Speaking of holes...

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Rocket989

Speaking of holes...

Post by Rocket989 »

So, same (but different) as putting 289 heads on a late block, I'm using Edelbrock RPM heads on a 289 block...so, gotta drill "steam" holes. The earlier 4-digit Performer heads had "eyebrows" that went across all the holes so ya didn't have to drill. Eddy's instructions show just drilling 1 & 5. Some knowledgeable folks say don't drill 'em at all & some say ya gotta drill all 8. Finally, some as per the instructions say the 2 are fine...

I'm gonna call Eddy - hoping they'll confirm 2 is good. There are core casting rods in some of the locations I'd need to drill on some of the other cylinders. The screwing up an anvil analogy comes up easy when I think about me drilling through/ past those.

Interesting stuff to read about. One feller was saying they're not "steam" holes since if you've got steam inside a running engine...bigger problems for you, and some tiny 1/8" holes ain't gonna help. They're actually coolant circulation holes and you don't need/ want them...Ford quit doing it on later stuff so why go back?

I dunno...was wondering what y'all think?!? :D :D :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lip Ripper

Re: Speaking of holes...

Post by Lip Ripper »

It can't hurt. Right?
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Rocket989

Re: Speaking of holes...

Post by Rocket989 »

Nope, only if it gets hosed-up. Eddy says only front 2 are required...will do that!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)