289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
sursmilie64

Boat

Post by sursmilie64 »

Will a 5.0 boat motor work in a car?

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Boat

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

It will work great!! First you will need to change all the marine bits over to car parts,SAME basic engine though!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I read somewhere ford marine boat engines used a reverse rotation but don't know if that's a myth or truth.
Ron

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

I think that only happened in a TWIN engine craft!! ROY.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:I think that only happened in a TWIN engine craft!! ROY.
For the most part twin engine, but some single engine applications had reverse rotation. Rotation will be marked on the engine sticker on the valve cover. But they go by flywheel rotation not balancer. For example my boat is a CCW rotation, but the balancer spins clockwise.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:I think that only happened in a TWIN engine craft!! ROY.
I think that sounds right Roy with only one engine in reverse rotation & one normal rotation?
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Comechero65 wrote:I read somewhere ford marine boat engines used a reverse rotation but don't know if that's a myth or truth.
Ron
that way enables you to steer it :roll: :? :wink: :lol:
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John and Pop;that is correct,only one of the two would counter rotate!Watch a GOOD driver walk a twin right up to the dock!!Back to the original question,I seriously doubt it would be counter rotating if it came out of a single engine boat!! ROY.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

popscomet wrote:
Comechero65 wrote:I read somewhere ford marine boat engines used a reverse rotation but don't know if that's a myth or truth.
Ron
that way enables you to steer it :roll: :? :wink: :lol:
You are probably right turning with dual screws would probably be easier with opposite rotating screws.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SEVERAL yrs ago my neighbor had a big boat,,had downstairs bunk beds iit was big,,,this guy wanted the motor out of it,,it was a 350 chevy,,,I had him to park the boat between 2 tall pine trees,and I used a ladder and stretched a chain from tree to tree,,then hung a snatch block right over the motor,I used my PTO winch on my bronco,lifted that dude right out of the boat,he pulled the boat out of the way,then backed his truck in under the swinging motor and I lowered it right into his truck,,,he installed that motor in his el comineo
pop/glenda

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

I don't know about all 5.0 boat motors but the one I worked on a while ago had a different firing order.The guy let the block freeze up and crack so we put in a car reman short block,used the firing order on the marine manifold...no start.Switched to the Mercruiser cam,ran great.Took a while to figure that out,however. Soooo,if you use the marine long block and your manifold,check the firing order.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Firing order depends on the cam. A lot of performance cam's for 289/302's use the 351W firing order.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

That happens a lot!! The old engine and cam were set up for late model firing order!! ROY.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lip Ripper wrote:Firing order depends on the cam. A lot of performance cam's for 289/302's use the 351W firing order.
The thumper cam from comp that I'm using has a 351w firing order.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Lip Ripper wrote:Firing order depends on the cam. A lot of performance cam's for 289/302's use the 351W firing order.
The thumper cam from comp that I'm using has a 351w firing order.
do you know why??
pop/glenda