johnef805

289 Heads rebuit

Post by johnef805 »

I have my heads back from the machine shop. $1000.00 to make HIPO heads

Matty

Re: 289 Heads rebuit

Post by Matty »

Nice!

1962 Mercury Comet S22 302 5.0 T5 Custom: tfs 1 cam & springs, 8.8 31 spline lsd 373 rear, 5 lug disc conversion front and rear, new V8 steering components, Gt40 heads, Performer RPM intake, phenolic spacer, Brawler 650

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Look great! but that's a lot of cheeze for iron heads. :o :shock:
Johno

StPro

Post by StPro »

Heads look great. I need to tear apart my old motor and and have the heads re-done and sell them so I can buy race parts.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

johnef805

Re: 289 Heads rebuilt

Post by johnef805 »

Yes that's a lot a cheese, but I Am trying to keep it # matching and get about 425 HP My Block and M1 crank is almost ready for building. I am thinking a roller cam? I am not sure what kind of cam I should but in. I would like to get 6000 RPM. Any thoughts?

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

425 flywheel HP or about 350-whp behind a manual trans isn't going to be easy even with massively ported iron heads, bigger valves, etc. and even then it'll be rowdy. I don't think I've ever seen a set of unported heads make that kinda HP.

Those look nice though - if they're ~54cc and you zero deck the block and use a .038-41 head gasket with 1.608-1.610CH pistons you can get 9.8-1 compression - maybe a little more. A decent solid, flat tappet cam (or roller cam w/ link-bar lifters - on 289 blocks make sure the oil hole doesn't stick out of the lifter bore due to the big bevels), something like a Weiand 7515 intake (or Vic Jr.), and 650-cfm mech-sec carb, long tube headers, and so on. IMO It'll run GOOD, but I don't think it'll make >400 flywheel HP.

Take a look at PowerHeads...that's the kind of port work along with big custom cams and induction systems that it takes to make that kinda power. Lot of old SuperStock NMRA, class road race guys know a lot of the "secrets"...

http://www.powerheads.com/289rr.html
http://www.powerheads.com/289rrheads.html
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

Rocket989 wrote:425 flywheel HP or about 350-whp behind a manual trans isn't going to be easy even with massively ported iron heads, bigger valves, etc. and even then it'll be rowdy. I don't think I've ever seen a set of unported heads make that kinda HP.

Those look nice though - if they're ~54cc and you zero deck the block and use a .038-41 head gasket with 1.608-1.610CH pistons you can get 9.8-1 compression - maybe a little more. A decent solid, flat tappet cam (or roller cam w/ link-bar lifters - on 289 blocks make sure the oil hole doesn't stick out of the lifter bore due to the big bevels), something like a Weiand 7515 intake (or Vic Jr.), and 650-cfm mech-sec carb, long tube headers, and so on. IMO It'll run GOOD, but I don't think it'll make >400 flywheel HP.

Take a look at PowerHeads...that's the kind of port work along with big custom cams and induction systems that it takes to make that kinda power. Lot of old SuperStock NMRA, class road race guys know a lot of the "secrets"...

http://www.powerheads.com/289rr.html
http://www.powerheads.com/289rrheads.html
I talked to those powerheads guys and man! :shock: Big bucks for those too.
FWIW I'm gonna run a solid lifter Isky cam in my 302 for the Falcon track car. Not sure power ouput.

Hey Rocket...I'm undecided on header type. I like the idea of the fit of the Doug's tri-Y's. But I wouldn't want to choke my engine at higher RPM. Im using ported iron heads so not sure I could exploit the advantages of long tubes.
What ya think?
(Sorry to Jack the thread...but it's related :D )

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I'm sure perf engine builder guys would tell you to use 1-3/4" primary long tubes and 3-inch exhaust...IF they'll fit!! I've only found the Crites stuff in 1-3/4 and don't the front two tubes go under the LCA's on those?? Dunno about clearing the z-bar either... You don't have to worry as much about ground clearance on a race car but I'd wanna make sure they'd work. FPA might make something too.

For your 289 I don't think there's enough difference in long tubes and tri-y's with the same primary tube size (e.g. both 1-5/8") to make much diff. I'd go with the better fit/ value.

BTW - Plans change...the 302 I had didn't pan out (sigh) so I've got a solid, flat tappet 289 on deck now...two peas in a pod!

