Mysterious pools of oil in the front crevices of intake

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
poboyjo65

Re: Mysterious pools of oil in the front crevices of intake

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket989 wrote:What Pop said! IIRC, early SBF heads...some of the intake bolt holes weren't "blind", they went all the way through. Oil can wick up and out. Thought they were the center four though...I'll have to go down and look. I've got at least one set of C6OE heads and plenty of later stuff. Solution? Thread sealer on the bolts!! I've had the same thing, though again...more towards center! At the very front...opens up more possibilities...

John - those intake gaskets look like Fel Pro 1250's!!! They make a steel core version (S3) that won't do that!! Just from looking at the pic though!

And don't over-torque the intake bolts on a SBF! They go straight down...no sense startin' to pull the head(s) UP!
save your self a trip down, scroll up & look at my pic at the sealant of the bolt holes in the heads for intake,I believe none are blind. :lol: those holes go all the way thru & is why I put it on there

& I think that is what I put back on. but if my dad was here to tell you I could tear those up too,,,no problem :oops:
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

The 289 in my Comet doesn't leak anything on top! Always dry as can be on the intake and timing cover.
But my front and rear mains leave nickel sized puddles everywhere I go :x
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I'd went and looked...speed it up next time John!! On my RPM heads, only 2 & 5 go through...there are two (I think) castings though, early & late. Mine were made in '08 best I can tell.

Both late heads (D8 & E7) 2,3,4,5 go through. On the C6 heads, all go through but yah, front and back overhang the decks so anything leaking "out of" those ain't wicking around a bolt!!

I had a long discussion with the brother recently on rear mains. He insisted the 2-pc is a better design (if installed properly) than the later 1-pc since it has the outer lip of the block to support it. Theoretically that makes sense but I guess I've just seen fewer 1-pc seals leak and if they do, it's less.

I noticed Fel Pro now makes a "premium" 2-pc rear seal (EPDM/ Teflon or whatever). Dunno if it's any better than the old black one though...costs a lot more!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

Me engine guy said the same thing. He says the 2 piece works right...when done right.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket989 wrote:I'd went and looked...speed it up next time John!! On my RPM heads, only 2 & 5 go through...there are two (I think) castings though, early & late. Mine were made in '08 best I can tell.

Both late heads (D8 & E7) 2,3,4,5 go through. On the C6 heads, all go through but yah, front and back overhang the decks so anything leaking "out of" those ain't wicking around a bolt!!

I had a long discussion with the brother recently on rear mains. He insisted the 2-pc is a better design (if installed properly) than the later 1-pc since it has the outer lip of the block to support it. Theoretically that makes sense but I guess I've just seen fewer 1-pc seals leak and if they do, it's less.

I noticed Fel Pro now makes a "premium" 2-pc rear seal (EPDM/ Teflon or whatever). Dunno if it's any better than the old black one though...costs a lot more!
sorry I was doin some pluming in the french 1/4 :roll:
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yikes!!! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)