1965 Comet Caliente- Headers

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
garch65

1965 Comet Caliente- Headers

Post by garch65 »

Hi Comet enthusiast,

I have my 65 Comet completely apart being restored and painted. Stock engine 289 225 hp factory 4 speed, engine and tranny are currently out.
I want to install headers, is it easier installing them with the engine in or out? Any recommendations on type for long term regarding leaks?
Also any thoughts on long verses short etc... I don't have much knowledge but want to learn :)
From what I have read thus far-
Doug Tri_Y ceramic coated seems to be the best fit and performance? Is the performance worth the expense verses the original Manifolds or is it mainly a sound effect?
sorry for all the questions, trying to learn.

Before everything was taken apart, it had stock manifolds with glass packs

I appreciate all the help I have received so far from everyone!

poboyjo65

Re: 1965 Comet Caliente- Headers

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you want performance,then yes the dougs would be better. but if it ran good enough before then stay with the iron manifolds for just daily driving. You can get a great sound out of one without headers. but if you want all the power you can possible get then you want headers. Install headers as you put the motor in, is the easiest way. that way you are ready to pick it up if needed. being able to move the motor over to one side & back & up & down really helps the job go smoother.
Johno

garch65

Re: 1965 Comet Caliente- Headers

Post by garch65 »

Johno,
Thanks!
Ken