Headers for small bock in a 63

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
351 Pinto

Headers for small bock in a 63

Post by 351 Pinto »

Anyone have a good recommendation for headers in a 63? It has the original front end and inner fenders. I am planning to keep the Z-bar clutch setup. The car has Hooker long tubes on it now, but they are pretty beat up. The engine is a 331 with Edelbrock heads, so 325-ish HP. It is a street car, so I don't mind giving up a few ponies in exchange for a proper fit.

I have a pair of equal length shorties that were on the motor when I bought it. I will see if they fit, but I am not optimistic.

Lip Ripper

Re: Headers for small bock in a 63

Post by Lip Ripper »

I used 65 stang but I ran a C4.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Dougs Headers and Ford Powertrain make some that'll fit easy enough. Not cheap but nice stuff.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I used Sanderson shorties in mine.

ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Mine has the Hooker long tubes in it, but I'm running a C4.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

ElGuapo wrote:Mine has the Hooker long tubes in it, but I'm running a C4.
Good looking Motor!! :D

I have a jack like that . I was loading it up to go to the Pigeon Forge comet gathering & had to pull the ac delco stickers off it ,didnt want Pop to see it in my trunk with those on it. :lol:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

good for you !! as I would have said something,for sure :roll: :lol: ,,,JUST be dang sure you use safety stands when using it,,I sure wouldn't trust it...did you win it thru a raffle or a free gift as a door prize or see it deserted on the side of a gravel road :?: :shock: :?
pop/glenda

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

rjones35 wrote:I used Sanderson shorties in mine.
Do you recall if it was Sanderson FF3GTS? They also have FF6.

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

In case someone needs this in the future:

Sanderson FF6 shorties worked out well. They are very well made with good welds, good coating, excellent fit, etc. I like the "gasketless" design feature. Time will tell if it really works.

The passenger side dropped in from the top with out much wrangling. The drivers side required me to remove the z-bar, turn the steering wheel to the left, and feed the headers up from the bottom. Once in place, the #8 tube was sitting on the top of the motor mount, keeping the bolt holes from aligning. Rather than dent the tube, I took off just a bit of the top corner of the motor mount with a grinder. My motor mounts have about a 1/4 inch of steel plate that protrudes above the rubber. I just took off the rear corner of that plate and it was enough to fit the header.

63 Comet
302 (331) roller motor
T5 trans
Fox Body bellhousing (original throw out bearing and arm from the Comet)
Modern Driveline throw out arm pivot and z-bar pivot ball

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

How do they fit past the steering box? The steeper angle on the FF6's seemed like they'd have more clearance than the Hedman 884xx shorties. Post a couple pics if ya can!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

They fit pretty well. The collector sits lower than the steering box. The headers have to be fed up from under the car, as there is no way the collector is going to squeeze between the motor and the shock tower, or between the block and the steering box. Once the header is in place, though, there is plenty of room.