GT40P screwup

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
ironrod1966

GT40P screwup

Post by ironrod1966 »

Well, I think I screwed the pooch on my choice of heads for my 302 in my '66. I ASSUMED (I deserve what I got) that the engine compartment would accommodate the headers. The passenger side header fits great, but the drivers side looks to be about 2" shy of fitting. In the event I decide NOT to modify my shock tower for the header to fit, can anyone suggest a head that will perform similarly to the P head and not require any mods for the header?

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh6 ... 1qaauv.jpg

Wes

PS: I've complained about this under other forums, but I figure it belongs in this forum.

(PPS: I am going to try to install the headers first and then drop the motor in. Maybe I'll get lucky!)

redhotcomet

Re: GT40P screwup

Post by redhotcomet »

Look for GT40 (non-p) heads. They came on 1996 and early 1997 Explorers and some of the mid-90's Cobra cars (good luck finding one). Or some D0OE heads, which were 69-74(?) 351W heads. The GT40 heads were based off these heads. Or go aftermarket.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

ironrod1966

Post by ironrod1966 »

Okay.
Thanks!

Wes

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Ironrod - JBA and I think at least one other outfit makes headers for the P-heads in '65-'66 'Stangs. Those might fit; I'd give JBA a call. Sanderson also has some custom options for flanges on their shorty headers. Heck, call 'em both! :D

If neither has anything, the '66-'67 Comets used the same chassis as the Fairlane...might help the header search.

Edit - looks like Ford Powertrain lists a header for your car with the P heads:

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/fpaindex/Fairlane1.htm
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

ironrod1966

Post by ironrod1966 »

Thanks for the replies! I do have an update on the headers though.....the ones I have did fit! I removed the motor mount bolts and lifted from the drivers side of the motor as high as i could go. That allowed the room to get it between the shock tower and the head. There are two places where it is very tight but after doing a lot of research I found that bending the tube in a few places not going to affect performance. So yeah they fit and they're going to work.

In the event anyone is asked about this application, these headers are from Ford Racing. Part #M-9430--P50. Around $300. My car is a '66 Comet Capri, power steering, manual brakes. The motor is a 302 with gt40p heads.

This is a close closeup of the bolt on the shock tower that rubs the front tube after the gasket is installed.....

This is the area around the steering box. It is about 1/16"......

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Wes

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Glad they fit. I would not think a couple of well placed dimples in the tubes would hurt anything.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

And the torque will pull it away from the box.

Back to those early 351 Windsor head's that were suggested. If my memory from 1983 serves me at all I remember having to mill about .035 off the 351 head's to maintain compression. And I had to drill some steam holes too.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That part # FRPP heads is for a Fox 'Stang right? The biggest problem I see is how you're going to do an alignment if you can't loosen that nut for the upper control arm. Did you cut that bolt shorter also?

The other thing that's probably less of a problem - those header tubes being so close to the steering box might make the grease pretty runny. Might keep an eye on it!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

ironrod1966

Post by ironrod1966 »

lavron wrote:Glad they fit. I would not think a couple of well placed dimples in the tubes would hurt anything.

See Ya,
Mike
I've got my fingers crossed.
Rocket989 wrote:That part # FRPP heads is for a Fox 'Stang right? The biggest problem I see is how you're going to do an alignment if you can't loosen that nut for the upper control arm. Did you cut that bolt shorter also?

The other thing that's probably less of a problem - those header tubes being so close to the steering box might make the grease pretty runny. Might keep an eye on it!
The motor setup is a copy of what a lot of fox body mustang owners do. Basically a 302 with a cam and intake manifold upgrades with the stock heads from a 97 Explorer. The spark plug angles make regular 302 headers unusable. I mistakenly thought the engine compartment of my Comet was roomier than the mustang. So with this motor configuration I had to put some well placed dents in the tubes. Or I'd have to start over.

If I don't have the heat issues (the power steering hose is very close also) I'll live with it.

Thanks everyone! You have all been very helpful.
Oh, and I did pin the motor mounts.

Wes