Cooling fan blade

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance

Cooling fan blade

Postby jtgb428 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:18 am

I installed a new electric radiator cooling fan in front of the radiator on the grille side..I have an aluminum radiator that is new also..a friend of mine helped me with the installation..I went in the house to get a couple of sodas and when I came out I noticed he removed the steel fan blade that cools the radiator from the other side..I questioned him about this and he said it's not needed with this new setup..he is a big-time ford motorhead that is super knowledgeable..I still have my doubts about this..your feedback would be appreciated... Thanks, Jim...
jtgb428

Re: Cooling fan blade

Postby vicegrip » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:11 am

Was it overheating before the new radiator and fan? In my opinion,pusher fans like you installed should only be used in extreme cases where there are clearance issues.They restrict the natural flow of air through the front and cooling is maintained by fan action only.Is this a race only thing or a street cruiser? If mostly the latter,I would stick with an engine driven fan if you have the room. A decent engine driven fan and shroud will out cool any electric setup which needs to include the battery and alternator amperage to handle it.In your case,leaving the steel fan blade on can only help cooling and the power robbing factor will be minimal.
vicegrip

Return to Small Block V-8 Performance