Sorry for the thread-jack OP! :lol: :lol:

comethead

Post by comethead »

Rocket989 wrote:I'm sure perf engine builder guys would tell you to use 1-3/4" primary long tubes and 3-inch exhaust...IF they'll fit!! I've only found the Crites stuff in 1-3/4 and don't the front two tubes go under the LCA's on those?? Dunno about clearing the z-bar either... You don't have to worry as much about ground clearance on a race car but I'd wanna make sure they'd work. FPA might make something too.

For your 289 I don't think there's enough difference in long tubes and tri-y's with the same primary tube size (e.g. both 1-5/8") to make much diff. I'd go with the better fit/ value.

BTW - Plans change...the 302 I had didn't pan out (sigh) so I've got a solid, flat tappet 289 on deck now...two peas in a pod!

Thanks man! I'll probably go with the Doug's tri-y's with 2 1/4" side exhaust with glass packs. :D

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

425 hp with stock iron heads , factory intake etc maybe 325-350 I have cnc'd aluminum heads, 10.0cr custom roller cam,hi rise alum intake 1 5/8 hooker headers ,2.5in ex modded 4100 and it pulled 385 true hp at the flyheel , no P/S manual trans. running 7200rpm good luck getting that hp and looking stock. I am moving up to next size CNC'd cyl head, 2x4 ported intake and 600in lift cam in my 289 and hope to get 450hp at flywheel.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Rocket989 wrote:I'm sure perf engine builder guys would tell you to use 1-3/4" primary long tubes and 3-inch exhaust...IF they'll fit!! I've only found the Crites stuff in 1-3/4 and don't the front two tubes go under the LCA's on those?? Dunno about clearing the z-bar either... You don't have to worry as much about ground clearance on a race car but I'd wanna make sure they'd work. FPA might make something too.

Hey so what happened to the 302? What's the specs on the solid cam 289?
(You can PM me if you don't want to clutter up this thread. But then again at least we're bumping it up!) :wink:

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

The 302 mighta "ran fine when pulled" but it was doing it with a blown head gasket... :roll: Didn't look so great inside.

I knee-jerked and found this 289 shortblock & set of Perf RPM alum heads. Not without its share of BS either though but I think it'll turn out OK. It's a new build on the shortblock but a bit dubious on a few little things...it was largely Brand-X race shop that put it together. :shock: Rear main seal wasn't offset, windage tray was installed wrong and so on. I've been checking/ fixing stuff out as I've had the chance. Take a while longer to get everything toghether since I've gotta sell a lot of the stuff from the other motor and replace for this one (balancer, flywheel, and so on).

Big stuff looks OK...clearances look good (thrust .005, etc.) and I can see it was balanced. Big ole domed Icon pistons that I figured up as 10.8:1 with the RPM heads and .038 gasket. Cam is a Comp 282S + 1.7 rockers. Thing oughta sound/ run healthy if it doesn't kaboom... :mrgreen:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

JH you better check the head gaskets. brand X guys building fords usually put one on upside down, never paying attention to the tabs that say ''front'', & it'll block off the water passage & run hot. next most common mistake they make is they get the wires on dist. in wrong rotation. :roll:
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Haha! Indeed - nah, heads ain't on yet...I just dropped 'em off at the head shop today to get surfaced. Have to put new springs (and retainers) in when I get 'em back.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Rocket989 wrote:The 302 mighta "ran fine when pulled" but it was doing it with a blown head gasket... :roll: Didn't look so great inside.

I knee-jerked and found this 289 shortblock & set of Perf RPM alum heads. Not without its share of BS either though but I think it'll turn out OK. It's a new build on the shortblock but a bit dubious on a few little things...it was largely Brand-X race shop that put it together. :shock: Rear main seal wasn't offset, windage tray was installed wrong and so on. I've been checking/ fixing stuff out as I've had the chance. Take a while longer to get everything toghether since I've gotta sell a lot of the stuff from the other motor and replace for this one (balancer, flywheel, and so on).

Big stuff looks OK...clearances look good (thrust .005, etc.) and I can see it was balanced. Big ole domed Icon pistons that I figured up as 10.8:1 with the RPM heads and .038 gasket. Cam is a Comp 282S + 1.7 rockers. Thing oughta sound/ run healthy if it doesn't kaboom... :mrgreen:
That's a bummer about the 302! Your 289 will be a runner!