistons etc.decided to stay with first plan....65 289 ,2x4's same cam as in OL RED,,pretty much same engine,,just with alumn heads,,,different style of headers....ought to move that plastic body pretty easy along with a 3.55 ls rear gear and a 5spd tremec…..if not...can always go to plan B...pop
as late as it is tonight right now,,pop just got word,,,my heads are ready....must not been anything wrong with them...POP likes to deal with stand up people..... :D
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Lookin good Pop!!!

Double thumbs up! 8)
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

Took the 289 apart to inspect everything. New rings and gaskets ordered. Hope to have it running on the break in stand real soon.
289 apart.jpg
289 apart.jpg (193.34 KiB) Viewed 4948 times

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Pop love that motor! Cobra too of course but the 289 short block on the stand in blue reminds so much of my circle track days and working on mine.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THANKS ALL !! blue or black are the only 2 colors for a 289...altho a 65 should be blue,,might paint this one black,,,I'll pass the idea past son and get his take on it,, sitting down in engine bay surrounded by a burgundy frame and alumn panels,don't know if blue is what I want....shiney black might be just the ticket,against the intake ,heads ,valve covers and those headers and those 2 chrome air cleaners.....but blue will also look good.....my comet 289 is black and when all was brand new it looked real good.....thanks again,time to go pick up my heads...later pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

just got back from the head shop with my heads,,,,,they are perfect,nothing was wrong with them,checked them from stem to stern,,springs checked out good ,,,,so when rings and gaskets and other stuff come in,,we'll start on the rebuild....pop is pumped up,,after all these yrs,,my stars are getting in a single line..... 8) :D gotta go start some heat in shop,DWAYNE will be here in a couple of hrs and so will CHASE,,THAT GRT GRD SON,,,thanks,,later !!
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

That's gonna be 1 fun ride when all done. You will just have to remember to not forget to drive the red one around every now and then.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:blue or black are the only 2 colors for a 289...altho a 65 should be blue,,might paint this one black
Can we vote? (not that it would make any difference) but if it did, I would vote for black :P

Looks nice and shiny for something that has just been lying around.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

lavron wrote:
popscomet wrote:blue or black are the only 2 colors for a 289...altho a 65 should be blue,,might paint this one black
Can we vote? (not that it would make any difference) but if it did, I would vote for black :P

Looks nice and shiny for something that has just been lying around.

See Ya,
Mike
thinking about painting it black,,set heads intake etc on it and compare,,,,so far in this pea size mind of mine,,,black is the winner...OH !! we found the new alumn oil pan tonight,,had stored away and forgot where I stored it,and the timing chain cover that I had powdered coated yrs ago also,,,,and few other things that really ain't worth mentioning,,,,
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I don't know why but the Gulf GT40 colors came to mind. But, with that powder blue you'd never get the Mrs. outta the drivers seat.
Ford_GT40_Gulf_livery.jpg
Ford_GT40_Gulf_livery.jpg (205.41 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.