Horrible sound

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
thrnelson

Horrible sound

Post by thrnelson »

Is there a way to post a video here? This weekend I went out and fired up my Comet and it was making some ugly sounds. It is a squeal that sounds metallic and not a belt. It is there while the car is idling and it gets worse when giving it gas but goes away as I am revving the engine in around 2000 rpm. Unfortunately I do not have anybody near me that can stop by and listen to it so I am hoping if I post a video somebody can offer an opinion.

Thanks,
Trent

poboyjo65

Re: Horrible sound

Post by poboyjo65 »

you could put a video on youtube then post up a link to it. I use a 3-4' long pc of garden hose as a stethoscope to track down noises. it will get really loud when you get the end near the noise. I have a mechanics stethoscope but it hears too well & is confusing, the garden hose is much better,& wont amplify the sound as bad unless you have the end right on the noise. & if you bump it on a moving pulley or something it wont deafen you like the stethoscope will :lol:
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

Are we taking wild ass guesses yet, or waiting for the video?

Have you made any changes recently or it came out of nowhere?

How about something to do with the flywheel/flexplate or the starter gear hanging up?

Seems I had that problem once, and it sounded metal.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

Thank you for thinking with me. I decided to check the easiest thing first and pulled off the alternator belt. The mystery is solved. The noise went away.

Thanks again. I wanted to get a single wire anyway.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I love it when it's that easy. I'm guessing same belt runs the w pump but either way you have the problem cornered.
Johno