small diameter distributor??

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
rjones35

small diameter distributor??

Post by rjones35 »

Finally got the 63 about ready to fire up! Then the distributor I bought a long time ago, before I decided to go 3x2, doesn't fit at all. I'm not sure if anything will with the manifold setup Ive got. Wondering what the smallest diameter distributor is? Seems like its the Unilite, but the Pertronix is right there too. Anybody have experience with these, or anything else? Looked into Chinese made small HEI distributor. They seem pretty small, but not sure about reliability.

poboyjo65

Re: small diameter distributor??

Post by poboyjo65 »

It may just be the pic but even a little stock distributor might not fit that,the way the carb hangs out. what if you made some thick spacers for under the carbs & cut the hood? probably cheaper than a new dist, if you still got that machinist buddy. :lol:
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I know. That carb really hangs out there! I thought about spacers too but was trying to avoid that. I like the stock hood, but you're right, might be the cheaper, easier way to go. The distributor in the picture is a regular size HEI, and its huge, so pretty much anything will fit better. The intake carb adapter can be redone too, but then I get into redoing throttle linkage, the kick ass air cleaner would need a new base too, maybe the fuel rail.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Probably doesn't matter what dist you try to install it's not going to fit. Obviously that intake and the location of the carb is the problem and has to go. That or get a C---y so the dist can be put in the back where you can't see much of it.
Ron

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Out of curiosity does anyone have dimensions on an early stock points distributor? Height from intake and diameter??

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Seven inches tall,block to top of wires,cap is 3 3/4" diameter at top [by wires].This is off of a single point,vacuum advance stock FORD distributor! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks Roy! That helps!!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Mallory [now owned by MSD] still sells a 'FLAT CAP' for thier distributors,maybe you could index it to keep the wires away from the front carb!! ROY.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I wonder how big that flat cap is....that might be the ticket.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Everything is the same,but the cap only stand 11/2" or so off the main body and the wires come out horizontally! ROY.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Ive got a unilite on the way. I figure, start with a small distributor and then make everything else fit.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Roy nailed about the only option that might fit w/o lifting the carbs. You could try a Duraspark setup with earlier small cap, but man...looks TIGHT!!

Ron - I'd toss $500+ at an offset dizzy setup WAY before defiling a '63 Comet with a SBC!!! Plus adapting an EFI intake to 3x2 is cool! Suck to toss all that work.
Last edited by Rocket989 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll work out, "simply"!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea everyone wants to see this thing work I'm sure! it's just cool as hell. I have seen the one Roy is talking about, they look melted ,like a steam roller stopped on top of it. do you have any room at all to go up with spacers? one other thing I thought of is carb spacers that angle back , so the holes/runners go backward more-so than upward.
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I think the unilite will be close. "Hopefully!" its close enough to just let me slide the carbs back a hair just taking up any slop in bolt holes. Ive tried measuring and eyeballing but I can't tell how close it'll actually be.