Generator wire

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
luc3ch

Generator wire

Post by luc3ch »

My generator is not charging. I found a yellow/black wire with terminal not connected to anything.
Does it go on the post on the back side of the generator? The back has a small canister looking part screwed to it that muyst be a capacitor or something. It has what looks like a post that could connect the black & yellow.

I did find the 64 1/2 wiring diagram that indicates black/yelloiw on the back. But want to be 100% sure.

I don't want to just blindly hook it up, fire the engine, and then fry something.

Help!
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

popscomet

Re: Generator wire

Post by popscomet »

that yellow with a black stripe heavy wire goes on the back of the generator........pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:that yellow with a black stripe heavy wire goes on the back of the generator........pop
that little canister as you call it sounds like the condenser to take care of the radio picking up the chargeing of the generator
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Sounds like Pop has you covered.
Here's a link to a 64 Comet manual for future reference http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=0-001

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Awesome guys thanks a million. Headed to our first car show today.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Sounds like a condensor which is used for filtering noise from the gen so the radio is less noisy. without it being connected won't effect the gen from charging. Just a noisy am band.
Sometimes they help.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

RON ain't that what I said ?? my has it and has never failed so they do help and at times they will be on the voltage regulator on the same wire,,,,pop
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Pop, yes you did say that. Sorry if i repeated. I have never had one fail either but have had the wire that goes into the condensor break right at the body so no way to reattach it. And the originals are not easy to find though I have found something that works just doesn't look the same.
You are right sometimes there is two of them. there is also another that goes inside the alt. some alts have it and some don't though they are available and can be added to most any 1g alts.

When an exact replacement can't be found this is one that will work. Just needs the plug cut off and a new connector added to hook it up .

Here's the capacitor that goes inside the alt to help suppress noise. Not all alts have this part but iut can be installed in most any 1g alts.
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Tue May 03, 2016 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

albert

Post by albert »

comethead wrote:Sounds like Pop has you covered.
Here's a link to a 64 Comet manual for future reference http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=0-001

Joe
Do you have a link for a 65 Comet manual??????
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

comethead

Post by comethead »

albert wrote:
comethead wrote:Sounds like Pop has you covered.

Joe
Do you have a link for a 65 Comet manual??????
Nothing online. I have a paper copy.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed