351W heads on a 260

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
popscomet

Re: 351W heads on a 260

Post by popscomet »

bore on 221 is 3.58.........260 is 3.78.......289 is 4in,,,,,,all 3 has the 2.87 stroke.......
pop/glenda

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

I am negotiating to buy a 331 with Edelbrock heads and a T5. If that falls through, what do you guys think about a Weiand supercharger on the little 260? The Windsor heads have decent flow (for a 260) and the compression loss would be mitigated by the supercharger boost. At least that is my thought.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Good luck on the 331 and T5 would be very nice combo!
Id think about the bottom end on the 260, seems to me they got a bad rap back in the day for taking the rods out.
Dont remember the exact reason, think they have small rod bolts or sometbing.
I believe the 1964 Daytona 24 hr endurance run was in part to prove that the 289, although looked the same as the 260 was a much stronger motor.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

Good point. I will investigate that. I assumed that the bottom end was the same on the 260 and 289.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I bought one of those super chargers yrs ago,brand new and still have not put it on anything,,was thinking about replaceing the 2x4's on my comet ,but it has always been so dependable and has always been trouble free,that I just can't bring my self to changing anything about it,,,,,maybe one day I'll build something low compression and use it ,I almost put a 289 instead of the 390 in my f100 and had gave thought to using the super charger on the 289 ,but right there at the last minute I went with the 390,,,so reckon it will sit on the shelf for a little longer....good luck with what ever route you go ........I also have the adapter plates and the lifter valley cover plate to put this charger on a 351 w,,the first set up I had ever seen,,they came with the charger.....pop
pop/glenda

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

It appears that the 331/T5 deal is going to happen. This raises some new questions. EFI or carb? I think I will punt this decision down the road for later, and transplant the carb setup onto the 331 just to get it in and running quicker. Will the 260 front cover (with mechanical fuel pump) fit the roller 302 block? Do modern roller cams have the lobe to drive a mechanical pump? I don't mind buying an electric pump, but I would prefer to do that later after I finally decide EFI or Carb.

That brings me to the T5. The car has a T10 4 speed in it now. I expect that I will have to cut the floor for the shifter. I don't mind as the car has non-original buckets and a damaged console anyway. I am not going to bother with the S10 tailhousing as I think the stock shifter location is already too far forward. Will I need to fab a new cross-member?

What do you folks recommend for a clutch? It has a Z-bar now. I am hoping to be able to use the stock pedal assembly with a clutch cable from a Fox-body Mustang.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I wouldn't use the 260 timing cover on anything 289 and up even if it would work which it won't. Oil fill is incompatible. Plus you want to switch to a water pump with a back plate in place of the backless type.

I will always go with a diaphragm style clutch not the old 3 finger type. Less leg pressure needed to operate. And I think the TOB lasts longer. I would recommend a FMS King Cobra clutch which isn't made anymore. though you can still find them on listed on ebay. It has the same clamping pressure as a Cobra clutch with 10% less leg strength needed. That's what i run in Comechero and couldn't be happier.

I originally was going to use a cable clutch. then discovered the compact brake booster was small enough to allow me to keep the stock clutch and zbar setup. Removed the cable setup which I had already modified for,

You can continue to use the same crossmember but it would need some reenforement to compensate for cutting out part of the floor crossmember rib.
Ron

ants875

Post by ants875 »

I went carb on my 347 and it runs great, but almost wish I did efi. But that's preference.

I have a ford motor sports clutch not sure which one but the still make them and mine has never slipped ever.

Ant

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

They still make the Cobra clutch just not the King Cobra which is in my opinion is the favored clutch even though it's priced more.
Ron

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Comechero65 wrote:They still make the Cobra clutch just not the King Cobra which is in my opinion is the favored clutch even though it's priced more.
Ron
That I can't answer but I'll bet his 331 is not making any more power then my 347 and I'm not easy on my car or clutch and it holds just fine. So if you can't get the king one the other works just fine.

Ant

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

My Comet has 195/70/14 Tiger Paw tires, so any clutch will hold :lol: I hope the neighbors like the smell of burnt rubber.

So the Z-bar actuator will work with the T5? That is great news!

Also, good advice about the front cover. I didn't even think about the dipstick location :oops: I will just slap on an electric fuel pump and leave the new motor as is.

I am hoping to get the swap done very quickly. I will go back over it and make changes later.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

351 Pinto wrote:My Comet has 195/70/14 Tiger Paw tires, so any clutch will hold :lol: I hope the neighbors like the smell of burnt rubber.

So the Z-bar actuator will work with the T5? That is great news!

Also, good advice about the front cover. I didn't even think about the dipstick location :oops: I will just slap on an electric fuel pump and leave the new motor as is.

I am hoping to get the swap done very quickly. I will go back over it and make changes later.
Your zbar can continue to be used with the T5 but you will probably need to add a spacer block to the TOA pivot because of the deeper bh.

The old 260 timing cover wont work because there is no hole on the block behind the cover where oil would flow into the engine from the fill tube. Though a hole could be bored there for it. Switching to a cover that uses a backplate on the water pump which eliminates corrosion destroying the cover.

You don't have to switch to an electric fuel pump as long as your engine has an eccentric for the pump and the cover has the boss for its' mounting.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

he could pour the oil in the valve cover.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:he could pour the oil in the valve cover.
POP has used that 260 cover on other engines,so don't say it won't work...have even plugged the dip stick hole.......I just never depended on the oilfill,have always used the VC to pour oil into the crank case.THAT SAME cover was on 221 ,260,and some early 289's,,,and as far as HAVING to use the water pump with the backing plate will depend on which cover being used,,,my 64 289 has the water pump with out the backing plate it came new with it the one on it ,has been in use for over 20 plus yrs ,works perfect,my engine runs as cool as it can ever run..but most parts places don't stock it,,,it's alumn ,light as a feather,,,,,so I always carry another new one in the trunk,just in case I get into a tight when out of town with the comet......sometimes bad info is worst then no info at all..jmo
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

That is true the valve cover can be used for the oil fill. No mods to the block needed.
Ron