Cooling system

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
thrnelson

Cooling system

Post by thrnelson »

The snow has started to fall here in the North so it is time to have a different kind of fun and start preparing for next spring. I am ordering a Ron Francis wire harness and I want to get the cooling taken care of at the same time. I have a 65 Caliente with a 289 that has a small cam of unknown origin, Weiand manifold and a 4 barrel Holley. A previous owner installed a flex fan with a metal shroud. I drove it everyday this summer and it drove great. However when I was in stop and go traffic or a drive through the temp started climbing up to 210. I want to make it so I can drive this thing anyplace without worry. Does anybody have a recommendation on a radiator and/or electric fan?

Tims1965MercuryComet

Re: Cooling system

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

I have a Champion 3 row aluminum radiator and a Hayden electric fan. I had to go with the electric fan as the stock fan was too close to the radiator, can't' remove or replace the fan belt.
Tim
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out my Christmas list.

loman

Post by loman »

I don't have a recommendation for a radiator or fan but I do have a suggestion. A wise man once on this site that is no longer with us once suggested to me a Gano filter. It is a filter that installs inline of your upper radiator hose. You can do a search on here and find a few threads and get some more info. If you buy a new radiator, I would highly recommend it as good insurance on your purchase.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

If you go electric, make sure you've got on the order of 2500cfm!! How close is your can to the rad?? More than 3/4" it won't pull enough air through (likely). The 6-blade 17" "Hi-Po" repro is the best OEM-type replacement option. Blades half in/ half out of shroud. x2 on the filter and any decent 2-3 row rad should be fine.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mine was too tight for an electric fan,as a puller fan,& I didnt want a pusher. The people I've seen with elec fans have dual fans,& a wider rad, so the water pump snout can go between them. Ratical is one guy who did this. I used an aluminum, wider crossflow rad from summit & flexfan .I had to make the opening bigger in the the rad support. it was a universal rad - about 230 bucks. cools great with a flexfan & no shroud.
Johno

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

I was thinking the 3 row champion with a flexalite 16" low profile fan. I had read about the filter and am going to take that advice.

Thanks for the advice.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

210 degree's is okay for a hot idle.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

thrnelson wrote:I was thinking the 3 row champion with a flexalite 16" low profile fan. I had read about the filter and am going to take that advice.

Thanks for the advice.
Just my opinion, but I would get the rad first, & mounted ,then see how much room you have. these cars are tight. If you are talking about a slim electric fan you should read this before hand. just because it fits doesn't mean it will cool good.
https://www.flex-a-lite.com/blog/when-2 ... -2500-cfm/
your flexfan with no shroud would probably be better than a basket fan (elec) with no shroud.
Johno

6t5404

Post by 6t5404 »

You might have the wrong thermostat. If you are running a 160, try going to a 180 or 195. Sounds silly, but that cured my 401 AMX. the coolant has to stay in the block until the radiator has a chance to cool what is in it, then the block releases the hotter coolant and pushes the cooled back into the block.
a proper shroud is also helpful.

comethead

Post by comethead »

My 65 V8 has a stock looking 3 row copper/brass radiator made in USA by US Radiator. Stock 5 blade fan and steel shroud with a Gano filter. Runs cool all the time! Even 105 deg days.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed