Intermediate motor mount ford 260

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
62Cometman

Intermediate motor mount ford 260

Post by 62Cometman »

so i got the full "conversion" mount kit from auto krafters that includes a motor mount intermediate mount and a frame mount now the motor mounts and the frame mounts look fine its the intermediate mounts im worried about they label left and right and to place the mount in the same location they should be mirror images of each other right? well the hole drilled in the face for the motor mount stud is in the same location on each on not mirrored, and the bottom mounting stud for the frame mount is offset but not far enough so the one mount would place that side of the engine further forward than the other side by what looks to be the better part of an inch or more which doesnt seem like much now but by the time i attach the transmission the end of the tailshaft will be touching my tunnel im sure of it. Am i crazy or was the mount made incorrectly?

https://www.ebay.com/i/222702225428?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

kit i bought

i dont actually have the 260 in front of me to check exacts but the mounting holes are placed evenly on each side are they not?
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

poboyjo65

Re: Intermediate motor mount ford 260

Post by poboyjo65 »

They are not mirrored images of each other. & sounds like they are normal. I wouldn't worry about it.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

x2 the offset is correct...I’ve spent a lot of time with motor mounts lately... :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

Ok, thanks guys i looked at those and thought that cant be right but i hadnt done a full mock up yet to tell. I wanted to "enclose" the intermediate mounts so to speak, i basically just wanted to weld sides on them to make them stronger less prone to flex and i wanted to make sure they were right / would fit before i did that
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That might be a good idea but could more of a hindrance than it is worth. I dont think there is much flex there. You could ''pin'' the rubber mounts if you want less flex.& could save from ripping the rubber if you have lots of torque. I just drilled holes thru them & added 1 big bolt thru the intermediate & to back side of engine mount. but some do the counter sinking with 2 smaller bolts on each one.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I did the latter - counter-sunk 2 5/16 flat-head hex drive bolts in each mount with lock nuts on the “inside”. You shouldn’t get much/any flex outta the frame brackets.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

This is a good thread about the countersunk kind like rocket did.& would be the best way , the pics tell the story;
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/engine- ... ounts.html

Here is a pic of mine. I just used a bolt & locknut thru the L bracket too
Johno