Do I need a electric fuel pump

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
jtgb428

Do I need a electric fuel pump

Post by jtgb428 »

Hey guys, Jim here. I have a 65 Caliente with a mild performance 289. I just installed a fuel cell in the trunk of the car. Will the stock fuel pump or an aftermarket performance fuel pump that bolts up to the front of the engine be sufficient or should I install an electric fuel pump do a better job to get the fuel to the front of the engine and up to the carb. Thanks, Jtgb428...

poboyjo65

Re: Do I need a electric fuel pump

Post by poboyjo65 »

You should be Ok with a stock mechanical pump. I made a fuel cell which has a gas pick up on the top of it & I use an edelbrock mechanical pump on my 347. but it only runs about 6 psi or so. I think that is about what the stock pump does. If I were you I'd give it a try. If I ever need another one I'll go back to a stock pump, the eddy was just an impulse buy.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IMO..you do not need an lectric pump,,,,,I too have a warmed over 289 with 2x4 carbs and have never had the 1st time to ever run out of gas and it has been rodded many times,,,,,and I have the stock mech pump......my oldest grd son has a open whl modified race car,,that has a whole lot more motor then a warmed over 289,it also runs a mech fuel pump......but if you decide that an lectric pump is for you,,,,you have to be safe !! and by that I mean,,,buy and install the safety switch on the motor ,the SS works under oil pressure,,ours on these ford pwrd race cars have the lectric pump wired to it and when the oil pressure falls below 12 lbs or lower it shuts off the lectric fuel pump...so that way if and when we happen to be in a crash the fuel pump won't keep pumping and possiblely feed a fire...in fact on a race track around here,,with out a SS on the motor ,you cannot put it on the track....if you have a lectric pump......good luck in what ever way you go,,,,just be safe when it comes to an lectric pump...OL POP has seen to much ,not to be......pop
pop/glenda

jtgb428

Post by jtgb428 »

Thank you very much, much appreciated.... Jim..