Front Engine Dress

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Rocket989

Front Engine Dress

Post by Rocket989 »

Could use some help with timing cover out. I could pull all the stuff off the 260 and move to the 302 but would rather leave it intact. As the really early timing covers are hard to find or $$ repro'd...looking for a inexpensive setup that'll work!!

Alternator is the only accessory, so need a setup that includes info for timing cover (like to keep mech. fuel pump provision though it's electric now), water pump (like it to be aluminum), and crank and water pump pulleys. I can re-use the FalconParts.com alt bracket but wouldn't mind hearing if you used something else.

Using a replacement aluminum radiator with stock hose locations and will be buying a balancer that has multiple sets of timing marks.

Thanks...JH
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Front Engine Dress

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Use a timing cover made for the right hand suction hose [standard rotation]for the water pump and timing pointer on the left [drivers side],64-65-66-67 [other years will work too].Make sure you get a STANDARD rotation water pump,available in cast iron or aluminum!Early front covers have the fuel pump opening and front mounted oil dipstick. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

If the timing cover on the 260 has the oil fill tube and cap it would fit but not work on the later engine as there is no hole in the front of the block for oil to get into the engine. though you could bore a hole in the block for oil to get through. Or you could use just don't add oil through that and install a valve cover on the drivers side for the oil fill and breather for the crankcase.

I would use the timing cover for a later 289/302 engine and a valve cover with the oil fill cap. Make sure whatever you use either has the cast in pointer or bolt on pointer for early 289's and up and made for a cast iron pump. some are made for an aluminum pump but it has to be the right pump. Stick with a cast pump for less fitment issues.

Better to save the 260 timing cover for an engine that could use it or as trading material. Others may be looking for that piece.
Ron

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks guys. I probably just need to find a late '60's motor and get all the stuff. If I'm really stuck on an aluminum pump, there are plenty o' aftermarket options.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Rocket989 wrote:Thanks guys. I probably just need to find a late '60's motor and get all the stuff. If I'm really stuck on an aluminum pump, there are plenty o' aftermarket options.
Be careful when looking for an aluminum pump. The early style aluminum pumps required a different timing cover to fit. those don't have a rear backing plate. All cast iron pumps have a backing plate so make sure the aluminum pump you want to use 'has' the backing plate. Then it will fit the same timing cover as a cast pump.

This is the inside of the timing cover made for a backless aluminum pump. Notice the smooth face made for smooth flow. Also notice the two threaded holes at the bottom that the pump bolts.

This is the inside of the timing cover that needs the backing plate on the pump. Notice the face is not smooth and is not made for coolant to come in contact with it. Also notice at the bottom it does not have the two threaded bolt holes but is instead notched so the pump that has two bolts in the bottom of the pump, the bolt heads will clear the cover but not bolt to it in those two areas.

So if you find an aluminum pump that has the backing plate and those two bolts from the back side then it will fit this timing cover. These timing covers come in two styles, early ones have a cast-in timing pointer. later ones used a bolt on timing pointer. Either style will work.

Ron

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Ron - Thanks, yea I've picked up the scoop on *most* of the friggin SBF timing cover stuff over the years. I've never been able to figure what the heck they were thinking with so many iterations of the same part!!

Digging through my junk, I might have found a setup that will work using a short serpentine belt. The water pump pulley is a redrilled for clockwise pump deal and I found alt brackets (oddly enough stamped D00E) so I guess '70.

The alternator would sit higher (on same pass side) so I need to make sure it clears the dipstick/ tube, etc. That said, a Fox 'Stang serp alt pulley and crank pulley should be easy enough to find...need to try things out fit-wise.

JH

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Rocket, sorry to inundate you with stuff you already know, many don't know the details so I'm accustomed to explaining in detail. I try to cover all the bases.

Ford has had a few iterations in their setups. I'm more familiar with v-belt systems than serpentine setups. Those can really get confusing. When I built my engine I basically duplicated a 66 mustang 289 which is what I am most famikliar with.

DOOE on the bracket would be 70. A pulley for serpentine should fit the alt ok.

Mine
Ron

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

No worries, nothing wrong with being thorough!! :D