Exhaust Manifold / Collector questions

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
anoNY42

Exhaust Manifold / Collector questions

Post by anoNY42 »

Upon removing a muffler for replacement, I noticed that my exhaust pipe was extremely loose (i.e. swinging back and forth under the car). Turns out the flange from the manifold to the pipe is very loose; the nuts are almost all the way off of the studs, but are stuck. The exhaust system is relatively new, so I think maybe the person installing it just got frustrated with the nuts and left them loose rather than trying to tighten them back up.

I cannot get the lower nut off with my ratchet, so I figure I will take off the entire exhaust manifold on that side and pull the pipe out with it (about a 5 foot section).

I want to have a set of exhaust manifold bolts on hand since I might end up breaking one or all of them, but all I find specifically for 1971 302's is a kit on Macs that are intended to look original.

Can I use any bolt fit for a 302, such as header bolt kits from ARP or some other fastener company? I would prefer name brand over what Macs has. Also, can I just use 8 bolts, or does it have to be a mix of bolts and studs like I think was stock?

Thanks!

StPro

Re: Exhaust Manifold / Collector questions

Post by StPro »

Did you heat the nut with a torch until it was red hot? They will usually spin right off
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

anoNY42

Post by anoNY42 »

StPro wrote:Did you heat the nut with a torch until it was red hot? They will usually spin right off
I haven't tried anything except the ratchet (and I don't have a torch anyway). I'm thinking I might want to remove the manifold just to make replacing the collector flange studs and nuts easier.

StPro

Post by StPro »

A propane torch is all you should need. It is always worth a try.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

anoNY42 wrote:
StPro wrote:Did you heat the nut with a torch until it was red hot? They will usually spin right off
I haven't tried anything except the ratchet (and I don't have a torch anyway). I'm thinking I might want to remove the manifold just to make replacing the collector flange studs and nuts easier.
You stand a chance of breaking off a bolt in the block when you take off the manifold. & that would be hard to get out without pulling the motor. Sometimes it is easier to fork over the cheese, carry it to a shop with a torch & pay them to get the old ones out. but it is your can of worms. :lol:
Johno

anoNY42

Post by anoNY42 »

poboyjo65 wrote:but it is your can of worms. :lol:
StPro wrote:A propane torch is all you should need. It is always worth a try.
Just one can of worms after another! I will try investing in a torch first, though...