scored valve guides

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Kingspeedy2

scored valve guides

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

as per MFG instructions I blew air through the water jackets of my brand new aluminum cylinder heads .Lets just call them ABC brand
there was enough swarf in there I am glad I did, Also there was a little floating in the bags they came in and a few tiny bits in the runners so I decided to fully disassemble the heads
I did not see the need to pop off the umbrella valve seals since they are new and I was sure I could blow some air around to ensure they were clean

well crud... on withdrawing 2 of the Exhaust valves they got partially down the bronze guide and they started to pick up they wouldn't go back in so I had to continue to twist and pull them out.
Now there is a groove almost the full length in 2 of the exhaust guides.
I only attempted the 2nd and 3rd ones as they were the last valves I had all the rest out .I didn't want to leave several valves dangling around in there

a 3rd Exhaust valve one wouldn't even start down the whole so I left it in
they must have reemed the guide from the chamber side and left a sharp burr which picked up on the retainer groove on the valve stem

I am thinking its not a super big deal being on the exhaust side and less not likely oil is going to be sucked down
I don't like the idea of a grove almost the full length as exhaust gases may sneek past .
I put them away and will look again today at the severity .I was feeling disappointed and had to put them aside .They were not cheap at about $2000 canadian

Now would be the time to put 2 new guides but finding a quality engine machine that does quality work isn't easy in my parts
hard to say without a good visual I know
your thoughts? I have emailed customer support

Lip Ripper

Re: scored valve guides

Post by Lip Ripper »

Well, sound's like it ain't China's finest work. Look and see if the stem's have flared out where the retainer's hold them. If so, you can file those bur's off.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BACK IN THE LATE 90's,,my son bought a new pair of alumn heads for his GT mustang,,,we had so much trouble with that pair of heads ,and we won't mention the brand,but he had so much conversation with the supplier and done so much useless corrections to them and finaly ,the supplier ask the LOT NUMBER ON THE BOX,after finding that out the supplier told my son ,,well we had a run of bad heads for awhile,,,so we will send you another pair or REFUND your money,son said ,,,send me the money as I will buy another brand ,,,and they did !! THAT other brand has been on the 94 GT ever since and not another problem,,,and he still has this 94 GT..pop
pop/glenda

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

when I said ABC brand I just didn't want to get into a brand bashing ,These ones are made In California.
Its possible the keeper raised a little burr on the valve stem,I didn't feel on before attempting to pull them out.
The have never been installed
I will look today

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

[quote="Kingspeedy2"]when I said ABC brand I just didn't want to get into a brand bashing that was the respectful thing to do....pop
pop/glenda