HiPo Heads

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
The Transplanter

HiPo Heads

Post by The Transplanter »

Hello all

I have just been given the opportunity to purchase a pair of original HiPo heads, which are likely in need of a freshen up for £500 here in the UK (approx $655).

Are these worth getting to fit on my 65 Cyclone? I know aluminium heads will be better in this day & age, but are they worth it for a period modification?

If so what other supporting mods will I need to get them to work?

Cheers

Al

Lip Ripper

Re: HiPo Heads

Post by Lip Ripper »

Let me say this. If they are Hipo head's the area where the valve spring sit's on the head is milled, not flat. So if they're Hipo head's there is sort of a seat milled into the head to keep the valve spring in place.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IMO,that's too much money....hi-po heads have a machine pocket for the spring to set in and screw in studs.....that's the only difference.....pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

There's nothing special about the Hipo heads except the spring seats Stacey referred to and screw-in studs.
Port size is the same as standard as well as valve size.
You'll have $1000 into them and they're still just stock iron heads.

I'd say not worth it unless it's a true verified Hipo car and the dates match the engine and car build dates.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

The Transplanter

Thanks for the info, sounds like I may as well pass on them.

I'll spend the money elsewhere :twisted:

comethead

Post by comethead »

popscomet wrote:IMO,that's too much money....hi-po heads have a machine pocket for the spring to set in and screw in studs.....that's the only difference.....pop
Pop I think we posted at the same time! 8)
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

If they’re legit HiPo heads, you may be able to make some money at that price. Though I don’t know what the UK market is like for that stuff. For your build I’m with Joe & Pop...in the end the same $$ will get ya a set of aluminum heads that are better in every way!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

The Transplanter

Rocket989 wrote:If they’re legit HiPo heads, you may be able to make some money at that price. Though I don’t know what the UK market is like for that stuff. For your build I’m with Joe & Pop...in the end the same $$ will get ya a set of aluminum heads that are better in every way!
Anything K code is desirable here in the UK as well, probably more so as you never see hipo parts for sale ever, and the parts can be used in historic FIA racing.

My friend is going to speak to the guy to see what other stuff he may have stashed away as there may be other bits we can buy to sell on!