Carb Studs on a small block

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Groover

Carb Studs on a small block

Post by Groover »

Does anybody know the exact thread size and length of the stock carb studs in my small block 260? Pretty sure they are 5/16 coarse thread on the manifold side and fine thread on the carb side. Is that correct? How long are they?

I want to put on longer studs but I want to have the new ones in hand when I do this rather than take one out and run to the store, etc.

Also tips on how to remove them without breaking them would be appreciated. Haven't done it yet, but this project just has that feeling.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Carb Studs on a small block

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

You nailed ir,5'16th course bottom,5/16th fine top!! Use a lot of thread penetrating oil at the stud base,I use two nuts locked together to remove-install studs! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

In my younger days before my hands got a dose of that ARTHUR RITES crap,I'd squeeze a pair of vise grips middle ways of the stud and work back and forth and remove them,now days I use ROY's method,,,,,you don't really have to use carb studs,ON my 390 in my 1966 f100,I use a allen head bolt that is long e'nuff to go thru the spacer and the carb,with a small washer as not to mar the hole on the carb....good luck POP
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

Ditto on what Roy and Pop said. Put some pentetraing oil on them and let them soak just a bit, then double nut the stud and hopefully they will turn right out.
Last edited by loman on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Ditto on what Roy,Pop, and Loman said. Double nut it. Works great. Also Pop's allen head bolts are a neat idea l if you're not going for an oe look, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

PUGS,years ago ,I put together a 289 useing all allen head bolts,the Railroad has any size I needed,and they were free !! fresh paint fresh bolts it was pretty.............pop
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

POP;I KNOW you asked permission to take those bolts!!! I did a 289 that way years ago,NEVER again,what a pain!!!!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:POP;I KNOW you asked permission to take those bolts!!! I did a 289 that way years ago,NEVER again,what a pain!!!!!! ROY.
POP was in such good standings at the railroad ,if they were out of something and I wanted or needed it ,they would order it in for me.(that stemed from being a good worker and always being there on the job,EVERYDAY !!)...........and as I said..I put together ONE 289 with allen head bolts,,it was a pain after it was installed,,but it sure looked spiffy.We have so much xtra rain floating around if I could get some out to y'all,I'd do it in a heart beat(the heart beat ain't got a damn thing to do with a chevy) :shock: :lol: pop
pop/glenda