temp sensor location

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Coldgin

temp sensor location

Post by Coldgin »

Greeting all, does anyone know where the temp sensor is located on a 289 made before mid 65? I know it is located on the intake manifold after mid 65, but manifolds made before that don't have to hole for it. I was thinking about buying a 65 289 4V intake, so I want to know where the temp sensor would have been installed. Thanks

popscomet

Re: temp sensor location

Post by popscomet »

THEY all screw in on top,,early had a small censer,,others had alittle biggerin front of the carb and around the dist....pop
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Usually between the dist and stat housing, actually real close to the dist. Some aftermarket intakes put it on the left near the left valve cover.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Unless your purist you put any intake on it. you can put the sensor in one of the thermastat housings that have a hole for it.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Unless your purist you put any intake on it. you can put the sensor in one of the thermastat housings that have a hole for it.
YOU know,I have seen 'em there before..............on my 2x4 intake it's on dr's side almost at the very end toward the front and it's real small,it's an old edelbrock intake,I have another 2x4 that has the plates to accept holly's ,,I'll have to check it for the senser size and I think my 3x2 set up takes a small senser also,,I'll try to check the location also,,,,,
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I bought one of these;
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0331

I think I plugged it though. but if I ever add a manual guage,which I plan too, put it in there.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

My 65 289 cast iron thermostat housing has the boss but no hole. could be drilled & tapped.
Johno

Coldgin

Post by Coldgin »

Yes, that's what I am talking about. I heard that early 289 intakes didn't have that temp sensor hole until approx mid 65. So obviously the temp sensor was in another location. Thats what I am trying to find out. Are you using that intake? If so, where is your temp sensor?
Here is a photo of 2 intakes, 68 and 64 castings. The blue one is the 68. You can clearly see the temp sensor hole right behind the distributor notch. The 64 does not have that hole. Take a look.

[img][IMG]http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/ratkin3445Coldgin/intakes_zpspampp878.jpg[/img][/img]

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:D
I see holes in both intakes behind the t-stat housing. the rusty one I see 2 holes.
Coldgin wrote:Yes, that's what I am talking about. I heard that early 289 intakes didn't have that temp sensor hole until approx mid 65. So obviously the temp sensor was in another location. Thats what I am trying to find out. Are you using that intake? If so, where is your temp sensor?
Here is a photo of 2 intakes, 68 and 64 castings. The blue one is the 68. You can clearly see the temp sensor hole right behind the distributor notch. The 64 does not have that hole. Take a look.

[img][IMG]http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/ratkin3445Coldgin/intakes_zpspampp878.jpg[/img][/img]
Not sure who or what intake your talking to or about :? .
Johno

Coldgin

Post by Coldgin »

On the blue intake, there is a hole on top of the thermostat housing. That is the water outlet. Behind that are 2 holes, in between the first two runners on the bottom. One is manifold mounting hole, and the other is a threaded mounting hole. Now, above those 2 holes and slightly forward, the hole with the 3 "fingers", that is the temp sensor hold. The 64 manifold does not have it. So with that being said, Ford must have put the temp sensor somewhere, but where did they put it?

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

On the blue one I see 3 possible locations. One right behind the dist, one right behind the stat housing and one in between the stat housing and the right front corner of the carb base closer to the carb. Though that one is usually used for the heater hose connection.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea there are several different heater hose elbows with sensor holes on them. I have one with about 3 holes & heater outlet from a much later model sbf.
Johno

Coldgin

Post by Coldgin »

Yes, the one behind the distributor is for the temp sensor. The one behind the stat housing is for the heater hose. The other hole you mention, between the stat housing and the carb flange is just a threaded boss I believe.

The casting for the 64 is C4OE-9425-B
After doing an online search of this number, I found that this manifold does indeed have the hole behind the distributor, leading me to believe that the rusty 64 either has a hole blocked with rust and debris, or has a broken temp sensor in there.
Its just hard to make out, but here is a clear photo of a good 64 manifold with temp sensor hole intact.

Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused. I just wanted to be sure beforehand because I have an opportunity to purchase one of these. Just haven't made it out of town to go look in person yet.

Here's the good manifold photo
[img][IMG]http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/ratkin3445Coldgin/64%20intake_zps2c46gfm6.jpg[/img][/img]

Groover

Post by Groover »

Coldgin wrote:leading me to believe that the rusty 64 either has a hole blocked with rust and debris, or has a broken temp sensor in there.
Its just hard to make out, but here is a clear photo of a good 64 manifold with temp sensor hole intact.

I vote for this. Looks like the raised area where the hole should be is where it is, but filled in with rust/debis.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

In that pic,the hole right behind the STAT houseing is where the heater hose goes ,,right past the runner on Pass side is where temp senser goes...I have a 64 CI intake,in fact it's the orignal, one off my 64......all intakes have a place for the temp unit,,regardless of year built...pop
pop/glenda